Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Max

Re: Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby Max » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 am

I've been following this thread with interest. There's a lot of information and I'm feeling a little overwhelemed. I wonder if anyone can make it simple for me, like a recipe? Something like:

Dynamo + some doodad + some cable + whatever = charged iPad (or iPhone, or netbook or whatever)

Can anyone summarise it for me please?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 am

Max wrote:I've been following this thread with interest. There's a lot of information and I'm feeling a little overwhelemed. I wonder if anyone can make it simple for me, like a recipe? Something like:

Dynamo + some doodad + some cable + whatever = charged iPad (or iPhone, or netbook or whatever)

Max
Yep that's basically it:

Dynamo + adapter/converter doodad + device + a few hours riding at a decent speed = charged device.

I think that for an iPad, like any Apple iOS device, you will also need to use the cache battery if you get a B&M eWerk. Not sure about the other dynamo adapters. The eWerk is seriously so easy to use and versatile though. Well worth it IMO. I'm sure the other alternatives are just as good though depending on what sort of devices you want to charge.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Max

Postby Max » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 am

elStado wrote:
Max wrote:I've been following this thread with interest. There's a lot of information and I'm feeling a little overwhelemed. I wonder if anyone can make it simple for me, like a recipe? Something like:

Max
Yep that's basically it:

Dynamo + adapter/converter doodad + device + a few hours riding at a decent speed = charged device.
OK, so you're saying the "formula" for an eWerk is:

Dynamo + eWerk + eWerk cache battery = charged GPS/iPad/iPhone/netbook (with the caveat that one must remember to charge the voltage and current output before plugging the device in).

There's quite a few other devices out there (PME, Reecharge etc). I think I'll start putting together a spreadsheet of all of them. I'll put a link to it once I'm done so you guys can make comments/suggestions/improvements.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:51 am

OK, here are couple of formulas:
1. dynamohub + Biologic Reecharge = charged iPhone, camera, GoPro, or Delorme Inreach
2. dynamohub + Pedalpower Super-I-Cable = charged iPhone, camera, GoPro, or Delorme Inreach

Both these devices have integrated batteries.
Last edited by RonK on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 am

I have just done 3,000 km with my PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable and would no longer recommend it. For me it is just not robust enough to handle bicycle touring. The output cable where it goes into the connector (where you then plug in the accessory cable) slowly broke down to the point where I had to continue to fiddle with it to get a charge happening. IN the end I pretty much "hardwired" so to speak the GPSr cable to the Super-i-Cable so I could at least keep that going.

With that I couldn't use it to charge my iPad, iPod or phone.

I will be taking up my concerns with PedalPower+ today and will update on their response but this is now my second unit from them so not looking good.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:32 am

Aushiker wrote:I have just done 3,000 km with my PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable and would no longer recommend it. For me it is just not robust enough to handle bicycle touring. The output cable where it goes into the connector (where you then plug in the accessory cable) slowly broke down to the point where I had to continue to fiddle with it to get a charge happening. IN the end I pretty much "hardwired" so to speak the GPSr cable to the Super-i-Cable so I could at least keep that going.

With that I couldn't use it to charge my iPad, iPod or phone.

I will be taking up my concerns with PedalPower+ today and will update on their response but this is now my second unit from them so not looking good.

Andrew
Not good. I prefer the Reecharge anyway and will take it to NZ. The Super-I-Cable has a little more battery capacity but I don't much like the mounting options.

Max

Postby Max » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. I've put my spreadsheet here: http://maximumbiketouring.wordpress.com ... -the-road/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please let me know of other devices you've charged (be specific - eg what model camera etc), and how. I'll add it to the spreadsheet.

Max

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Max wrote:
OK, so you're saying the "formula" for an eWerk is:

Dynamo + eWerk + eWerk cache battery = charged GPS/iPad/iPhone/netbook (with the caveat that one must remember to charge the voltage and current output before plugging the device in).
I've gone with

Dynamo hub + eWerk + Powermonkey Extreme = charging for mobile phone, mp3 player, iPad and wireless modem. My camera has a separate charger that only uses 240V and the GPS has AA batteries.

