Clothing

Leaf T

Clothing

Postby Leaf T » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi again,
I just bought the julia blunden books and they are giving me itchy feet. Unfortunately I probably can't get out for a ride this w/end.

Anyway I was hoping to pick your brains again this time in regards to clothing for cycling. For starters I was hoping for suggestions for comfy tops. I like loose cotton shirts but once wet they stay that way for a while. Are there any tops for body concious blokes that wont make me look like an over fed budgie? I'm thinking synthetic collared shirts might be the go if they dry quickly but I like things that let your skin breath a little.
Also was wondering about shoes and pedals so any advice here too would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Andrew

exadios

Re: Clothing

Postby exadios » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:08 pm

Andy wrote:Hi again,
I just bought the julia blunden books and they are giving me itchy feet. Unfortunately I probably can't get out for a ride this w/end.

Anyway I was hoping to pick your brains again this time in regards to clothing for cycling. For starters I was hoping for suggestions for comfy tops. I like loose cotton shirts but once wet they stay that way for a while. Are there any tops for body concious blokes that wont make me look like an over fed budgie? I'm thinking synthetic collared shirts might be the go if they dry quickly but I like things that let your skin breath a little.
Also was wondering about shoes and pedals so any advice here too would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Andrew
In the touring context I find that orange long sleeve overalls are the best of cycling clothes. May not suit you though.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:04 am

exadios wrote: In the touring context I find that orange long sleeve overalls are the best of cycling clothes. May not suit you though.
I think Peter you should mention you ride a trike :-)

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:24 am

G'Day Andy. Look in BigW and such for "sporting" type shirts, soccer is often mentioned.

If you want long pants and don't like lycra, search http://www.groundeffect.co.nz for Ranchsliders.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:16 am

The 'downhill demons' aren't into tight-fitting clothing, but still like their 'tech fabric', so check out mtb clothing.
Time for my usual shameless plug - Uno make both shirts and pants that might suit your needs.
The Ground Effects stuff is excellent too.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

exadios

Postby exadios » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:15 am

Aushiker wrote:
exadios wrote: In the touring context I find that orange long sleeve overalls are the best of cycling clothes. May not suit you though.
I think Peter you should mention you ride a trike :-)

Andrew
That's true. But I have ridden by standard bike in overalls and they are still just as comfortable. However, I've never been touring on a standard bike.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:14 am

exadios wrote:That's true. But I have ridden by standard bike in overalls and they are still just as comfortable. However, I've never been touring on a standard bike.
Wet weather? Cotton overalls = wet & cold

Hot weather? Cotton overalls = hot & clammy

As a general rule I don't like cotton too much, except a t-shirt in very hot weather, when I will throw water over it.

Groud Effect is good!

Leaf T

clothes

Postby Leaf T » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:52 am

Thanks for all this.

I,m leaning towards trying some sort of hiking shirt with collar and buttons. They claim to have "wikking technology" but the fabric is simply polyester. Anyway they are reasonably cheap at the nearby kathmandu seconds store so it's worth a try. Ground effect looks good too so if anyone knows where in Melbourne I can check it out then let me know please. Still considering buying shoes and spd pedals so any feedback on this will certainly be appreciated. I am happy wearing sneakers but perhaps for longer rides shoes are better? I'll see what Sheldon Brown has to say on the subject in the meantime.

Cheers Andrew

il padrone

Re: clothes

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Andy wrote:I,m leaning towards trying some sort of hiking shirt with collar and buttons. They claim to have "wikking technology" but the fabric is simply polyester. Anyway they are reasonably cheap at the nearby kathmandu seconds store so it's worth a try.
I have a great summer shirt just like this that I got from Katmandu. Excellent wicking, cool, comfortable and non-cycling style dress for touring/travel. Goes well with my Ground Effect Juggernauts.

Just remember to only buy from Katmandu during their regular sales. Prices are too high at non-sale times.
Andy wrote:Ground effect looks good too so if anyone knows where in Melbourne I can check it out then let me know please.
Ground Effect are a mail order and on-line store only. Good details on their web site. Generally their sizes are roomy.
Andy wrote:Still considering buying shoes and spd pedals so any feedback on this will certainly be appreciated. I am happy wearing sneakers but perhaps for longer rides shoes are better?
Proper cycling shoes have a more rigid sole, less loss of energy in your pedalling action. Clipless pedals (SPD) with shoes that have cleats to positively connect you to your pedals are safer, and worth about 10-20% more in efficiency. I use them all the time, and most touring cylists I know use them - one or two still cling to the old toeclips and straps, but still use specific cycling shoes.

Running shoes feel like pedalling through mush in comparison.

exadios

Postby exadios » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:41 pm

il padrone wrote:
exadios wrote:That's true. But I have ridden by standard bike in overalls and they are still just as comfortable. However, I've never been touring on a standard bike.
Wet weather? Cotton overalls = wet & cold

Hot weather? Cotton overalls = hot & clammy
That is not my experience. In cold weather you can wear other clothes underneath.

But it in hot weather that their value is most evident. In order to keep cool under the heat it is necessary to keep the sun away from the skin. Overalls are airy and cool.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:00 pm

exadios wrote:But it in hot weather that their value is most evident. In order to keep cool under the heat it is necessary to keep the sun away from the skin. Overalls are airy and cool.
Not my experience. Best cooling method is water, on the brow and a wet top. Completely covered clothing is an oven! But I don't ride a recumbent.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Don't know much about overalls. Personally, I find standard cotton get's nice and wet on longer rides, though for short rides it's bearable.

If in a touring context, I suppose you're weighing up comfort against practicality. Synthetics that wick away moisture are most comfortable, but will need frequent airing/washing, else they tend to let you know about it. Cotton is easy and practical for off the bike wear, though as mentioned by OP, will get wet and sticky.

Personally, I stick with jerseys, and to heck with anyone who criticises me. You can also get loose cut cycling tops that are of the same material, that won''t be a hug fit. Plus they have pockets to access while riding. And in colder weather, a baselayer underneath, merino is my preference, though other materials also work.

For bottoms, knicks for the comfort factor, and under light shorts if needed for propriety's sake e.g., if I were stopping at the shops often (you tend to get more weird/abusive looks/comments with thigh hugging lycra than with just a jersey.) Shy Shorts or other cycling pants would be an option if I had any.