Surly Ogre as a tourer

il padrone

Re: Surly Ogre as a tourer

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:02 pm

I use the Thorn Flat track 10 deg bar, with the Ergon GC3 grip & bar-ends (in the Rohloff/Nexus design). Very comfortable for me - not sure whether the bar is super strong, but good enough for my touring.

Last edited by il padrone on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Pete, what railtrail is that in your picture?

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:42 pm

That is the Coast to Crater Railtrail between Camperdown and Timboon. A bit rough around the edges, and the trail route from Cobden to Camperdown is rather average - on-road and hilly. We took the main road which was prefectly good to ride. The photo was taken near one of about three trestle bridges that are missing, producing quite steep descents and pushes back to the trail - off the bike stuff.

This was a nice bit, riding from Timboon to the Curdies River

One big plus is it has a whisky distillery in the railway station at Timboon - a nice goal for the day :D
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Well, ended up ordering the Salsa Bend2 in 23deg sweep with Ergon grips(no bar ends) and see how that goes. Might try a bog standard flat bar later on which will probably suit the ergon grips with integral bar ends.
Hope hoops 29er wheelset with Stans Flow EX rims. gives the option of tubeless but I mainly like the rim width ~29mm

Spent waaay too much. The only upgrade I will ever need will be the frame :oops: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:24 pm

ForkinGreat wrote:Well, ended up ordering the Salsa Bend2 in 23deg sweep with Ergon grips(no bar ends) and see how that goes. Might try a bog standard flat bar later on which will probably suit the ergon grips with integral bar ends.
Hope hoops 29er wheelset with Stans Flow EX rims. gives the option of tubeless but I mainly like the rim width ~29mm

Spent waaay too much. The only upgrade I will ever need will be the frame :oops: :lol:
Sounds like you had a very clear idea of the gear you wanted on your bike.
Keep the thread updated with your build and remember to get some pics in here so we can share your vision of the final build.
Those rims sure sound wide at 29mm.
Hope they offer you heaps of good options tire wise.
Let us know how you find them for getting different tires on and off :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Hey Rifraf,

I obsessed about part selection for a fair while, esp the bars.
seemed too much hassle to get hold of the jones loop bars (though I note XACD do a knock-off jones H? bar in Ti , but I also note that some folks have had dodgy experiences with xacd, http://forums.mtbr.com/custom-builders- ... 29757.html so maybe I will perservere with getting a proper jones loop bar in the future ).
The Salsa bars with ergon grips are a compromise between comfort and trail safety. Bar ends can occasionally cause hook-ups on trailside trees and branches :shock: Also, the sweep of the Salsa bars would put the bar ends at a bit of a dodgy angle.
I have everything but the QR skewers :lol: all bits and boxes heaped on loungeroom floor, but next few days will see them looking increasingly like a bicycle :mrgreen:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm

ForkinGreat wrote:Hey Rifraf,

I obsessed about part selection for a fair while, esp the bars.
seemed too much hassle to get hold of the jones loop bars (though I note XACD do a knock-off jones H? bar in Ti , but I also note that some folks have had dodgy experiences with xacd, http://forums.mtbr.com/custom-builders- ... 29757.html so maybe I will perservere with getting a proper jones loop bar in the future ).
The Salsa bars with ergon grips are a compromise between comfort and trail safety. Bar ends can occasionally cause hook-ups on trailside trees and branches :shock: Also, the sweep of the Salsa bars would put the bar ends at a bit of a dodgy angle.
I have everything but the QR skewers :lol: all bits and boxes heaped on loungeroom floor, but next few days will see them looking increasingly like a bicycle :mrgreen:
Ahh, quick note.
Do some research on the skewers.
The Ogres rear dropouts have plenty of forum posts about problems with skewers.
Bottom line is it appears necessary for at least one tugnutt.
This is to combat the axle twisting in the dropouts.
The single tugnutt that most use goes on the drive side.
I went with two tugnutts for aesthetics rather than need.
I think its earlier XT skewers that are recommended.
I'm using some extra long jobs that havnt caused any issues but then my riding so far has been sedate and only on road.
Keep us updated and get your camera out :)

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Sorry for the delay.
Now the bits and pieces are all assembled and it looks like a proper bike :D
The tricky bits were done by the LBS - quality bicycle repairs - in surrey hills VIC
Steerer to be trimmed now height seems ok, and maybe the bars (@710mm - wider than my duellie riser bars), but it rides nicely and the shifting is smooth.
29mm stans flow-ex rims and 700c x 40mm Marathon supremes seem strong and roll well.
BBB skewers are a bit poxy, will source some XTs, I think. better made & with internal cam.
Rear axle all the way forward, could put tugnutts in, I guess..
Pic(s) today some time 8)

