Cairns 2 Sydney... outback style!

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Cairns 2 Sydney... outback style!

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi All,

In August 13' I am doing a ride to raise awareness and funds for 4 different charities, and to spread a message of living every moment like you mean it!

I need lots of tips and advice on all those who have gone before me :)

My main route to follow is Cairns - Bourke- Sydney.

Firstly- Is the best route for this to go down to Townsville and in...? I was looking at going down to Airlie Beach and then in and down (from Mackay); does anyone know what the best route between Cairns and Bourke is? Sealed roads...

I would really, sincerely appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide me with!!

Many Thanks.
CP
tenniscourt

by BNA » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:44 pm

BNA

Re: Cairns 2 Sydney... outback style!

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:44 pm

I'd be avoiding the Bruce Highway, it's not a pleasant place to cycle. And August will be in the tourist high season with lots of traffic.

Go for an inland route, something like this one.

Keep in mind that inland overnight temperatures in August will be as cold as they get, and you'll need to be prepared for frosty conditions.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Re: Cairns 2 Sydney... outback style!

Postby TCAT » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:41 pm

I agree with RonK in going inland would be better than the costal route. However there are a couple of issues against going inland. Temperatures can be very cold in the mornings but daytime temperatures are warming up by mid August and can be hot at times with westerly/north west winds blowing.
I have just travelled by car on the route from Emerald to Cairns as detailed by RonK. It was reasonably quite but a big percentage of the traffic is road trains. The wind generated by them will be extremely annoying and if the prevailing wind is from the west you will find riding most uncomfortable. Even more so after Greenvale (travelling south) for about 100KM, where the bitumen can be just wide enough for one vehicle.
You may need to take two days of water with you as there are long stretches of “nothing” between Mt Garnet and Clermont.
TCAT

Return to Touring Australia