Dyno Hub Device Recharging

il padrone

Re: Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:06 pm

elStado wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:My Samsung Galaxy S2 charges on the fly off my ewerk. My Garmin 705 does as well, so I don't think you would have a problem with your HTC Desire
I don't quite understand the technology, but from what I read on the StarBike website it seems that I'd probably need the cache battery too for a smartphone?
Samsung Galaxy S2 is a smartphone, so should have similar battery requirements.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:25 pm

il padrone wrote:
elStado wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:My Samsung Galaxy S2 charges on the fly off my ewerk. My Garmin 705 does as well, so I don't think you would have a problem with your HTC Desire
I don't quite understand the technology, but from what I read on the StarBike website it seems that I'd probably need the cache battery too for a smartphone?
Samsung Galaxy S2 is a smartphone, so should have similar battery requirements.
I know what a SG2 is, my mate has one. My question would be how you would be able to tell what would need the additional cache battery? It's a pretty expensive addition so being able to ditch that and getting a cheaper mount would help make it a more affordable option. I still think that ~$150 AUD is a bit too expensive for what purpose it will serve.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:19 am

Just received my Biologic Dahon thingamabob charger and plan on using it to charge my:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Will let you know how it goes...

Not really interested in gps/cameras/laptops etc, which the eWerk might be more suited for...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:25 am

elStado wrote: I know what a SG2 is, my mate has one. My question would be how you would be able to tell what would need the additional cache battery? It's a pretty expensive addition so being able to ditch that and getting a cheaper mount would help make it a more affordable option. I still think that ~$150 AUD is a bit too expensive for what purpose it will serve.
I don't have the cache battery and it charged my sg2, that was prior to ICS tho so need to test again :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:41 am

Baalzamon wrote:
elStado wrote: I know what a SG2 is, my mate has one. My question would be how you would be able to tell what would need the additional cache battery? It's a pretty expensive addition so being able to ditch that and getting a cheaper mount would help make it a more affordable option. I still think that ~$150 AUD is a bit too expensive for what purpose it will serve.
I don't have the cache battery and it charged my sg2, that was prior to ICS tho so need to test again :)
Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich? I don't see how a software update will affect the hardware functionality of it. But please do test it and give us an update on how it goes.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:05 am

The cache battery is more likely required for iPhones as they are much more sensitive to voltage changes and hence the battery is used to charge the phone, not the eWerk itself. This is unlikely to be an issue with Android phones. My Google (Samsung) Nexus S works fine with my Pedal Power Super-i-Cabledirectly providing power whereas if I was using an iPhone I would need to put the Super-i-Cable into on mode so that the battery did the charging rather than the unit itself. Make sense?

A Google search should provide plenty of background information on the topic.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:09 am

elStado wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:
Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich? I don't see how a software update will affect the hardware functionality of it. But please do test it and give us an update on how it goes.
Ah now I previously had an iPhone and now I'm freeeeee. But when they updated their iOS on it it broke powering up by the cache battery, so I will not trust any apple device when touring now with my ewerk. And besides I am free of them now and highly doubt I will have another apple device in the future.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:51 am

Regardless of which charge regulating device you choose, a system which incorporates an auxilliary battery that can be charged via mains as well as dynamo power is always going to be more versatile.

If you need adjustable voltage outputs then the e-werk and an external auxilliary battery is probably the best choice. If you don't need adjustable voltage outputs, then the Super-I-Cable or the Reecharge, both with internal batteries, are likely to be more convenient and will probably cost less.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bananaman24

Postby bananaman24 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Discussion has been very helpful.. I'm still keen to find a solution for camera batteries, specifically Canon DSLR ones such as LP - E6. Can a dynohub charge into a converter with enough power for a mains charger? Or can you charge a DSLR battery via a third party USB charger? (Which can be charged via Dynohub..)
Cheers

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 07, 2012 2:53 pm

bananaman24 wrote:Discussion has been very helpful.. I'm still keen to find a solution for camera batteries, specifically Canon DSLR ones such as LP - E6. Can a dynohub charge into a converter with enough power for a mains charger? Or can you charge a DSLR battery via a third party USB charger? (Which can be charged via Dynohub..)
Cheers
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking that hasn't already been covered.

Yes, you can get a USB charger for a Canon LP-E6.

And yes, an auxilliary battery system such as the Reecharge or PowerMonkey or similar with a USB port will be able to charge the camera battery.

But no, you probably won't be able to charge directly from the dynamo hub. Or via a converter and mains charger.
Last edited by RonK on Tue May 08, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon May 07, 2012 3:23 pm

G'day Bananaman. Welcome to the world of bicycle electronic gadget charging and all things cycling. I am not an expert but have been doing all sorts of experimentation with various devices and my bike dynohub and E Werk rectifier (AC from hub to DC gadget current converter). So far I have succeeded in charging a phone, GPS, AA and AAA batteries, headlamp batteries and a larger 9Ah auxiliary battery. That said, it generally takes heaps of cycling to charge these things eg. about four hours to charge two AA batteries and up to eight hours to charge the large storage/auxiliary battery.
To answer your question, no, a hub dynamo won't power your AC mains camera charger, it can't produce 110-240Volts. It will however produce 5Volts DC at between 0.5 and 1.0Amp (via an E Werk or similar rectifier) to power a third party USB connected charger that will then charge your battery. My GPS and AA and AAA charger are both powered from a USB connection and it works perfectly. A word of warning though. Others have "cooked" batteries and devices with incorrect voltage and amperage settings, check with someone that knows precisely what they are talking about. None-the-less a bike hub will generate enough current to charge your battery if set up properly.
Just as a side note from earlier discussions I have found that my E Werk is in fact charging my Edge 800, rather than just powering it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 08, 2012 11:44 am

Just came across this device, called the Softhema. Read a good review of at the YACF forums.

