Dyno Hub Device Recharging

rifraf

Re: Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:41 am

A sincere good luck to the SP buyers as they can only add competition to what has in the past really only been a one man show with regards low weight and decent warranty.
I'm happy with my Son purchase, being a known product and a known good one at that.
I hope SP is the same and can add some competition to the game in which we consumers win. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:09 am

Like most of us I'm not averse to another option and a good one it is too but when I get to buying another dyno hub I imagine there'll be plenty of info and long term user reviews on SON, Shimano and SP hubs.

rheicel

Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby rheicel » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:39 am

Wingnut wrote:Received my rebuilt dynamo BOB trailer wheel today...thank you Australia Post for the sharp ding on the rim edge...Marathon Plus tyre ordered from Chain Reaction Cycles today...

Rim is still true so just sanded the sharp edge off...

It looks nice Wingnut :D

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:23 pm

Just come across this product, the D1 Dynamo USB power battery. They compare it against the Busch & Muller USB-werk on the website. It might be of interest.

Andrew
Andrew

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:30 am

Aushiker wrote:Just come across this product, the D1 Dynamo USB power battery. They compare it against the Busch & Muller USB-werk on the website. It might be of interest.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. I am little bit confused if it does it have a built in buffer battery or its just a USB charger. Its quite big for just a dynamo to USB converter. I also don't like the tape thingy they are suggesting for the unused USB ports.
I still would like to try it though :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:36 pm

rheicel wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Just come across this product, the D1 Dynamo USB power battery. They compare it against the Busch & Muller USB-werk on the website. It might be of interest.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. I am little bit confused if it does it have a built in buffer battery or its just a USB charger. Its quite big for just a dynamo to USB converter. I also don't like the tape thingy they are suggesting for the unused USB ports.
I still would like to try it though :)
They must be expecting big sales - they have 10 in stock and can produce 7 per week.
I think I'll pass...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:46 pm

That statement scares me. I'll try other options :)

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:08 pm

I turned off when a loading screen came up...

avolve

Postby avolve » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Wingnut wrote:Received my rebuilt dynamo BOB trailer wheel today...thank you Australia Post for the sharp ding on the rim edge...Marathon Plus tyre ordered from Chain Reaction Cycles today...

Rim is still true so just sanded the sharp edge off...

Interested in what rim this is, as considering such a build for my BOB. I assume you are using it to charge stuff stored in the trailer (via USB), or is it hooked up for a rear light?

Another Q: why did you go with radial lacing?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Hey,

I'm not sure of rim type, will check when I get out of hospital. Built by Abbotsford Cycles, I use a Synwave device that can charge most device. I think radial due to rim depth didn't allow cross for such short spokes...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Did anyone buy one of those XIAOMI battery's I linked to above?

The 10,000mah is once again on special and I've just ordered one.

They can be found cheaper online but usually from China etc where the postage can be lengthy if they arrive at all.
Mushtato seems to have garnished a good reputation within the Ozbargain community for quick delivery times.
These are genuine and have a stamped code which you can look up on the manufacturers website.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/224180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be aware they do a variety of battery sizes and there is a 20,000mah supposedly to hit the Aussie shores in the new year.

Spotted a review or two:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/04/light ... -powerful/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/batte ... w-3619461/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.miui.com/thread-181767-1-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:11 pm

Well, great communication so far.
I ordered late last night and I just checked my mail and there is a confirmation email from Mushtato (the Aussie distributor) to say it had been dispatched and one from Auspost Tracking to confirm they have it and the delivery process has started.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:46 pm

I bought the 16000mah version - it's great.

Probably a bit too big for my needs if anything, it's quite heavy. But that's my fault - the product is awesome.

Super reliable, the ability to charge two devices at the same time is very handy. Build quality is excellent - it's like an apple product almost. It charges really quickly.

Highly recommended (but don't buy a bigger one than you need).

E

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:06 pm

My plan is to give it a twirl as a cache battery on the my Extrawheel trailer which has a dynamo hub and e-werk.
I figured I'd see how the lighter 10,000mah went and if needed, I'd simply grab another one for the opposite pannier.
Not sure I really needed it as I have a storage battery which I've used successfully to give me more time on my laptop so its really just an experiment for now.
My bikes front dynohub setup seems to keep up with the demands of my gps, phone and headlight torch.
The trailer set up is really in case I extend my usb charging needs for the likes of a camera, my laptops wifi modem and enhances the utility of the trailer somewhat.

