Surly Ogre as a tourer

rifraf

Re: Surly Ogre as a tourer

Postby rifraf » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:18 pm

jaffaman wrote:Shame to hear the Dureme does look to be end of life - currently running them on my 26". Looks like the Marathon Deluxe is the replacement, although it is a little heavier. I think I'll try big apples if the duremes ever wear out.
Hi Jaffaman,
I think its just the two inch version in 700c size as its no longer mentioned on the Schwalbe site.
There may be others but that was the one I was looking for as their spec list is a little easier for me to understand
than some of the other sites which use "bar" instead of PSI.
Being brought up with PSI, its hard to change the habit of a lifetime.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Eyremowing
great pics and great Ogre.
Looks like you've made some great choices with your build.
Keep us all up to date with your experiences with the SP dynamo hub as being the new kid on the block its
the one everyone will be watching.
The price is certainly right.
I'm just rushing out the door but will come back for another squiz this afternoon.
Your bike looks really impressive.
What stand did you manage to fit to it?

Cheers
Rifraf

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi Aidan thanks for write up and links I think I will continue to use BA's seems like the new profile hasn't effected the tyre. I have found them good on all surfaces but they really come into play in the sand being a large tyre you can deflate them and keep rolling giving a bigger footprint on the deck. I don't think my rim issue was tyre pressure related as I only ran mine at 50psi on the bitumen and I only run them at 50 now because when I had them at 40psi I found faster wear. For me 50 gives me good rolling while still maintaining there shock absorbing ability. My new rims are allot thicker material than my velocity with a far stronger profile so lets hope these work out ok.

Cheers mate

eyremowing

Postby eyremowing » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi rifraf,
Thanks for the comments, The stand is a Proseries,Image This photo is of the new model.
Unfortunately they don't make the one I have anymore. The new model isn't height adjustable and the mounting surface isn't as wide and therefor won't fit my bike now. I tried to bend the feet in a bit on mine the other day and managed to crack the alloy, not the cleverest thing I've done,I have just ordered a new Herbie stand from xxcycles.

The SP PD8 dynamo is meant to have class leading figures, producing its power at lower wheel revolutions. I am very happy so far although it's still early, I can't notice any drag while it's powering my lights and charging my battery.

rifraf wrote:Hi Eyremowing
great pics and great Ogre.
Looks like you've made some great choices with your build.
Keep us all up to date with your experiences with the SP dynamo hub as being the new kid on the block its
the one everyone will be watching.
The price is certainly right.
I'm just rushing out the door but will come back for another squiz this afternoon.
Your bike looks really impressive.
What stand did you manage to fit to it?

Cheers
Rifraf

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Went out for a short ride today after adjusting brakes much better than before.
Bloomin new Serfas tail light gave up the ghost.
Cars tootin alerted me to the fact something was up.
Checked my tail light and nothing. I tried pressing the button but theres no click to it now.
Headed home on the footpath only for the bike to develop a click which I can feel through the left pedal.
Too dark to look into it tonight so will try to make time tomorrow afternoon if I get back from town in time.
It was a nice ride with views of the water and marina in Two Rocks which is nice in the changing light of evening.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:43 am

rifraf wrote:Went out for a short ride today after adjusting brakes much better than before.
Time for dynamo lights :mrgreen:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:43 am

Baalzamon wrote:
rifraf wrote:Went out for a short ride today after adjusting brakes much better than before.
Time for dynamo lights :mrgreen:
I'm not sold on dynamo tail lights and am happiest with a blinky with spare rechargeables in my Brooks saddle bag.
Until I have my fenders and mini front rack on, I wont be removing my Edelux from the Moulton. I want all the Ogres foibles ironed out before I start disassembling the other bike for a refurb.
Being so far from town it can mean days if not a week before sourcing a part and until the Ogres spent some more time on the road I'm regarding it as unproven.
Tonight's pedal clicking antics are a sure sign that its not yet ready to take over from the Moulton.
I'm more than a little miffed with the Serfas tail light as I payed over the odds for it on Ebay, having had such a good run from my other one which has been running faultlessly on the Moulton for over ten years. :roll:

eyremowing

Postby eyremowing » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:12 pm

I have replace the stand on the Surly Ogre with this one from xxcycles. I seems to be really good quality. The feet when folded up are just far enough back and low enough so my heal doesn't touch while riding. They are very stable. I did have to change the top plate to get them to mount on the Surly Ogre due to a lack of clearance. I also fitted a handlebar stabilizer, I got sick of the handle bars swing to the side when on the stand, the bike actually fell over due to this and scratched my new handlebars, So far it is working really well.

