Thanks guys...

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Thanks guys...

Postby khendar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:21 am

I've been wanting to get into touring for a while now, so I decided to browse through the topics in this forum. Not only has it made me even more keen to get out on the road and out into the scrub, but it's given me a whole new set of gear to obsess about and spend too much money on. Having not been camping since I was in the Scouts, I'd be starting from scratch, which means I have to research and purchase racks, panniers, spares, stoves, cooking gear, tents, sleeping bags, mats, communications, maps, etc etc etc.

I'd ultimately like to do a big tour such as the Mawson Trail, which I'll probably have to tackle in sections as I can't afford to take 2-3 weeks off work to do it in one hit. Also the logistics of getting there and back are going to be tricky.It'll be a while before I'm fit enough to comfortably ride 50-100km a day, so I have some time to plan properly.

So yeh, thanks for the new obsession...this should be fun.
khendar

by BNA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 am

BNA

Re: Thanks guys...

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 am

Great to see someone else getting 'out there' and exploring our great land :wink:

khendar wrote:I'd ultimately like to do a big tour such as the Mawson Trail, which I'll probably have to tackle in sections as I can't afford to take 2-3 weeks off work to do it in one hit. Also the logistics of getting there and back are going to be tricky.It'll be a while before I'm fit enough to comfortably ride 50-100km a day, so I have some time to plan properly.

A possible future goal to aim for ?? It is an easy option.

BikeSA Outback Odyssey
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:58 am

Welcome to touring.

I assume you've become familiar with CGOAB for inspiration too? I found it invaluable when I first got into touring, and I still get inspired by it almost daily.
WestcoastPete

Postby khendar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 am

il padrone wrote:A possible future goal to aim for ?? It is an easy option.

BikeSA Outback Odyssey

Website is a bit light on information...Is that a supported ride ? That might cut back on the gear I'd need to purchase. Plus safety in numbers etc.

WestcoastPete wrote:Welcome to touring.

I assume you've become familiar with [url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/]CGOAB[/url">http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/]CGOAB[/url</a>] for inspiration too? I found it invaluable when I [url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Hokkaido2009]first">http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Hokkaido2009]first</a> got into touring[/url], and I still get inspired by it almost daily.

I've browsed a few links from these forums on CGOAB. I'll definitely be checking out more for ideas, inspiration etc.
khendar

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:31 am

khendar wrote:
il padrone wrote:A possible future goal to aim for ?? It is an easy option.

BikeSA Outback Odyssey

Website is a bit light on information...Is that a supported ride ? That might cut back on the gear I'd need to purchase. Plus safety in numbers etc.

Yes, I believe it is a supported event. More information in this guy's report on the 2009 event.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Meditator » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 pm

There's nothing wrong with a weekend tour to start off with. You don't need the perfect gear for such a short trip. You don't even need the perfect gear for a trip a bit longer. And you dno't need to be fit. Most tourers get fit on the road. A tour for 2-3 weeks is a short tour.

But of course do it your way and enjoy yourself. There's really nothing to fear. Cycle touring is a breeze and except for road accidents very safe.

if you go at the right time of the year, ie when the weather is ideal you can expect to meet others on the trail most likely so should you get into a real pickle someone will probably find you. But believe me chances of getting into a real pickle are very very slim.

For a stove, just get yourself one of those $40 gas tops and a bottle of gas. One good sized billy and you are set with the cooking gear. There's no need to go buying expensive stoves until you think about heading off on overseas trips where fuels become a problem.

A tent - my tent is 4kg. ITs not as light as i'd like it to be but i like it.

If there is a chance of some cold nights have at least one wool thermal base layer, a beanie, socks for bed and cotton knit or poly longjohns. Then you can get away with a small summer type sleeping bag. You will want to wear these clothes outside your bag so you will need them anyway i guess. or at least shorts for bed if not long johns.

A good ortlieb 4litre water bag is a very handy thing to have in australian conditions. Mind you , i wish it had a tap on it instead of a screw cap.

And i am never going on a cycling journey again without my "kitchen sink". Whenever i leave it out thinking i don't need it i kick myself. If you have one of these you can have a wash every night every easily in hardly any water. Its good for carting wet things and water from the creek to you camp as well.

you don't need much in the way of spares and tools if your bike has been serviced and is in reasonable nick.

just a reminder in case you don't think of it before - this is my big gripe and mission - don't leave toilet paper in the bush, not anywhere, not under a rock or in a hole. burn it or don't use it or carry it away with you. Seeing toilet paper ruins it for others and it hangs about in the envinronment for too long. Locally, the council has just blocked off access to a beach because of this problem that campers do.
Meditator

Postby khendar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:44 pm

It was kind of my plan to start with a couple of weekend tours around the Adelaide Hills. Maybe ride from one town to another, stay the night in a caravan park or camp site then ride to another town and get picked up or back to where I started and drive home.

The only tent I currently have is a 3 person dome tent which is too bulky to carry on a bike, so that would be something I'd need to invest in. Same with my sleeping bag; I have an older winter one which is about 30x40cm packed and pretty hefty. So even for a weekend tour I'd still need to get some gear.

