Perth - Adelaide - Brisbane - Sidney ?

richmotion

Perth - Adelaide - Brisbane - Sidney ?

Postby richmotion » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:08 am

Hey guys!

I´m Richard, 39 years old, from Austria, Europe, fairly well trained, riding about 6000km per year. In 2011I rode 1.600km through Arizona in 3 weeks, so I am not entirely new to long distance riding.
My original plan was riding Western United States for 3 months. Since my company won´t let me go for holidays from May to July 2013 I somehow thought of Australia - because of the weather.
However I am very new to Australia. So far I know you guys drive on the wrong side of the street. :lol:
Heat does not scare me off, 40 deg. Celsius are pretty rideable for me, as long as it´s dry (I love the desert!) But I have great respect of the distances and the sparse infrastructure in Australia, regarding water, food, cell-phone reception. I would appreciate every single info I can get!

So far I figured one route: Perth - Adelaide - Brisbane - Sidney, which would add up to about 5.500km. Should be rideable in 3 months. I would like to stay on roads, rough roads or little offroad is doable, my rig is a Surly CrossCheck, maybe I switch to Salsa Fargo by next year - but since flights are much more expensive to Australia I will probably stick with my Surly.

So my questions are:
1. How dangerous is riding on Highways? In the US there is always a wide shoulder or even a bikepath, roads are WIDE enough.
2. Regarding weather: January to March 2013? What would I have to expect? How strong are winds, direction? Any Rain? Temps day/night?
3. Infrastructure: What about water and food supply on this route? How long would be distances between supply?
4. Animals: As far as I know the most poisonous animals live on your continent. What would I have to keep in mind?
5. Typical no-go´s or things that are different from the rest of the world, regarding cyclists?

Please forgive my entry-level-questions, but as I said, my plan was US, so all information I collected til today is probably worthless.
Any info is highly appreciated!!

Thanks, Richard

Tandem

Re: Perth - Adelaide - Brisbane - Sidney ?

Postby Tandem » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:08 pm

2. Regarding weather: January to March 2013? What would I have to expect? How strong are winds, direction? Any Rain? Temps day/night?
Heat does not scare me off, 40 deg. Celsius are pretty ride able for me.

If you in the middle of nowhere and no shade around it would scare the sh.t out of me.

There is only one advise I can give you and that is, it will be too hot for cycling in that time of the year.

Head over to New Zealand for 3 months and enjoy the cooler climate and more important do a lot of cycling in more favorable conditions.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Weather in Jan - Feb
Easterly winds about 20-40kph each day most likely, temp about 30-40+ as well, but being close to road it could be 50 degrees for you
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

richmotion

Postby richmotion » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:17 am

Ok, though I let not scare me off immediatelly, I have to admit, that sounds not perfect. :roll:
I will give New Zealand a shot, I´ll see what else comes to my list.

Thanks for your replies!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:15 am

richmotion wrote:Ok, though I let not scare me off immediatelly, I have to admit, that sounds not perfect. :roll:
I will give New Zealand a shot, I´ll see what else comes to my list.

Thanks for your replies!
You can get historical climate data from the Bureau of Meteorology. There is data for say Noresman (start of the main crossing from WA to SA) which has mean max of 33 C in January (hottest month) and similar for Balladonia. It seems that at Balladonia for example 40 C is not unusual and they experience 17+ days over 30 C in January. Wind speeds don't look so bad in January.

Andrew