Prevailing wind directions Warrnambool to Adelaide in April

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Prevailing wind directions Warrnambool to Adelaide in April

Postby timelovelo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 am

Hi all,

I toured Great Ocean Road some years back and had a terribly icy headwind that destroyed any romance of riding the GOR. I rode it Warrnambool to Geelong direction, but gave up by Apollo Bay; frazzled and despondent at losing the battle against a 5 day long icy breeze and sleet in Summer! I'm usually impervious to adversity, but this particular ride offered too much pain and not enough pleasure.

I'm hoping to avoid similar conditions in a ride Warrnambool to Adelaide in April- taking a mainly coastal route. Intended route will be Portland, Mt Gambier, Millicent, Kingston, Lake Albert, Tailem Bend, Strathalbyn, Mt Barker and then to Adelaide.

Wind-wise in an autumn April, is it generally best to ride East to West via this coastal route or the other way?

Any weather/route tips will be much appreciated!

Tim
timelovelo

by BNA » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:50 pm

BNA

Re: Prevailing wind directions Warrnambool to Adelaide in Ap

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Prepare yourself! Here there be headwinds!

I'd consider starting in Adelaide and riding back to Warrnambool. We found that April was around about the turning point for the season. We had nice tailwinds from Geelong to Apollo Bay. From Cape Otway we had headwinds all the way to Adelaide...... in April. Summer time you'll more likely get the south-easterlies, from Autumn through to late Spring you can expect mainly westerlies and north-westerlies.

il padrone

Postby timelovelo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:17 am

Brilliant!!! Not.

Exactly the advice I was after.

Your windvest ontop of your day jersey says it all for me. I should post some of my South Island, NZ tour pics...Gale force winds, sleet, snow. And this was in late November! (Hmm, GOR & South Island NZ: I get the impression the weather gods get angry whenever I time touring trips too far from home).

Thanks for the big red "Wrong Way, Go Back" sign. I can re-plan with a bit more ease now.

Tim
timelovelo

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:07 am

timelovelo wrote:Your windvest ontop of your day jersey says it all for me.

Actually that was on a better day :wink: . The windiest day we had we were dressed like this:

il padrone

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:15 am

timelovelo wrote:I should post some of my South Island, NZ tour pics...Gale force winds, sleet, snow. And this was in late November!

Yep, I was there October/November too. Yep, gale-force winds, sleet, snow and low temps. My pics are here.

For trip planning the BOM wind roses are a useful guide to wind direction.
RonK

Return to Touring Australia