Looking for someone to ride Sydney to Perth be on TV too

pollardsam

Looking for someone to ride Sydney to Perth be on TV too

Postby pollardsam » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:42 pm

I've just found this website, wish I'd come across it before, loads of great information! I'm cycling across Australia in November from Sydney to Busselton (near Perth) as a music tour, with gigs most nights. We are filming the whole thing for a TV documentary which should be going out on ABC TV in Australia and loads of lifestyle channels world wide

Anyway, I'm also looking for someone else to come along. I'm not allowed to put links on here so I've pasted the info below. Please message me if you are interested, or if you know someone else who might be.

-----

Planet Blue Pictures are looking for an experienced cyclist to join Sam Pollard and the crew riding across Australia for the World of Difference tour and TV documentary. The tour is already sponsored by Giant, Britz campervans and partnered with the Reclink charity.

More information about the ride and TV show can be found at wodaus dot com.

Responsibilities and preferable requirements
  • Leave Melbourne on Thursday 8th November 2012 in Campervan. Arrive back in Melbourne on Thursday 13th December 2012. Option to fly back from Perth on Monday 3rd December at own expense.
  • Ride approximately 4,500km from Sydney to Busselton, WA, averaging approximately 200km a day.
  • Ride the majority of the tour at the front as the main camera bike (front and rear cameras will be fitted to the bike).
  • Good on camera personality and provide on camera interviews and daily action throughout the tour.
  • Recent race or tour experience, with examples of time trial or ironman races averaging above 30kph if possible.
  • Help gain corporate cash sponsors and any other relevant sponsors if possible.
Remuneration
There will be no cash payments for the cyclist, however there will be the following benefits:
  • 10% of any cash sponsorship or other funding to help fund the trip that you help to obtain, paid within 5 days of receipt of funds.
  • 10% of value of essential food or nutrition that is given by sponsors that you help to obtain, paid within 5 days of receiving product.
  • All travel and accommodation outside of Melbourne during the tour, which will all be in a campervan.
  • 3 meals a day during the tour and sports nutrition while riding.
  • Free riding gear and other free stuff to keep.
  • Screen time on a Documentary to be shown on SBS/ABC TV in Australia and many lifestyle channels worldwide.
  • A life changing experience!
If you are a well known Professional bike rider, we may be able to find some cash for a small payment.

rifraf

Re: Looking for someone to ride Sydney to Perth be on TV too

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:43 pm

200km a day :?:
Holy mother of god! :shock:
Sounds more like torture than tour.
I take my helmet off to anyone up to that kind of effort.
Last edited by rifraf on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:07 am

Chrsi Jongewaard might be free, seeing he didn't make the Olympics ;)

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:21 pm

HaHa

This surely is a joke.

November:getting up to mid30s across to middle. Strong headwinds everyday going east west. The muso will not make it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 pm

I thought that as well. But then on checking the BOM wind roses, not quite so bad. They will have headwinds through western Victoria (and probably into SE of SA in my experience), but out on the Nullarbor, Eucla and Cook tend to have more southerlies, SE and even easterlies in November, rather than westerlies. So it may not be so bad for the western two-thirds of their journey.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Sweet 200km a day, piece of cake.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:05 am

Well, yes. All depends on fitness and the sort of bike. It seems they are riding road bikes with a support team in a campervan. On flat roads 200kms is quite achievable. Friends of mine (years ago when we were all much fitter?) rode the Nullarbor and managed 200+km days with loaded touring bikes.... in tailwind conditions. To do it every day however is quite a challenging task.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

pollardsam

Postby pollardsam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 am

Yes, we will be on road bikes, we've checked the weather stuff too, and it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Planning on riding behind the camper if there are huge headwinds on the way. The whole point is that it will be hard, that's what makes it interesting for me.

Fitness is ok, just did Melbourne Ironman and doing a bit of training! :wink:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:32 am

Dave Alley managed to average 377k a day when he broke the record for round aus.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:49 pm

Sounds like my idea of fun but not in November, will still be on my way down to Perth.

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:27 am

J Quinton wrote:
November: getting up to mid30s across to middle.
Many people seem to have the wrong idea about temperatures on the Nullabor. It's often much more temperate than you imagine due to the proximity of the Southern Ocean. Even in summer.

You might get the occasional 35º day max in November but much of the time it is in the mid 20s, perfect biking temperature.

In any case 35º for a few hours ain't too much to worry about on a bike, you get a breeze, as long as you have decent headgear.