http://www.xxcycle.com/marques/hebie/im ... /17001.jpg

http://www.xxcycle.com/marques/hebie/im ... le0690.jpg

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 am

eyremowing wrote:I have replace the stand on the Surly Ogre with this one from xxcycles. I seems to be really good quality. The feet when folded up are just far enough back and low enough so my heal doesn't touch while riding. They are very stable. I did have to change the top plate to get them to mount on the Surly Ogre due to a lack of clearance. I also fitted a handlebar stabilizer, I got sick of the handle bars swing to the side when on the stand, the bike actually fell over due to this and scratched my new handlebars, So far it is working really well.
It's worth reading this spew from Surly about the use of stands.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 pm

DavidL wrote:I have just got myself a Salsa Fargo as a bit of a all round tourer with more of a focus of heading off into the bush around here and the Vic High Country. I believe it is pretty much the same frame as the Ogre as Salsa and Surly both sit under the same parent company:

- David.
Hi David,
one thing I really like about the Fargo is the forks.
I like they way they allow use of pannier rack as well as bottle cages.
With the Ogre forks, it seems you must choose between one or tother but not both at the same time.
The Fargo bottle mounts are higher than the Ogres which is what the issue is.
I was reading in another forum (yes yes - I'll wash my mouth out later) about Ogre owners swapping out their forks for Fargo forks to take advantage of the feature and its been suggested losing some weight into the bargain.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:17 pm

eyremowing wrote:I have replace the stand on the Surly Ogre with this one from xxcycles. I seems to be really good quality. The feet when folded up are just far enough back and low enough so my heal doesn't touch while riding. They are very stable. I did have to change the top plate to get them to mount on the Surly Ogre due to a lack of clearance. I also fitted a handlebar stabilizer, I got sick of the handle bars swing to the side when on the stand, the bike actually fell over due to this and scratched my new handlebars, So far it is working really well.

http://www.xxcycle.com/marques/hebie/im ... /17001.jpg

http://www.xxcycle.com/marques/hebie/im ... le0690.jpg
Hi Eyremowing,
how are you getting on with your new stabiliser and hebie stand?
I'm trying to make up my mind between a traditional stand like your own or to head in the clickstand route.
I'm currently leaning toward the Click-stand http://www.click-stand.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but time will tell.
I'm trialing some Schwalbe Supreme tyres currently.
They are 50-622 or 700c x 2.oo
They are diminutive compared to the Big Apples in 2.35 I've been using.
The ride is sprightly compared to the ponderous Big Apples but I dislike the appearance of the "skinny" supposedly two inch tyre as it looks very close to my Moultons 1.75" tyres.
I need more riding to get an idea of the all important (to me) comfort stakes.
The aesthetics are giving me pause to ordering the Schwalbe Mondials I was serious about.
I'd feel just about as inclined to order some folding 29er mountain bike tyres for off road legs of any touring journeys.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:44 pm

rifraf wrote: There may be others but that was the one I was looking for as their spec list is a little easier for me to understand

OT I know but IMO, PSI is a unit of measurement, 'bar' is what sheep do :) .

I'm enjoying seeing the pics of built up tourers, I have an Australian made steel tourer frame in the shed that I will build up and get out on one day.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

rohden

Postby rohden » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am

rifraf wrote: Hi Eyremowing,
sounds great.
Woah, 20kph is much quicker than I travel - good on you for being so fit.
I'm hoping you can throw up some pics in this thread of your new bike.

I ended up getting an Ogre frame after some time thinking about it after posting this thread.