Good to hear your pleased with your one. :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:22 am

A little bit of trivia, perhaps of questionable interest, but I spotted a link for a guy who strips down different rechargeable battery packs including some of the Xiaomi ones as well as a fake and what to watch for upon delivery of your purchase.

http://goughlui.com/category/power-bank-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm in no way a tech head so most of his work was waffle that went way over my head but I did enjoy the pictures..... :P

avolve

Postby avolve » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:29 pm

rifraf wrote:Did anyone buy one of those XIAOMI battery's I linked to above?
I have one, haven't used it much yet. No issues/works well thus far...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Is this the same thing? Moving house atm so don't have the time to give it my usual scrutiny so any opinions appreciated.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Original ... 45533.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Leaf T wrote:Is this the same thing? Moving house atm so don't have the time to give it my usual scrutiny so any opinions appreciated.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Original ... 45533.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It appears so.
Pays to check their feedback on Ozbargain site.
"Some" of those sites take a while to post and then the postage takes around a month if coming from China.
I payed a premium to buy from an Australian site and it was here in less than a week from memory.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:07 pm

Thanks RR. Ordered before I saw your post. I'll let you know if my handlebar bag bursts into flames :D

I bought the Arctic Power Bank 4000 about 18 months ago but have barely used it. Has been great for charging my phone so far. Charges well on USB and holds a charge for what seems like months but the one time I tried to charge it with the dynamo it didn't work but I think that may be a cable related problem.

http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Power-Bank ... B00AZW4MYI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:57 pm

I received the Xiaomi 10000mAh power bank from Geekbuying yesterday. It seems to be original although the verification process on the xiaomi website was not entirely clear. Anyway I charged it up last night and today let my Samsung Galaxy note neo get down to 10% battery. I plugged in the power bank and half an hour later my phone was over 60% and within 2 hours total it was fully charged.

That was with mobile data switched on so not bad I reckon. I had 3 LED's on power bank flashing after charging my phone so it's somewhere between 50-75% remaining capacity I guess. I'm yet to charge it on the dynamo but will let it charge a few times on USB before I do that. Not sure why though :D Must be a hangover from using NiCad batteries.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:18 pm

I've ordered a couple of the Forumsladers kits from Jens in Germany, plus I've ordered a 16,000mAH Xiaomi battery and some USB power meter data recorders to see what they're all doing...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:03 am

Leaf T wrote:I received the Xiaomi 10000mAh power bank from Geekbuying yesterday. It seems to be original although the verification process on the xiaomi website was not entirely clear. Anyway I charged it up last night and today let my Samsung Galaxy note neo get down to 10% battery. I plugged in the power bank and half an hour later my phone was over 60% and within 2 hours total it was fully charged.

That was with mobile data switched on so not bad I reckon. I had 3 LED's on power bank flashing after charging my phone so it's somewhere between 50-75% remaining capacity I guess. I'm yet to charge it on the dynamo but will let it charge a few times on USB before I do that. Not sure why though :D Must be a hangover from using NiCad batteries.
I look forward to reading how you get on with the battery and your thoughts on it.
How long did delivery take?
I ask I've been hesitant to order from the Chinese outlets despite them being cheaper than local importers.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:05 am

Trevtassie wrote:I've ordered a couple of the Forumsladers kits from Jens in Germany, plus I've ordered a 16,000mAH Xiaomi battery and some USB power meter data recorders to see what they're all doing...
I look forward to hearing more about this new technology and how you get on with it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:56 am

rifraf wrote:
Leaf T wrote:I received the Xiaomi 10000mAh power bank from Geekbuying yesterday. It seems to be original although the verification process on the xiaomi website was not entirely clear. Anyway I charged it up last night and today let my Samsung Galaxy note neo get down to 10% battery. I plugged in the power bank and half an hour later my phone was over 60% and within 2 hours total it was fully charged.

I look forward to reading how you get on with the battery and your thoughts on it.
How long did delivery take?
I ask I've been hesitant to order from the Chinese outlets despite them being cheaper than local importers.
Very favourable reviews and an excellent price.

I have been unwilling to trust such powerbank batteries that are designed for a general market. They lack the sort of impact and water protection that I have been very happy with on my Powermonkey Extreme 9,000mAh and NewTrent PowerPak Ultra 14,000mAh batteries. The Powermonkey Extreme has been on the market for over 6 years and is still excellent quality technology, but unfortunately NewTrent now no longer market their PowerPak Ultra (nor any batteries at all) for some reason (available on Amazon for a good deal more than I bought mine :o ). The NewTrent will charge my mobile phone (Galaxy S4) four-five times on a single charge.

I had a bad experience with a (seemingly) very good value battery from Kogan which was not waterproof, but seemed a good solution for a bigger capacity. However in use, while travelling in my handlebar bag and being charged, the micro-USB input terminal broke off and left me with a useless lump of lithium ion :(

I shall stay with batteries designed for a more robust, outdoor-oriented use rather than designs with the fancy burnished stainless steel finish that are intended for home, desk, and airline travel uses.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."