Dyno Hub Device Recharging

rifraf

Re: Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:16 am

il padrone wrote:
Very favourable reviews and an excellent price.

I have been unwilling to trust such powerbank batteries that are designed for a general market. They lack the sort of impact and water protection that I have been very happy with on my Powermonkey Extreme 9,000mAh and NewTrent PowerPak Ultra 14,000mAh batteries. The Powermonkey Extreme has been on the market for over 6 years and is still excellent quality technology, but unfortunately NewTrent now no longer market their PowerPak Ultra (nor any batteries at all) for some reason (available on Amazon for a good deal more than I bought mine :o ). The NewTrent will charge my mobile phone (Galaxy S4) four-five times on a single charge.

I had a bad experience with a (seemingly) very good value battery from Kogan which was not waterproof, but seemed a good solution for a bigger capacity. However in use, while travelling in my handlebar bag and being charged, the micro-USB input terminal broke off and left me with a useless lump of lithium ion :(

I shall stay with batteries designed for a more robust, outdoor-oriented use rather than designs with the fancy burnished stainless steel finish that are intended for home, desk, and airline travel uses.
You've likely already said in another post IP, but have you looked at opening the unit up with an eye to repairing it?
I'd have never guessed that they were openable until someone in the forum showed pics of the same model I own with its innards exposed.
I've also seen pics of the Xiaomi battery being talked about being split and the guts shown.
It seems to me you've nothing to lose except a pricy paper weight.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:46 pm

I am not any sort of sparky, and I have a perfectly good, functioning, high-quality shockproof and water-protected battery to do the job much more reliably. Yes, the Kogan is a paperweight, but I have written it off as a bad show. If anyone else wants to offer me money for it I will be ahead.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:48 pm

The quality on the Xiaomi seems to be excellent but given the price it's incredible value. If it fails I'll put it down to being either a fake, a dud or me being rough but any device is prone to the latter especially a little usb plug with tiny contacts and an easily bendable tongue.

Kogan? well....

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:57 pm

Just got the Xiaomi today, from http://www.gearbest.com/mobile-power-ba ... 44271.html Really nice bit of gear. I paid $3 extra for a silicone sleeve, which is probably worth while. Definitely has a heavy feel of quality and came up as genuine when checked. I figure that it doesn't need to be waterproof because you can't use any USB device in or out when it's wet because of electrolysis of the terminals. So if I'm charging from the Forumslader it needs to be stored somewhere dry anyway. Been checking it out with the little USB ammeters that arrived the same day.Need to find a USB load like a fan to drain it completely so I can check the capacity.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:11 pm

What did the verification site look like? Was there a tick? Mine said "the product you are checking is a MI powerbank" so I guess that's what it is.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:35 pm

Trevtassie wrote:...So if I'm charging from the Forumslader...
Tell us about your Forumslader.
Scant English language detail is available on the web.
I gather it is something similar to an E-Werk or Sinewave device.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Tim wrote:
Bit more advanced than both from what I can work out. Uses a microprocessor to control things like a voltage double at low wheel RPM to increase output and switches various things on and off to maximise the watts available depending on the AC frequency available from the hub. Plus also has a built in battery with cell balancing and a 5V USB output and a 12V output, can pull up to 3A from the USB outlet using the batteries and whatever is available from the hub. Best thing is to use google translate to have a look at the web pages.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:29 pm

Leaf T wrote:What did the verification site look like? Was there a tick? Mine said "the product you are checking is a MI powerbank" so I guess that's what it is.
I used the one linked from here https://www.techmesto.com/identify-fake ... ower-bank/ if you check it again it should say it's now been queried 2 times, if it's been queried more than the number of times you've queried it then likely is fake, according to that site...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:30 pm

I was the first to check it. I'm guessing it's the real thing. It certainly looks well made and not at all cheap.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:30 am

Tim wrote:
I spotted a forum post including a pic and description here:

http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10609 ... sions.html

Cheers :)

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:48 am

That's the steerer tube model, looks like it's built up as well. The one I'm waiting for is kit form, and I had to buy the batteries separately, and they are much bigger than those ones...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:48 pm

I see Cecil Walker has the Supernova Dynamo Lights like the Supernova E3 Pro With Handlebar Mount Now $149.95

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/bike- ... /102699571

Supernova E3 TRIPLE +handlebar mount Now $199.95

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/bike- ... /102699573

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:47 pm

rifraf wrote:I see Cecil Walker has the Supernova Dynamo Lights like the Supernova E3 Pro With Handlebar Mount Now $149.95

Beware - still a good light, but I think you'll find it's the old model. I saw that ad on Bikeexchange a couple of months ago but was suspicious and emailed to check. I'm surprised it's not been fixed.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun May 01, 2016 1:28 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:I see Cecil Walker has the Supernova Dynamo Lights like the Supernova E3 Pro With Handlebar Mount Now $149.95

Beware - still a good light, but I think you'll find it's the old model. I saw that ad on Bikeexchange a couple of months ago but was suspicious and emailed to check. I'm surprised it's not been fixed.
Good save RonK, as the literature on their E3 Pro page seemed to imply it was the newer improved version.

