book recommendations

Leaf T

book recommendations

Postby Leaf T » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:55 pm

Hi all,

I've been eavesdropping for over a week now and was hoping to get some feedback from the forum.
I'm based in Melbourne's north and commute a really short distance to Nth Melb but love the idea of some long rides for w/ends and holidays.
I would love to hear any recommendations for books on cycling/touring in Australia but particularly around Melbourne and Victoria. Is there some kind of "bible" for touring/cycling?

Cheers and thanks, Andy

Crank

Postby Crank » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:10 pm

There are a few books on touring ones that i can think of is "Cycling Outback Australia" and "Bicycle Touring Throughout the Sunny Continent" i think the last one does Perth to Melbourne and Sydney. A complete bible well you could have a look at this one "Around Australia by Bicycle - The Complete Guide" but i think there would be a lot more.

Welcome to the forums ... :D :D

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:49 pm

BV and a few others also would have some guides. Actually, that just reminded me, there's apparently one coming out soon, in June, according to that BV update email I just got. Have a squiz at http://www.bv.com.au/join-in/30426/ for more info.

Also, there's a number of handbook-sized publications about rail trails around Melbs/Vic, and day rides around Melbourne. I had one of them somewhere, if I can find it cleaning my room today, I'll let you know the exact title! Just check out your LBS if they have a bookshelf, or even Rebel Sports cycling section sometimes have one or two. Don't know about whether they're any good, just that they're out there.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:10 pm

G'day Andy,

Welcome to the forum (as an active member ;) ).

A really good place to start is the Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club. They ride most weekends and have a lot of fun doing it (it used to be said they were bakery connoisseurs with a riding problem - I don't know if that's still the case though ....). They have a web site, so do a Google search for them and tag along on a few of their rides.

(Edit: here's their site.)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

stevage

Postby stevage » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 am

There's "Bike Tours Around Victoria" and "Bike Tours Around Melbourne". I bought the former at Dymocks. It's pretty good, most of the tours are on the easy side, around 50ks per day. Quite a few options for linking different tours together.

Steve

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:11 am

Yes, Julia Blunden's book 'Bike Tours Around Victoria' is an excellent starter for you. Rides are generally not too ambitious, good for a beginner to touring.

Also you are welcome to come along to MBTC club meetings - evry Thursday at 8.00pm in Trades Hall, Cnr of Lygon and Victoria Streets. Follow the club logo signs to our room out the back.

MBTC = More Bakeries Than Cycling :lol:
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 am

il padrone wrote:MBTC = More Bakeris Than Touring :lol:
Wow, Touring is spelt with a C? Tool. I mean, Cool.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:49 am

Ooof! :oops:

More Bakeries Than Cycling

:lol:

Leaf T

Thanks

Postby Leaf T » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:44 am

Hi, Thanks for the great response. I will look into the Julia Blunden books for sure. I will also try to get to a MTBC meeting soon too although I'll have to get upto speed before joining a ride. I rode to Frankston from Fitzroy Nth recently. It took me 2 and a half hours with two 10 minute stops and I was trashed at the end of it. Love the feeling afterwards though.

Stay upright. Andrew

il padrone

Re: Thanks

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:56 am

Andy wrote:I will also try to get to a MTBC meeting soon too although I'll have to get upto speed before joining a ride. I rode to Frankston from Fitzroy Nth recently. It took me 2 and a half hours with two 10 minute stops and I was trashed at the end of it.
Ah.... There is a huge amount of experience, and some very fit riders in MBTC, but don't over-rate our rides. We have plenty of shorter, cruisy rides too.

Tomorrow there is a 'ride' to the Royal Botanic Gardens in Cranbourne - their Australian gardens. Take the train to Cranbourne, ride 2 kms, guided walking tour of the gardens, lunch in cafe, ride 2 kms back to Cranbourne station!!!!

Just come along on ride that suits your distance.

il padrone

Re: book recommendations

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:03 am

Andy wrote:Is there some kind of "bible" for touring/cycling?
The real bible for cycling generally is Richard's Bicycle Book. Mainly focused on maintenance, but was inspirational for me when I began touring & commuting way back in the 70s. Lots of stuff out of date (indexed gears, 9 speed, V-brakes, carbon fibre, MTBs all did not exist!) but the basics are still the same. An oldy but a goody.