Options for keeping tyres inflated while touring?

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi all,

What is the best way to keep my tyres nicely inflated while on the road? I have a Vivente World Randonneur which currently has a pair of 35x700c Schwalbe Marathon tyres rated at 60-85 PSI, I usually have them at around 80 PSI for the rear tyre and 75 on the front. They, like most tyres, deflate over time and I usually top them up using my Serfas floor pump once a week to the desired level.. Otherwise I notice the bike start to feel sluggish after 2-3 of weeks if they haven't been done. The VWR has pump peg mounting points on the underside of the top tube which would be the best place for a classic long pump.

A quick forum search on the topic revealed that the Zefal HPX pump is one of the favourites for tourers. However I am having issues finding a place that stocks this pump and will ship to Perth. Can anyone reccomend a place where I can get one of these pumps, or alternatively recommended another pump suited for touring?

Thanks

ED: The Freedom Machine seem to stock the HPX for $50 + $10 shipping. Can I get it cheaper any where else?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

il padrone

Re: Options for keeping tyres inflated while touring?

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Schraeder or Presta valves?

I ask because ever since I have changed back to Presta I have noticed that my tyres hold pressure for a considerably longer time period. I rarely feel the need to check/top up my tyres on any tour under 2-3 weeks. Mostly I use the stand pump at home and I've not used the Lezyne Road Drive more than twice, for very minor top-ups, in 6-8 months. I run 26x175" Vittoria tyres, at 60-70psi.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Alot of variety here..... tubes, vales, tyres, rims, rim tape.......

Probably worthwhile discussing what ones do best. I've got tyres that last two weeks and ones that are lucky to last two days......go figure.....

85 shouldn't be hard to get with a hand pump. You're touring so there is no big rush like on a commute.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:22 pm

il padrone wrote:Schraeder or Presta valves?
Presta. I haven't had these long so not sure how long they hold a decent amount of air. I know my Vittoria Hyper City tyre on my other bike will lose around ~5 PSI a week which is pretty good considering it still rolls pretty nicely on 70 PSI and it easily holds 85 PSI. I'll be touring for around 4 weeks in Europe, so I guess it would be a fair call that I could just go into a bike shop every 2 weeks and top the tyres up.

I also have an adapter for presta valves so you can pump them up from servo air pumps - not ideal for common use but another option while on the road or for emergencies.

Another reason it would be good to have a decent pump with me on tour is to re-inflate the tyres if I get a puncture while on the road. Would rather not have to push a full loaded touring bike a few km through town with a flat tyre trying to find a bike shop. It'd destroy the tube completely, and probably the tyre too.

Max

Postby Max » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:46 pm

The VWR comes with schraeder tubes. Obviously, the rims have been drilled to accommodate the wider diameter. Can a presta tube be used in a rim that's been drilled for schraeder?

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Max wrote:The VWR comes with schraeder tubes. Obviously, the rims have been drilled to accommodate the wider diameter. Can a presta tube be used in a rim that's been drilled for schraeder?
Ah. I should have checked before saying anything. I haven't needed to pump it up yet and just assumed it would be presta given that these valves are pretty much the standard.

A little bit annoying actually, given what was said about presta holding air better, I have a few spare tires.. all in presta, and also that my pump is set up for presta as my other bike uses presta.. a bit of a chore.
Last edited by elStado on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Max wrote: Can a presta tube be used in a rim that's been drilled for schraeder?
Not normally, you'll risk tube rupture at the valve. You can get a washer/insert that you fit over your valve stem for this purpose however.
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 pm

Max wrote:The VWR comes with schraeder tubes. Obviously, the rims have been drilled to accommodate the wider diameter. Can a presta tube be used in a rim that's been drilled for schraeder?
Yes Max, if you use these special spacers.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:33 pm

I use an earlier version of the Lezyne Floor Drive, and check tyre pressures once a week on tour. A mounting bracket is supplied but i prefer to carry it in my rack bag - there is enough clutter on the frame already with three bidons attached.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 pm

elStado wrote:A little bit annoying actually, given what was said about presta holding air better, I have a few spare tires.. all in presta, and also that my pump is set up for presta as my other bike uses presta.. a bit of a chore.
Just get some inserts and fit them, el Stado. Presta valves are a fair bit easier to put air into as well, IME.
Mandatory helmet law?

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:54 pm

il padrone wrote:
elStado wrote:A little bit annoying actually, given what was said about presta holding air better, I have a few spare tires.. all in presta, and also that my pump is set up for presta as my other bike uses presta.. a bit of a chore.
Just get some inserts and fit them, el Stado. Presta valves are a fair bit easier to put air into as well, IME.
Yeah I'll look into it. Just a matter of finding them somewhere and getting them shipped here.