Andrew

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Tue May 08, 2012 12:21 pm

The website says it connects to a hub direct current generator but the SON and others are alternating current. The specs mention a rectifier (which would normally convert AC to DC). Confusing.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 am

KenGS wrote:The website says it connects to a hub direct current generator but the SON and others are alternating current. The specs mention a rectifier (which would normally convert AC to DC). Confusing.
OK I can now report on using the Softhema thingy with a battery pack (the Reecharge one) on a multi-day ride. We did 536km riding to the Brevet Cymru and back over a 44 hour period. I wired up the Softhema cable direct to piggyback spades on the SON dynamo hub using a twin core wire from my tool box (I think it was the one you get with the hub for adding a rear light) as an extension because the front hub is a long way from where I want my Garmin on the back of the tandem.

More at YACF

Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Anyone tried or heard of the Supernova 'Plug'?

Looks pretty nice, lightweight, minimalist no added bulk. Though they apparently start from $200 and are a bit fiddly to first install.

More here: http://commutercycles.com.au/news/2012/2274/#more-2274

RonK

Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:47 pm

That's a Tout Terrain Plug, or a copy. Hmmmm - perhaps Supernova make them for Tout Terrain?
You can buy from Bike24. 159 Euros
Last edited by RonK on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:10 pm

RonK wrote:That's a Tout Terrain Plug, or a copy. Hmmmm - perhaps Supernova make them for Tout Terrain?
I think that supernova bought Tout over

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 pm

If that is the case I wonder whether Supernova are now selling the Tout Terrain bikes as well? It'd be a bit of a big step to go from bike lights into full-on bike manufacture. They do some unique bikes.

The Panamericana

Silkroad Xplore - first bike on the market I've seen with the 18 speed Pinion gearbox
Mandatory helmet law?

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm still on the hunt for something to recharge my HTC Desire HD smartphone while I am on extended tours. I really don't like the idea of being forced to find a free powerpoint (often in the bathroom of a camp ground) every day or second day to recharge my phone and camera batteries (I am mainly concerned with charging my phone though). I am hoping that I will have access to GPS and data while in Europe on my phone (I'll have to figure out the details with Vodafone) but using my phone as a GPS/mapping device will result in only ~8 hours battery a day if it isn't being charged.

I've also been looking at various weatherproof, lightweight solar powered options too. It's all pretty experimental and expensive technology still though. I don't want to pay hundreds just to charge my phone from my dynamo hub or a small solar panel.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Well since I'm not able ride my DF's and stuck on my trike I had my options limited
over $1000 for a dynamo setup and converting to disk brakes
Or solar charger or something like that, in comes the Powermonkey Extreme. I've successfully charged my Samsung Galaxy s2, my kindle and my Garmin Edge 705 with it. And the 705 still operates whilst charging. I should get 6-7 charges out of it before it's flat and it comes with a solar panel which will charge the batteries in 15hrs or it can plug into a powerpoint and charge up. Looks like this is going to keep my happy for quite a while now and only $165 from http://www.techbuy.com.au

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:22 pm

+1

It's what I'll be using, and I can charge it from the E-werk as well.
Mandatory helmet law?

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well since I'm not able ride my DF's and stuck on my trike I had my options limited
over $1000 for a dynamo setup and converting to disk brakes
Or solar charger or something like that, in comes the Powermonkey Extreme. I've successfully charged my Samsung Galaxy s2, my kindle and my Garmin Edge 705 with it. And the 705 still operates whilst charging. I should get 6-7 charges out of it before it's flat and it comes with a solar panel which will charge the batteries in 15hrs or it can plug into a powerpoint and charge up. Looks like this is going to keep my happy for quite a while now and only $165 from http://www.techbuy.com.au
Not a bad price, but it's heavy at 800g. ED: Just noticed that's the shipping weight. Actual weight is 460g of the battery + solar components.

Still not sure what I'll do. Worry about charging options or just put my phone on flight mode and ration out the battery. It would be nice to be able to find a free wifi connection to check emails etc every few days without being worried about having to find a recharge spot.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Weight break down
Case 102grams
Solar charger with strap 234grams
Battery 258grams
So 594 with the case, but I'm not sure I'll be carrying that, so 492 grams all up.
Weight seems really off with listed weights....

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:53 pm

I just today ordered (from bike24) an E-werk and its battery pack.
I really could have done with it on my NSW to WA tour.
I found my Garmin was dead weight without recharging ability.
Looking forward to its arrival and hoping its not too extended a wait. :)
Hopeful it might be able to charge my old nokia phone as well.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:43 pm

elStado wrote:I'm still on the hunt for something to recharge my HTC Desire HD smartphone while I am on extended tours. I really don't like the idea of being forced to find a free powerpoint (often in the bathroom of a camp ground) every day or second day to recharge my phone and camera batteries (I am mainly concerned with charging my phone though).
I don't want to pay hundreds just to charge my phone from my dynamo hub or a small solar panel.
Having been forced to endure sitting in caravan park laundries, lunchrooms (when they have them) and occasionally bathrooms
I can hear what your saying and second that desire not to have to do it (again).
However I'll happily pay hundreds (well approx $175 Au.) for the pleasure of not having to do it again as the money is
(hopefully) a once off and fit and forget.
It will add some security paranoia but I already have plenty of those thoughts already so will be looking into some
decent insurance for my bike.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.