Charging is easy, the USB connection to the battery means no worries about setting voltage and amps. This set-up gives much more charges than the eWerk cache battery, but the 900 mA Powermonkey Extreme takes at least a day of riding to charge fully.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Max, I've checked out your spreadsheet and it all looks ok other than charging or powering the netbooks. The E werk can only put out a maximum of around 13V, not sure about the cache battery (only 5V USB, I think) or the Biologic/Pedalpower but fairly certain none of them will produce 19.5V. Solar, maybe, but from what I've read it takes ages (maybe days) to charge up a notebook unless it is a solar panel considerably larger than the Powermonkey Extreme's, which can't produce 19V anyway. Another option is to carry a storage battery such as the Minigorilla, that's what I have, it has variable voltage output up to 19V but even then it will only power a netbook for a couple of hours max. and takes about 5 hours to charge off the hub/EWerk. The Powermonkey and the Minigorilla come from the same company, Powertraveller. They also sell the Powergorilla that has a capacity of 21Ah (the Powermonkey and Minigorilla batteries are only 9Ah) and can be charged from the hub or a separate solar panel and also puts out 19V. The Powergorilla will run a netbook for much longer. Sounds good, but it is much more bulky, heavy and more expensive and probably takes forever ie. days to recharge from the hub. There are all sorts of external netbook/laptop batteries available elsewhere at much cheaper prices but few of them have the variable output of the Mini or Powergorilla. I concluded that recharging a netbook is really only practical from a 240V source. A bike dynamo just can't produce that much energy in a reasonable length of time.
My system consists of constantly charging the Minigorilla on the road (Hub>EWerk>Minigorilla), it takes around 5 hours to fully charge. The battery sits neatly in my Ortleib handlebar bag pocket. I can then recharge my devices such as the GPS and phone later.
I also have an Eneloop (Sanyo) USB AA and AAA battery charger. It takes between 60 and 280 minutes to charge AA or AAA batteries depending on whether I charge 1 or 2 batteries and which size they are. It can be powered from the Minigrilla or direct from the EWerk.
Hope I haven't confused things too much.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Phew, after all that drivel just buy any one of the simple EWerk type devices with a USB output and leave the netbook at home or plug it into the wall. Looking at all your gizmos they all seem to charge at 5V. Sorry about all the carry on, I get a bit excited about these things. :? :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Hehe - so what is the formula Tim? :)

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Leave the whole darn lot at home and take a book. :D

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Well who knows what the new windows slates will be like for charging wise. I'm waiting to see.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:58 pm

I hate wiring so much that I've yet to add my E-Werk to my bike. :o
Baalzamons experience of a damaged cache battery scares the hell out of me.
I'll get around to at some stage but am doing a bit of procrastination currently. :?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:02 pm

rifraf wrote:I hate wiring so much that I've yet to add my E-Werk to my bike. :o
Baalzamons experience of a damaged cache battery scares the hell out of me.
I'll get around to at some stage but am doing a bit of procrastination currently. :?
Well I did know it was operator error :) Plugged cables in the wrong way EEP
But after I got rid of the battery thinking it was dead, I then also realised I had the E-werk on the wrong settings for it so!!! May have thrown away a working cache battery or dead one, it is unknown now.
But now I've got a powermonkey extreme and I'm liable to get another E-werk

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Baalzamon wrote: Well I did know it was operator error :) Plugged cables in the wrong way EEP
But after I got rid of the battery thinking it was dead, I then also realised I had the E-werk on the wrong settings for it so!!! May have thrown away a working cache battery or dead one, it is unknown now.
Did you let your last one go with the Thorn? :shock:
Remind me, is your bent a trike? If so which wheel will you utilise for a dynohub?
Any thoughts as to what brand hub you'll go for next time?
I have to admit that hearing that SP are offering a 2 year warranty and their keen pricing I'd be tempted
to give them a go once I've had longer to hear some feedback on longevity.
As for operator error, thats what I'm worried about doing.
Its making sure that I get the polarity for my Edelux and the cache battery the same which as there is no
+ or - stamped on the Sondelux.
It isnt as straight forward for my inexperience as I thought.
Its just getting my head in the right space to get it right. :oops:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:35 pm

