Ortlieb Panniers availability

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Re: Ortlieb Panniers availability

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 pm

il padrone wrote:Andrew, have you got the 10mm hook inserts in those top mounting hooks?

Pretty sure I did put them in. It is a firm fit so I would say yes.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 pm

BNA

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 pm

il padrone wrote:Then when I placed the hook opening forwards as Andrew has shown in his picture, the bags stayed securely in place.

I placed the hook based on Pete's advice in an earlier post. Seems to work well so far.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby RonK » Tue May 22, 2012 10:20 pm

I don't see why anyone would bother with the Tubus Tara or even the Duo racks for that matter?

The Ergo rack and its stainless steel counterpart the Nova are far more secure. The lower hooks fit right down in the V of the tubes and prevent the panniers from moving fore or aft, and bumps won't dislodge them. The tubes are all 10mm diameter so the lower hooks do not have to be stretched or replaced to fit over them.
Last edited by RonK on Tue May 22, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby il padrone » Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Personally I like the Duo racks because they are brilliantly minimalist and less obtrusive. Still rock solid pannier support. Gladly the Thorn Nomad has double-sided fork mounts to fit them neatly.

This is the Duo on my tandem

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby J Quinton » Thu May 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Got a compact 2.7L Ortlieb handlebar bag in the mail today from Evans. Was about $50.

Had to loosen the bar tape and give the brake cables some room to make the mount fit. Pretty solid. I guess it needs to swivel up and down a bit to allow for bumps.

Didn't really need it to be honest but just wanted a little more weight up the front, for overall balance. Is big enough. Plan to keep heavier items like tools, batteries in it.

The large ones must be ENORMOUS.

How are you supposed to mount a map case to them? Velcro?

Was tempted by the carradice zipped roll but I think I prefer the offset mount so you can still ride on the top of the bars. Also the latter is less available online.
J Quinton

Postby il padrone » Thu May 24, 2012 7:41 pm

J Quinton wrote:Got a compact 2.7L Ortlieb handlebar bag in the mail today....

.....just wanted a little more weight up the front, for overall balance. Is big enough. Plan to keep heavier items like tools, batteries in it.

That Orltieb Compact is a tiny handlebar bag - room for not much more than a camera, spare tube and some cycle mitts. Despite this, be wary of cramming too much weight into it. A heavy handlbar bag (less likely with just 2.7L) can be very destabilising to your steering.

J Quinton wrote:The large ones must be ENORMOUS.

How are you supposed to mount a map case to them? Velcro?

I have the Ortlieb Ultimate Classic and it is far from enormous, actually a typical size like all my previous handlebar bags (8L - some are 9L). It is big enough to carry the camera, some snack foods, maybe a compact rain jacket, wallet, maps etc. The Ortlieb map-case fastens onto the 7L and 8L bags with press-studs. Not possible with the compact version.

ImageImage
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Previous

Return to Touring Australia