I'll be stealing my E-werk off my other bike for my Ogre which is now just about finished.
I'm just awaiting on some 60mm wide stainless mudguards from France, another tugnut from Wiggle, a Velo Orange Pass Hunter front rack like:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130765706884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and some more tyres to try like some Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in two inch width.
I've got Big Apples 2.35 on at the mo.
I went with a Brooks Flyer Special as I'd been missing springs since I sold my B73 on my other bike.
I'm running a Son28 disk, E-werk with cache battery and Edelux headlight. The E-werk also charges my Edge 800
and mobile (currently an old LG). The E-werk is one of my favorite investments.

I went with the Rohloff in the end to see what all the fuss was about and completed my second ride yesterday.
Too early yet to have too many impressions but sitting fairly neutral at the moment. I can see pros and cons.

I went with Tubus as well. Cosmo on the rear and Nova on the front. I went with stainless after getting sick of looking at my other bikes racks with scratched paint and rust.

Just got my BBB XL Fueltank bottle cages but doubt there will be room for the lower one with the fenders.

Look forward to seeing your pics :D

Hi Rifraf,

I intend to buy a Surly Ogre to use it as a touring bike, then looking for it in internet about Surly Ogre, Tubus Cosmo and Nova racks I found your post.
Just to be sure, the Tubus Cosmo and Nova racks, despite they are for 26"/28" do they work well on 29"? No problem with the front/rear Ortlieb Roller Classic panniers?

Thanks for your information,
Reginaldo Rohden.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:27 pm

G'day Reginaldo
define problem?
They bolt on with no issue and with the included stainless hardware (bolts, spacers etc.) so you dont need to buy the separate Tubus accessory kit (like I did due to a lack of info).
The loop over the front wheel sits higher than I'd like although I could lower it by utilising the threaded lug behind the quick release.
I've chosen not to do this as it created an angle for the pannier racks top tube which I liked less than the high front loop.
No issue with front panniers.
I'll double check the rears to confirm no heel strike and get back to you - today.

rohden

Postby rohden » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi Rifraf,

Thanks for your information.

Problem, I wanted to say the rack too much next to or touching the tire or the panniers.
Because Tubus has a rack for 29er, the Logo Classic, that also is for 26"/28". But the Cosmo rack is only 26"/28", isn´t it?
Front rack I'm sure there is no Tubus for 29".

Do you kow any bad news about Logo Classic, Ergo or cromo racks?

All the best,
Reginaldo.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi Reginaldo,
apologies about the late reply.
A family matter had needed all my attention.
Sorry for the wait.
The Cosmo rack fits my Ogre fine.
No issues with heel strike nor with tyre size in that neither my Big Apples of 60-622 700c X 2.35
nor my Supremes 50-622 700c X 2.00 have any problems with the rack.
Plenty of room for these sizes.
The Cosmo and Nova are the only Tubus racks I've ever owned.
Let me know if photos would help answer any questions and what if any particular views you'd find helpful.
Cheers
Aidan

rohden

Postby rohden » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 am

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for your reply.
I hope your family matter is ok!

I have read that in Europe 28" is equal to 29". I hope so! Maybe because of this, there's no problem with 28" tires/racks.
I ordered from http://www.bike24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Germany, the Surly Ogre frame, Tubus Cosmo and Nova racks, Schwalbe Marathon Dureme Evolution Touring - 50-622 (28 x 2.00) tires and others things.

I hope soon post pics of my army green Surly Ogre.
Best wishes,
Reginaldo.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:59 am

Hi Reginaldo,
I look forward to seeing your pics soon.

On the off chance you've not come across it, more Ogre owners experience here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/surly-ogre-737340.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/ogre-build ... 56937.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Cass Gilbert is possibly the most well known Ogre bike-packer on the net:
http://www.whileoutriding.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Aidan

rohden

Postby rohden » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:08 am

Hi Aidan,

By the the way I came across MTBR forum and Cass Gilbert (http://www.whileoutriding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). At MTBR I am registerd there, but with no post yet, and few days ago I sent a message to Cass Gilbert and he replied.
As soon my Ogre arrives, I'm going to ride to Argentina, Chile and Bolivia for two months, mainly in dirt roads. Maybe I will meet him on the road.