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:16 pm

The Ogre... :mrgreen:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 pm

ForkinGreat wrote:Sorry for the delay.
Now the bits and pieces are all assembled and it looks like a proper bike :D
The tricky bits were done by the LBS - quality bicycle repairs - in surrey hills VIC
Steerer to be trimmed now height seems ok, and maybe the bars (@710mm - wider than my duellie riser bars), but it rides nicely and the shifting is smooth.
29mm stans flow-ex rims and 700c x 40mm Marathon supremes seem strong and roll well.
BBB skewers are a bit poxy, will source some XTs, I think. better made & with internal cam.
Rear axle all the way forward, could put tugnutts in, I guess..
Pic(s) today some time 8)
She looks great. :!: 8)
I'd recommend holding off on trimming that steerer. :idea:
A common issue I read about with Surly bikes is people regretting cutting their steerer too short.
They usually blame the shop but..........
I mention this as the bike looks set in a fairly aggressive riding mode with bum up and head down.
Or saddle up and bars down if you prefer.
This is great for rides of hell for leather on a bit of single track or zipping around town but with the emphasis on zipping.
My experience for my riding style is a more upright position makes for longer is the saddle comfort.
You may find different but until you've had a chance to do some four hours in the saddle rides, leave the steerer the heck alone. :idea:
My poor old back couldn't handle an hour of that position, let alone four or more, but I'm an old whinging illegitimate so you do what suits. :wink:

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:55 am

rifraf wrote:
She looks great. :!: 8)
I'd recommend holding off on trimming that steerer. :idea:
A common issue I read about with Surly bikes is people regretting cutting their steerer too short.
They usually blame the shop but..........
I mention this as the bike looks set in a fairly aggressive riding mode with bum up and head down.
Or saddle up and bars down if you prefer.
This is great for rides of hell for leather on a bit of single track or zipping around town but with the emphasis on zipping.
My experience for my riding style is a more upright position makes for longer is the saddle comfort.
You may find different but until you've had a chance to do some four hours in the saddle rides, leave the steerer the heck alone. :idea:
My poor old back couldn't handle an hour of that position, let alone four or more, but I'm an old whinging illegitimate so you do what suits. :wink:
Thanks Rifraf! she's a bit of a steamroller: weighs a ton ,but rolls nice and smooth :)
I was going to leave about 1 spacer worth (20mm?) above the current stem position.
The riding position is similar to my road bike - same saddle height, probably similar reach to the bars. I do get a bit sore in the hands after a while, but that may be due to crappy core muscles. I might try putting the stem one spacer up and see if that makes a difference. No hurry to trim it before I'm sure that it's in the right position. re the saddle height, If I was riding trails, I would be inclined to look at dropper posts, but that saddle height seems to be the most efficient for pedalling.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:41 pm

I set my saddle by placing my heel on it and then trying to pull the saddle up past my tonsils.
Well, until my backside stops it anyway.
I find this give me a slightly bent knee, at full pedal extension when the ball of my foot is on the pedal.
My bars seem to work best for me right up the top of the steerer with one of the very thin spacers between the stem and the steerers cap.
Different strokes for different folks but do experiment to find out what works best for yourself. :)

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:43 pm

just a bit of an update on the Ogre. the Salsa bend2 bars are quite nice, but very wide and cant put bar ends on with 23deg sweep.

looking at Ritchey comp mtn flat bars, 620mm wide and only 5deg sweep. look to be ideal to chuck on some ergon gc3 grips.
http://www.this link is broken/ergon-gc3-handlebar-grips/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod112173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue May 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Some updates to the Ogre.
Those following my contribution to the Extrawheel trailer might have noticed my issue of the Ogres fender stays being too close to the trailers forks (where it attaches to the bikes dropouts:

The following pic shows where in an attempt to alleviate this, I've redrilled the fender to raise its stays upwards:
I cant comment yet if this has had the desired result due to the Extrawheel skewer not surviving its second installation of the wheel.
Not a great design in my book and I'll now be following a different direction in an attempt to attach the trailer.
The Ogres dropouts have 10x1mm holes drilled for trailer nuts which I hope to utilise.
Unfortunately I first need to machine some material off the tugnuts to try this method
(the uppermost "bottle openers" on each side to allow flush mounting of said trailer nuts)

I'm very happy with my addition of Philips Lumiring dynamo tail-light:

I finally got sick of staring at my Velo Orange Pass Hunter rack sitting around my room and bit the bullet and got an engineering firm to transplant the fork crown stay in a workable position (allowing for my suspension corrected forks).
I now wont sweat whilst speeding down hills worrying about my front fender dropping and sending me over the bars due to it now having a secondary attachment point on the new rack.
I got them to weld on an attachment point for my headlight as well.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 21, 2014 12:31 pm

LOL I was struggling to find the bike under all the accessories too, axeman74 :D Nice rig rifraf.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu May 22, 2014 8:51 am

Very busy but looking good rifraf...you could go anywhere on that! :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu May 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Xplora wrote:LOL I was struggling to find the bike under all the accessories too, axeman74 :D Nice rig rifraf.
Wingnut wrote:Very busy but looking good rifraf...you could go anywhere on that! :D
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

I agree she does look a little "busy" but for me, its all functional.

RonK was correct in that there actually little usable space between the new rack and the bottom of my handlebar bag.
Theres between two and a quarter and two and a half inches currently.
I'm currently thinking its a perfect space for my 23,000 mAh battery when touring, as the base fit looks pretty good size wise

For more around home duties, I think it'll be a good place to sit my aliminium camera case where I can keep an eye on it, relieving me of the need to use my panniers when all I want is a quick ride to Yanchep National Park for a coffee and a pic or two of some birdlife.
I'm lucky to have such a great resource in my back yard (well only 5km up the road anyway)

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:07 am

Any chance you could weigh it?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:22 pm

J Quinton wrote:Any chance you could weigh it?
None what so ever.
No current access to scales :(

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm mainly wondering for flying reasons. I mean if you're starting with a base weight of 20kg (not including extras) you're going to be paying for extra baggage, no?

(As a side note, I've heard of people adding extra stuff to their box/bag after you've checked in and they send you to the oversize area.)

Nice bike, by the way.

Do you plan on doing the Munda Biddi soon?

Anything you would do different if you started again?

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:53 pm

That's a neat idea using the mud guard bracket for the tail light.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:11 pm

J Quinton wrote:I'm mainly wondering for flying reasons. I mean if you're starting with a base weight of 20kg (not including extras) you're going to be paying for extra baggage, no?

(As a side note, I've heard of people adding extra stuff to their box/bag after you've checked in and they send you to the oversize area.)

Nice bike, by the way.

Do you plan on doing the Munda Biddi soon?

Anything you would do different if you started again?
Hi J Quinton,
glad you like it.
Rainy season here in Perth and I'm a sunshine fan so no immediate plans for Munda Biddi.
I'm currently in the planning stages of a Northward trip emulating one of Aushikers (Andrews) journeys but with some differences beyond Geraldton in an attempt to escape the late winter rains..
If I was doing it again I'd have gotten brass spoke nipples having recently read that alloy ones have a reputation for being problematic.
Other than that potential issue, I'm pretty happy with everything except maybe two of my rear fender brackets.
At the end of the day, I wanted to build a bike that appealed to my person taste in aesthetic and was relatively low maintenance with the ability to haul some gear, food and water around so I might get to see some of Australia I might otherwise not get to see. I think I've achieved it.
There will always be newer, lighter, faster etc bikes and componentry reaching the market and you have to make up your mind to either bite the bullet, buy and ride or forever wait till the perfect bike is available.
That perfection is in never never land so better to make do and enjoy some journeying before your too old or too committed to other areas of life.

As for flying, I'll never say never, but I've done a swag of overseas travel.
I'm in no rush to go anywhere at this stage so not panicking about luggage weights.
I'd like to maybe go to the UK one last time and ride from Heathrow to Wales, Cornwall and Devon for their short summer season.
I've an Aunt over there in Wales I'd love to see again before she passes on.
Last edited by rifraf on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Andy wrote:That's a neat idea using the mud guard bracket for the tail light.
Plagiarised I must confess.
The German tail-lights are designed with fitment to racks and their measurements in mind I think or perhaps vice versa.
Anyway the rack and fender bracket are Tubus and the Philips tail-light are a good fitment match with the bonus of looking "right".
Glad you like it.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Certainly the gravel road from Gassy Junction to Karijini via Mt Augustus would be fun. Gibb is great. Canning stock route will probably be attempted more and more. Holland track would be good.

I've ridden the route you talk about in England, some mighty steep hills in Cornwall and Devon.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:44 pm

J Quinton wrote:.

I've ridden the route you talk about in England, some mighty steep hills in Cornwall and Devon.
I'll be sure to try to pick your brain when I start planning it :)