Had a look on ebay, they aren't cheap for two machined bits of alloy.. http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... Categories

I'll order these, swap over the tubes and keep the shraeder tubes as spares.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:31 am

RonK wrote:I use an earlier version of the Lezyne Floor Drive, and check tyre pressures once a week on tour.
I have an earlier Lezyne floor drive pump like Ronk on one bike but I mount off to the side of a bidon. On the Surly Long Haul Trucker I have a Topeak Turbo Morph. I like it as a gauge, well both pumps do. Handy for getting the pressures right when I change from bitumen to dirt and vice versa.

Lezyne floor drive pump

Topeak Turbo Morph

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:50 pm

I use the same pump as Ronk and Andrew.
I got the High Pressure version as opposed to the High Volume one - also available.
Seems to work great.
Like Ronk, I keep mine in a bag/pannier to keep frame clutter to a minimum. :)
Mine does seem to have an issue with the guage.
It sticks at 60psi before jumping to 80psi.
Its niggles me, as I would like to keep my bikes tyres at 65-70psi.
Being currently presta valve I cant just stop at the local servo to check. :roll:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Slim

Postby Slim » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:30 pm

The answer! - inflate your tyres as you ride.
http://adaptrac.com/
Clearly an essential piece of kit.
The only problem I can see is finding enough bar space alongside the: GPS, phone, battery, eWerk, espresso machine ... and brake levers. :P
Last edited by Slim on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:47 pm

elStado wrote:A quick forum search on the topic revealed that the Zefal HPX pump is one of the favourites for tourers. However I am having issues finding a place that stocks this pump and will ship to Perth. Can anyone reccomend a place where I can get one of these pumps, or alternatively recommended another pump suited for touring?

Thanks

ED: The Freedom Machine seem to stock the HPX for $50 + $10 shipping. Can I get it cheaper any where else?
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I ordered (and paid for) an HPX from them and was given the run around for about 2 months. Then one day I received a full refund with no explanation. Not an entirely bad outcome, but I don't think they'll be able to get an HPX for you even though it is listed on their website.

If you want an HPX, the best option is probably eBay. I ended up settling on a Park Tools PMP-5 which isn't bad, but I think I'd prefer something a bit more rugged if I were taking it on tour. I also have a Lezyne Steel Floor Drive track pump, and highly recommend it. I'd have to say that Lezyne probably make the best pumps currently available.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 pm

rkelsen wrote:
elStado wrote:A quick forum search on the topic revealed that the Zefal HPX pump is one of the favourites for tourers. However I am having issues finding a place that stocks this pump and will ship to Perth. Can anyone reccomend a place where I can get one of these pumps, or alternatively recommended another pump suited for touring?

Thanks

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I ordered (and paid for) an HPX from them and was given the run around for about 2 months. Then one day I received a full refund with no explanation. Not an entirely bad outcome, but I don't think they'll be able to get an HPX for you even though it is listed on their website.

If you want an HPX, the best option is probably eBay. I ended up settling on a Park Tools PMP-5 which isn't bad, but I think I'd prefer something a bit more rugged if I were taking it on tour. I also have a Lezyne Steel Floor Drive track pump, and highly recommend it. I'd have to say that Lezyne probably make the best pumps currently available.
Thanks for the info. I just had a quick browse on ebay and there's a few HPX pumps listed, however they are ~$40 plus $40 shipping... might have to keep looking or look elsewhere.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:01 pm

elStado wrote: I also have an adapter for presta valves so you can pump them up from servo air pumps - not ideal for common use but another option while on the road or for emergencies.
Just be aware that most servo's now have digital tyre inflators that max out at 60 psi. 60 psi might be good
for a limp home mode.

But the ones I've tried didn't work with the presta valve adaptors. Not sure if it was because the end of the presta valve didn't make the same fit with the inflator head as the center pin in a shraeder valve, or something else.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:53 am

The Topeak Morph pumps seems to be a favourite with many tourers out there (e.g. TravellingTwo and CyclingAbout). I was originally not going to bother with bringing a pump, but the more I think about it the more I would like the convienience and security of having a capable pump with the bike at all times while touring. Looking at around $40-50 from most places for either version (Road, Mountain, Turbo, Mini). My Schwalbe Marathon tyres run at around 70-80 PSI, what is the best option between the different version for pumping these up? Or is it much of a muchness?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 am

elStado wrote:I was originally not going to bother with bringing a pump, but the more I think about it the more I would like the convienience and security of having a capable pump with the bike at all times while touring.
I would never go on any sort of extended tour without a pump. I don't even go on day rides or commutes without one! Even with excellent tyres that have not had a puncture for many years, you still need to be able to top up the tyres every week or so. Stuffing your tyres with grass really doesn't work too well.

Best pump really is the Zefal HPX, but sadly no longer available. If you find one in a bike shop's NOS bin, or on ebay, grab it. Failing that I now use a Lezyne Road Drive - it's OK but really a bit too small in volume. I may get myself the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive - a bit similar to the Topeak Road Morph but better constructed I think. It comes in two versions - HV for up to 90psi, or HP for up to 160psi. I'd probably go for the HV for touring tyres.
Mandatory helmet law?