"NEW! Terraflux 2 lens with improved beam! "
"Improved beam pattern for road use"

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 01, 2016 1:38 pm

Old photo for the light on that page, but their product description seems to read as the new model ie. E3 Pro2 which has the side-illumination logo.
The top model of our dynamo light series accompanies bike travellers to the most remote regions of the globe as reliably as it lights the way of commuters on their daily way to work. Its extremely bright light provides great safety in traffic and leaves no pothole and no shard of glass unlit. The side-illumination greatly increases the safety in traffic and the brightly glowing Supernova logo is a real highlight you will enjoy.
Best bet might be to ring up or email CW and confirm the product is what you hope it is, before purchase :idea:

[edit] Sorry, I see the checking has been done. OK.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 01, 2016 10:17 pm

It looks like Alpkit in the UK are selling dynamos now; I assume a rebranded existing model. They are calling it Love Mud Juice and have it listed for £59.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 01, 2016 11:13 pm

Outward appearance looks identical to the SP PD-8

Mandatory helmet law?

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I have recently got a Sp PD 8X and am looking at using it for a USB charger. I am very close to ordering the sinewave cycles revolution. I like it because as well as charging from the hub I can connect it to a DC source under 50 odd volts and still charge.

I would also like a small portable battery that has about 24 Ah capacity with a 12 volt output with up to 2 amps out. This needs to be charged by a USB charged such as by the sinewave revolution

I realise that eBay has plenty of batteries with totally unrealistic capacities listed so was hoping for a better brand. Ideally I would like to use a LiFePO 4s but realise they seem very difficult to charge. I want it to power a radio transmitter such as the Yaesu Ft 817.

Any comment please.

octagonalman

Postby octagonalman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Perhaps look at the cells on Hobby King. They should be fairly reputable as those cells get a pretty rough life powering RC quadcopters and the like.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:33 pm

uad782 wrote:I would also like a small portable battery that has about 24 Ah capacity with a 12 volt output with up to 2 amps out. This needs to be charged by a USB charged such as by the sinewave revolution
Lots, and lots of cycling to charge a battery of that size.
I haven't looked at batteries for a fair while now but it appears that not many off-the-shelf models these days put out anything but a 5V USB current through one or several outlets.
The Powertraveller gear is expensive but well made. The Powergorilla battery has variable output including 12V and close to your required capacity;
https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/ ... ergorilla/
The Minigorilla also has 12V output but lower capacity;
https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/ ... nigorilla/
I've been using a Minigorilla on all my tours for numerous years now. It still holds a charge and works well.
I charge it from the hub via an Ewerk at 9V/1.3A. I'm not sure if it will charge at 5V (direct from the Sinewave device).
The Goal Zero batteries might also be worth a look in. The Sherpa 50 puts out 12V too but I don't know about recharge requirements.
Last edited by Tim on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:54 pm

I have a few LiPo's and LiFePo's from Hobbyking. They do work great however you need a balance charger and a few hundred watts to charge.

I like the idea of the power monkey type battery thanks.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:54 pm

uad782 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have recently got a Sp PD 8X and am looking at using it for a USB charger. I am very close to ordering the sinewave cycles revolution. I like it because as well as charging from the hub I can connect it to a DC source under 50 odd volts and still charge.

I would also like a small portable battery that has about 24 Ah capacity with a 12 volt output with up to 2 amps out. This needs to be charged by a USB charged such as by the sinewave revolution

I realise that eBay has plenty of batteries with totally unrealistic capacities listed so was hoping for a better brand. Ideally I would like to use a LiFePO 4s but realise they seem very difficult to charge. I want it to power a radio transmitter such as the Yaesu Ft 817.

Any comment please.
Seems to me a Busch & Muller E-WERK with adjustable output voltage and current would be a better charging option for your purposes.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks Ron

What about in general does anyone have any comment on the use/quality of either the sinewave or the B and m ?

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:01 pm

uad782 wrote:Thanks Ron

What about in general does anyone have any comment on the use/quality of either the sinewave or the B and m ?
Re the Sinewave - how do you charge a 12V battery with a 5V charger?

Another option would be the Forumslader.

TrevTassie has built a couple of these, you can find the discussion here.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:04 pm

uad782 wrote:Thanks Ron

I can't comment on the Sinewave.

I've owned the B&M E-werk, with its cache battery now for a number of years.

The attachment cables corroded somewhat after a few years which I put down to living coastal, but like all good products, finding replacement cables was a doddle.

SJS cycles had them in stock and I quickly received them.

Funnily enough, you've reminded me I should actually get around to replacing them as I still have the corroded ones on board the bike and they are still working for all intents and purposes.

I leave my charging system on the bike all year round and have only one bike so its shown little mercy given that I no longer drive.

I haven't played with the different voltage settings myself as my setup is simply set to USB output voltage/amps.

Actually I'll add, I like my bikes charging system so much, I bought the same setup for my Extrawheel trailer as well as mirrored the wheel build with Son28 dynohub, dyad rim etc.

You need to remember though, its not unlimited power and its output correlates with your speed and duration.

It takes some hours to charge my phone significantly.