By "Kitchen Sink" I presume you're referring to some kind of folding bucket ?

Do people generally wear cycling knicks while out touring ? If so then how do you keep them fresh and funk-free over long tours ?
khendar

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 pm

khendar wrote:It was kind of my plan to start with a couple of weekend tours around the Adelaide Hills. Maybe ride from one town to another, stay the night in a caravan park or camp site then ride to another town and get picked up or back to where I started and drive home.

The only tent I currently have is a 3 person dome tent which is too bulky to carry on a bike, so that would be something I'd need to invest in. Same with my sleeping bag; I have an older winter one which is about 30x40cm packed and pretty hefty. So even for a weekend tour I'd still need to get some gear.

Your tent is fine I carry and use a 3 man tent only because I'm not a weight weenie and like the extra room a larger tent provides. Also my winter sleeping bag is about the same size in not bigger than yours so don't panic it will be fine on a bike. In my opinion if those two items are still serving you well stick with them and purchase things you really need rather than worry about reducing weight and bulk.

By "Kitchen Sink" I presume you're referring to some kind of folding bucket ?

Do people generally wear cycling knicks while out touring ? If so then how do you keep them fresh and funk-free over long tours ?

I wear compression tights under shorts and when I shower I just leave them on but I carry 4 pairs to see me through between the days I don't shower using a fresh set each day or every couple of days but most of them dry before nightfall once out of the shower. Good thing is to invest in quick drying clothing that has wicking ability as this helps with longs days without wash staying far fresher with folks able to stay around you without turning up there nose.

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:44 pm

You'd probably get by for an introductory tour with the heavier gear, especially if you rope in a mate or two to share the load of the tent :P

If you like it, spend up for your second tour (when your mates have lost interest).

khendar wrote:By "Kitchen Sink" I presume you're referring to some kind of folding bucket ?

That's the Sea to Summit 'Kitchen Sink' a 4L folding tub. They also have the 'Basin' that is 20L

Kitchen Sink

However the Ortlieb 10L bucket is better IMHO - it sits up better when part full.

You don't need any of these to begin with however. I was cycle touring for over 25 years before I got any of these to use on tour, or even knew they were on the market.

khendar wrote:Do people generally wear cycling knicks while out touring ? If so then how do you keep them fresh and funk-free over long tours ?

Yes. When they stand up by themselves you know it's time :mrgreen:

Seriously, I have gone several days in the bush without washing them out, maybe 3-4 at a time. I usually cary a second pair and wear them for 2 days before washing. I often also take some baggy shorts on summer tours and this adds to the time between washing. When you get really remote, with water scarce, you just have to make do. In the mountains of Victoria, there are usually plenty of streams to take water from for washing. One thing the Ortlieb bucket is good for.

Bicycle-powered laundry drying in Tassie

You were saying something about your tent and gear being too bulky?? I don't ever bother with weighing my load :|
il padrone

Postby Meditator » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Guys can carry a lot more crap on their bikes than women can afford to. On my last tour i met a couple of guys carrying quite large loads though maybe not as much al padrone.

One had a guitar, the other had a djembe. Full sized sleeping bags. One was wearing bare feet but with crocs somewhere around on his pack.

I mean you really do not have to have all the right gear nad in fact its probably not a bad thing to go off with whatever in the beginning because its good to buy stuffing, really knowing that you can use it or what you really want.

Often newbies heading off around the world seem to buy too much stuff and think they must have the most expensive item in the shop. Its just not the case. There is a point though when light and more expensive is worth it but its not necessary for every item.

AS for knicks, i wash mine out ever day. the only times i might miss is if there is no creek or running water around but that's not so common really on most routes. I always only have one pair of knicks on a trip. When the weather is really hot, i prefer just to ride in my undies and tie my knicks to my seat. Mens' boxer shorts of the kind without seams should be good. If the climate was such that they might not dry overnight, i'd probably take an extra pair or at least have something else to wear.

My kitchen sink is the blue one. Its so tiny. Smaller than my female fist.

My summer sleeping bag is a roman palm IV i think its called. Cost about $80 and weighs about 400g. Its not bad though at 1C i was chilly. I did however work out how to stay warm by making myself a hotwater bottle of my drinkbottle. The bag also very small but when i got to france in May next year i am taking my big down thingy which will probably be as big as yours. Its a 3 season bag. Its no fun being cold.

On my first week long trip, i didn't even have panniers or even knicks. I just tied stuff to the sides and back. We didn't take a tent.
Meditator

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Meditator wrote:a couple of guys carrying quite large loads though maybe not as much al padrone.

Looks a lot bigger from that angle than it really was. Got it up Poatina and the other steep climbs in Tassie fine.

Meditator wrote:.... I always only have one pair of knicks on a trip. When the weather is really hot, i prefer just to ride in my undies and tie my knicks to my seat.....

....such that they might not dry overnight, i'd probably take an extra pair or at least have something else to wear....

....On my first week long trip, i didn't even have panniers or even knicks. I just tied stuff to the sides and back. We didn't take a tent.

Crikey, you're one hard lady there, Meditator

:shock: :shock: :lol:
il padrone

Return to Touring Australia