rifraf wrote:
Baalzamon wrote: Well I did know it was operator error :) Plugged cables in the wrong way EEP
Did you let your last one go with the Thorn? :shock:
Remind me, is your bent a trike? If so which wheel will you utilise for a dynohub?
Any thoughts as to what brand hub you'll go for next time?
I have to admit that hearing that SP are offering a 2 year warranty and their keen pricing I'd be tempted
to give them a go once I've had longer to hear some feedback on longevity.
As for operator error, thats what I'm worried about doing.
Its making sure that I get the polarity for my Edelux and the cache battery the same which as there is no
bent is a Ice Adventure FS HD trike yep.
To get a dynamo umm $1000 at least for it unless someone on BROLhas his got his Sturmey archer drum brake solution operational for a dynamo then it's not $1000.
I'm going to be hoping back on my Masi now which I can use a Son28 classic dynamo with tyre widths 28mm - 45mm, but I also want another dynamo for tyres from 23-28mm. I'll be seriously looking at the SP dynamo later in the year when my mileage starts to creep up with my Masi. Just4thehellaboutit should have a decent run on his SP by then. My supernova E3 doesn't matter which way I plug it in, nor the ewerk.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:02 pm

rifraf wrote:Its making sure that I get the polarity for my Edelux and the cache battery the same which as there is no
The SONdelux generates AC so there is no + or - needed.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:57 am

KenGS wrote:
rifraf wrote:Its making sure that I get the polarity for my Edelux and the cache battery the same which as there is no
The SONdelux generates AC so there is no + or - needed.
Yes but I think my Edelux does have + and - and my E-werk definitely does (from memory)
so its the mixing and matching of my light (headlight only) and E-werk thats
creating confusion for me.
What I want is for my Edelux to come straight off the hub as it does at the moment.
I also want my Ewerk to do the same via double connectors (included with the E-Werk package)
and then the E-Werk to charge its cache battery which will be connected to my Edge 800.
E-Werk to Edge 800 is a no brainer but the connections south of the E-Werk have me scratching my head.
I've heard of some of our members here wrecking cameras and cache batteries and I'd like to miss out on
the experience. :|
Wiring beyond cleaning faulty earths is beyond my faculties these days as age creeps up. :oops:

Max

Postby Max » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:46 am

Based on the feedback received so far, I've updated the spreadsheet and it is available here. I've added a few rows of data and also an extra column called "Proven combination". I'm starting to lose track of who's used what combination, so if you see a combination you have used and know definitely works, please let me know the row number and I'll put a great big "Y" in that column :D

Max

Max

Postby Max » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:11 am

Tim wrote:<snippity>(Hub>EWerk>Minigorilla)</snippity>
Tim, can you confirm something for me please? I'm looking at the Minigorilla's specs, and it seems it can be charged using its mains charger or through the SolarGorilla product. Can I assume then that you are using the E-Werk as a defacto SolarGorilla? Which voltage and current settings do you use on the E-werk to charge the Minigorilla? And which connector cable/s from the E-werk to the minigorilla?

Max

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:06 am

I charge the Minigorilla direct from the EWerk at 9Volts and 1.3Amps. Due to the higher voltage and amperage it charges faster than the Powermonkey Extreme (5V/1A), it makes more efficient use of the EWerk output.
The EWerk comes supplied with two outlet connector cables that each have a bare end, ie. no plugs or pins attached on the device end, just bare wires. I had an electronics store solder the correct male pin to the EWerk cable end. Cost-$2.80.
You could add the Sanyo Eneloop USB battery charger to the list. Small and light weight, it charges AA and AAA batteries, very handy if you use these batteries whilst camping.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5387.htm

I've also been able to charge an AYUP battery from the Minigorilla though I don't use the Ayups for touring.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks for that, Tim. I've updated the spreadsheet to include the AA and Ayup batteries. I should've updated the "confirmed" column, but I forgot :roll:

Max

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Woo hoo :!:
I think I've gotten my E-werk wired up correctly and
the voltage and amp dials in the proper place.
My battery led is glowing when I spin the wheel and my
Edge 800 woke up when I plugged in the USB type plug from the cache battery. :D

Dr Frankenstien shouting "it's alive, it lives" springs to mind. :wink:
Can you hear the manic laughter :?: :wink:
Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Egor pour me another wine :!:

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Good fun isn't it. I felt the same way when my EWerk started charging my Minigorilla battery, Yeeehaaah. It was even better when it fully charged the MG from half empty, took a few hours of riding though. It all appeals to the inner (well hidden) geek.