Just to change websites, have a look at this one: http://www.bicyclingaroundtheworld.nl/g ... phers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes,
Reginaldo.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:36 am

rohden wrote:Hi Aidan,

By the the way I came across MTBR forum and Cass Gilbert (http://www.whileoutriding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). At MTBR I am registerd there, but with no post yet, and few days ago I sent a message to Cass Gilbert and he replied.
As soon my Ogre arrives, I'm going to ride to Argentina, Chile and Bolivia for two months, mainly in dirt roads. Maybe I will meet him on the road.

Just to change websites, have a look at this one: http://www.bicyclingaroundtheworld.nl/g ... phers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes,
Reginaldo.
Good on you Reginaldo - thats some goal.
I'm hoping you can send us here in the forum lots of pics of your adventures.
Thank you for the link.
I can see lots of hours reading and some fine inspiration there

Cheers
Aidan :)

lcfc

Postby lcfc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:07 pm

I might extend the life of this thread as opposed to starting a new one.

Just looked again at the Surly site and see they have the 2014 Ogre up, change of colour - the green has gone.

The biggest differences seem to be the bars and the crankset is now 26/36/48. I know the 48 got some discussion in other forums.

I was having enough dilemmas choosing between Fargo's and Ogres, complete builds or frame and XT build and now I have the 2013 and 2014 changes to ponder. Deciding on a bike shouldn't be this stressful. ;)

Thoughts on the new Ogre? I wonder what the cost will be locally for a complete build? Patience is a virtue I lack.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:53 pm

lcfc wrote:I might extend the life of this thread as opposed to starting a new one.

Just looked again at the Surly site and see they have the 2014 Ogre up, change of colour - the green has gone.

The biggest differences seem to be the bars and the crankset is now 26/36/48. I know the 48 got some discussion in other forums.

I was having enough dilemmas choosing between Fargo's and Ogres, complete builds or frame and XT build and now I have the 2013 and 2014 changes to ponder. Deciding on a bike shouldn't be this stressful. ;)

Thoughts on the new Ogre? I wonder what the cost will be locally for a complete build? Patience is a virtue I lack.
The importers for both Surly and Salsa appear to be:

Dirt Works Australia
02 9679 8400
http://www.dirtworks.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:01 pm

rifraf wrote:
jaffaman wrote:Shame to hear the Dureme does look to be end of life - currently running them on my 26". Looks like the Marathon Deluxe is the replacement, although it is a little heavier. I think I'll try big apples if the duremes ever wear out.
Hi Jaffaman,
I think its just the two inch version in 700c size as its no longer mentioned on the Schwalbe site.
There may be others but that was the one I was looking for as their spec list is a little easier for me to understand
Well the 28 x 2.00 Dureme is once again available from bike24 for anyone looking for them.
I'd suggested it looking like this version might be on the way out in an earlier post.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:19 am

rifraf wrote: The importers for both Surly and Salsa appear to be: Dirt Works Australia http://www.dirtworks.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nope, they lost that arrangement a while ago, might have old stock but not latest models. Surly now lists only AU dealers, Salsa have finally updated their website but again only listed dealers, not the distributor but it isn't DWA.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:07 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:
rifraf wrote: The importers for both Surly and Salsa appear to be: Dirt Works Australia http://www.dirtworks.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nope, they lost that arrangement a while ago, might have old stock but not latest models. Surly now lists only AU dealers, Salsa have finally updated their website but again only listed dealers, not the distributor but it isn't DWA.
Aaaah, thanks for clearing that up Dave.
I hadnt heard (or maybe listened hard enough) that one.
I did find Dirtworks prompt in their email responses and helpful over the phone on inquires with regards sizing and spec.
Cant say I was enamored with buying a bike in store on spec though and wasn't interested in paying a restock fee should the size arriving not be suitable and an exchange needed.
I decided to take the punt on getting a frame from overseas thinking I'd probably recover most of my funds should I need a different size and have to ebay.
As it is, I'm pretty satisfied with the large size frame although if I wanted a purely off road bike, the next size down may have proven to be better.