Flying from Perth to Melbourne

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Flying from Perth to Melbourne

Postby sagara0510 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi All

I was wondering if i could get some advice..

I need to pack my bag up and fly with it to Melbourne from Perth in 4 weeks time for a cycling event so i'm trying to organise car hire for when i arrive in Melb. Something that will fit my bike + 2 suitcases + 3 passengers.

I was looking at a Holden Sportwagon or similar (stationwagon)

my bag is a DHB bag like this one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-elsted-wheeled-bike-bag/ with the dimensions of 134x90x21cm.

Does anyone know whether that will fit into the back of a stationwagon without folding down the rear seats? or will i need to look at hiring a bigger vehicle?

Thanks!
sagara0510

by BNA » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 pm

BNA

Re: Flying from Perth to Melbourne

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 pm

I've got one of those bags too and they take up about the same space as a bike box when they have the bike inside. The only place they fit with the bike inside is across the back seat with no passenger space. If you took the bike out, scrunch the bag up, and put the bike wheels and frame and luggage in the back you will probably fit it all in with the 3 of you - the stiffener across the bottom of the bag will protrude into the space occupied by one potential rear seated passenger's head. I use a Ground Effect Body Bag these days as it is quicker to fit into taxis whether sedan or wagon, albeit with less protection. The only damage (from 30+ bike sectors on Qantas with a bike in the last couple of years) has been a Surly stainless steel chainring bent on one of my touring bikes a few weeks ago.
2014 goal 52000m
wqlava1

Re: Flying from Perth to Melbourne

Postby sagara0510 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:18 pm

hey thanks for the reply and the info.

i plan to use foam pipe insulation and bubble wrap the baby up.

it never occurred to me to take the bike out and compress the bag to get it all into the car. I guess a station wagon should be more than enough then.

thanks for the tip!
sagara0510

Return to Touring Australia