Travel insurance for more than 6 months in Australia?

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Postby polishbiker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Hello all touring people! :)

Trying to get a quote for 6months+ but not available, most of the insurance companies only give 3 months, one does 6 months but thats about it.

Any input?
polishbiker

by BNA » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:13 am

BNA

Postby Max » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:13 am

Do you have the option of buying two consecutive policies, the second one taking effect the day the first one expires?

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Re: Travel insurance for more than 6 months in Australia?

Postby Meditator » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:06 pm

polishbiker wrote:Hello all touring people! :)

Trying to get a quote for 6months+ but not available, most of the insurance companies only give 3 months, one does 6 months but thats about it.

Any input?

First of all can you explain something. Are you actually in poland and planning a tour to australia from poland? If so, then you are asking the wrong people about this as pretty well all the people here are aussies and we don't need to buy travel insurance at all.

Given you are polish, you buy your insurance from poland so really only a pole would be able to answer your question i would have thought. It sounds odd that you can't buy insurance for a longer period than three months. It might have something to do with the lenght of the visa you can get.

I suggest you try asking this question on the thorntree.lonelyplanet.com forum. Ask on both the oz branch and the onyourbike branch. Oz branch is full of aussies but gets lots of foreign visitors so they might know.

Or are you asking us about this because you are in Australia already. anyway we need more context to determine how we can help you better.
Meditator

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:09 am

Meditator wrote:
polishbiker wrote:Hello all touring people! :)

Any input?

First of all can you explain something. Are you actually in poland and planning a tour to australia from poland? If so, then you are asking the wrong people about this as pretty well all the people here are aussies and we don't need to buy travel insurance at all.

No he is polish but lives in Perth.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby polishbiker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Yes, polish but lived in Perth for last 11 years, citizen.

I thought it would be a good practice to have travel insurance while away for a longer period of time and especially on a bicycle.

Having 2 seperate policies could work, going to make some phone calls on Monday.

Mediator - sent you a PM.
polishbiker

Postby Meditator » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:41 pm

You shouldn't need it whilst travelling in Australia. If you get hit by a car, the driver will have insurance that would cover your bike and any major health costs. You are already covered for health with medicare. What else do you want to be covered for? Theft? Just be careful with your gear.

The most risky places will be in cities. That's where the pro bike thieves hang out but of course you could get unlucky. Just try to live with a bit of caution and common sense re your gear as if you were travelling overseas.
Meditator

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 pm

polishbiker wrote:I thought it would be a good practice to have travel insurance while away for a longer period of time and especially on a bicycle.

Do you have private health insurance? That should cover ambulance/Flying Doctor services.

I can see an advantage with travel insurance if you have to get back home due to an emergency but would they cover this? What other coverage are you looking for?

You can get bicycle insurance as part of your home and contents insurance if you want coverage for theft or damage to someone elses vehicle.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Return to Touring Australia