Cycling "microadventures" share you tales!

VeloGiro

Re: Cycling "microadventures" share you tales!

Postby VeloGiro » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:36 am

We recently had another mini tour... This time in the NE of Victoria - A lovely little loop from Albury up the Murray to Walwa, Burrowa Pine National Park, Corryong, Colac Colac (pronounced Clack Clack), Tallangata and back to Wodonga. We seemed to squeeze quite a bit into 6 days.. It was a great ride!

If your interested check out the ride blog...https://clackclackclassic.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:55 pm

Not really a miniadventure, but in the same spirit. A bunch ride with mates turned out to be a bit of fun when we decided no one was bailing this time and called it rain hail or shine. Needless to say it bucketed but after the first 14 minutes of getting soaked, we pretty much felt like we were 8 again. Ended up doing 90km that day with 2 crampers and one dude freezing to death. Best hot noodle soup afterwards too.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:28 pm

nice story barefoot. I am sure your daughter will look back in years to come and realize how special her dad is for doing such things. takes a lot of effort to overcome inertia and what if mindset to do that stuff with kids.

I've done a lot of micro-adventures around the Northern NSW and Sunny Coast hinterlands.
The most adventurous was a 'credit card ride', from home in Brisbane to Kin Kin north of Noosa. over 200k each way....there were two of us and we stayed at the local pub. Felt like a one week holiday rather than a weekend of riding. Was quite weak for the last 100k as the previous day had included a lot of hills. But was glad to have done it. You do tend to harden up as you do more long distance stuff, within reason

https://app.strava.com/activities/77303016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://app.strava.com/activities/77303007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:35 pm

Did a nice (albeit climatically-challenging) micro-tour on last weekend. This was one of a series of rides I am running to ride the length of the Grand Ridge Road in three weekend tours. Last weekend was the eastern end.

We departed Morwell in rain to head out to Churchill for a short break from the rain, then rode up the Jeeralang West Rd on tarmac, then muddy gravel to meet the Grand Ridge Road at Binns Junction. We continued riding up to Balook to stay at the Tarra-Bulga Guesthouse (a lovely place where most of us camped with great facilities for a small group), then after walking through the national park there, riding east to Carrajung and down to Gormandale and Traralgon for the train home. Weather on the Sunday, despite forecasts of 35 degrees with afternoon thunderstorms, was nicer, getting to about 32 deg by 3pm and no thunderstorms at all.

An excellent time had by all despite the rain.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:03 am

looks like great stuff padrone. If I lived in Melbourne I'd be looking for similar escapes from urbania.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Great pics IP. I traveled through some of the strzleckis prior to Christmas and loved it.

Your ride looks great too NixTrader. Certainly not short on detail. IP knows the area very well I imagine. I've done a couple of rides in that area with MBTC. Ruffy general store does a fantastic breakfast.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:29 pm

+1 nice areas to ride through. We did a three day Grand Ridge tour nearly 20 years ago on MTBs with just a backpack and stayed at the Tara Bulga Guest House then a night at the Mirboo pub. Lot of stuff on those bikes IP for a weekend jaunt.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:45 pm

It's often commented about the amount of gear used for a weekend but I can't see a way around it if you're camping and cooking. Suggestions welcome on how to prune the load. :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:37 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Lot of stuff on those bikes IP for a weekend jaunt.
Standard kit, tho we wuz travlin' lite :wink:

Front panniers were very lightly packed, but I have a prejudice against 'rear-pannier only' tours; seen a few too many riders thus loaded go down on gravel.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:38 pm

It was a few years ago my wife and I went on a small weekend adventure from Brissie to North Stradbroke Island. We booked a room at the Straddie Hotel, then set off on our MTB's from our home in the CBD carrying only a small backpack each with swimmers and overnight clothing, to Cleveland on Moreton Bay where we boarded the Straddie ferry.

It's a very pleasant cruise across the bay to Dunwich, then we cycled across the island to Point Lookout, checked in to our room and spent the afternoon swimming and lazing about on the beach.

As the sun set we headed to the hotel bistro and had a delicious seafood dinner on the deck high above the beach.

Next morning we had a lazy start with brekkie at one of the very popular local restaurants followed by a long walk along the beach to North Gorge, then more swimming and lazing around.

After a fine lunch at the hotel bistro, we cycled back across the island to Amity Point, and eventually back to Dunwich where we caught the last ferry just as the sun set.

A short ride to the Cleveland town centre and we were soon on a train heading back to the CBD, where from Roma Street station we had a few hundred metres ride to home.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:51 am

Looks great RonK! I've travelled extensively around Aus, but I have never made it to any of the large QLD islands so far; Stradbroke N&S, Moreton, Fraser etc. Will add it to the list.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:19 pm

With the advent of fat bikes, there's a better way to visit now - Moreton Island Fatbike Trip

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...