Tents -weight

cavebear2

Re: Tents -weight

Postby cavebear2 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:31 am

il padrone wrote:Tarptents

I don't get it :?:

Fly, poles, tub floor, even mosquito mesh. Why not have a full tent with an inner (that is removable if you choose) and ensure you have better ventilation to avoid condensation on cool nights. You're only saving maybe 500g of fabric, at the cost of a damp morning, every morning in winter :roll:
But that's exactly it, these tents are fantastically well ventilated due to a mesh 'window' that gives 360 degree ventilation at head level when lying down. Can be a bit windy inside the tent at an exposed location though and no good for dry, dusty camping.......

You could squeeze 2 people into the 1 man version (950 gms) but with no gear, but then that's what pack covers are for.....

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 03, 2009 5:55 pm

Yes, but you'll note that it has a door to the fly that is tied aside. On a cold night you can close the door (sensible enough) to keep a bit warmer. Howver the same cold night will produce condensation inside the fly - it happens on all tents, due to ground moisture, atmospheric moisture condensing out and your own body heat. The difference is with a double skin tent your inner tent stays dry, the moisture condenses on the outer fly. With just a single skin you'll get dripping wetness onto your gear and sleeping bag :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:42 pm

All I can say is that this has never been a significant problem with my 1 man tarp tent, particularly if there is any wind & even if the fly is fully zipped up.

Having said that, this is after all, marketed as a 3 season tent and I would use my Macpac Microlight (1.9kgs) in more extreme winter conditions - for both warmth and moisture considerations.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm thinking of getting one of these single man tents, either the One Planet Gunyah 1V or the Exped Vela 1 which I plan to use for both hiking & touring. I'm not sure which one though? Both weigh below 1.4kg & are a similar price...

mylesau

Postby mylesau » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 pm

I've been using a Black Wolf Mantis II - a good value tent in my opinion (2.3 kg). I prefer a two man tent for touring, the additional room makes for a comfortable rest stop especially if it's raining. The Mantis II has good sized vestibules as well.

I'm getting something a little different for Christmas (should be here next week):
Warbonnet BlackBird Hammock

All up, with tarp, weighs around 1.3 kg. From what I've read there isn't a more comfortable way to sleep, and the tarp gives a much larger 'living' space. The hammock has the added advantage of being a chair as well. Only drawback - gotta have trees or something similar to hang from, though they can be setup on the ground at a pinch. Looking forward to getting this - should be able to do a bit of stealth camping during tours.
Last edited by mylesau on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:51 pm

The Exped Vela 1 only uses two pegs & I think takes 1 & 1/2 min to put up, it has the strongest floor of most single man tents so doesn't need an extra foot print but the price is a bit of a sticking point for me? It also appeals to me as I can use it when I go on hikes to new surf breaks along the coast, it really holds up well in strong winds.

I think I've just answered my own question..

steveoc

Postby steveoc » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:36 pm

For something completely different, and more in the HTFU category of camping equipment :

Old East German army surplus tent quarters :

Not overly lightweight, but they are tough as nails, made of a heavy canvas material and serve a multitude of purposes. Just big enough for 1 person as a tent (6 foot x 6 foot), but they can be buttoned together to form 2, 3, or 4 man tents with just enough room to squeeze in.

They can also be configured as a rain poncho to wear whilst walking about or riding, as this has a closeable head-flap and draw cords built in to close up the poncho around your waist. They are quite good at keeping the frost out - as they were issued for field use in Eastern Europe. Totally 100% windproof as well.

Bit difficult to find these days though - Id recommend US suppliers, but be careful with postage rates if you do find a 'bargain'.

Bit on the bulky side compared to the plastic 'hootchies' that we are issued with in the Australian army. The german models roll up and are strapped to the outside of the tiny backpack, so the whole package of backpack + tent is compact and easy to wear on the move. The backpack that usually comes with them is lined with a heavy vinyl material, and can be submerged completely whilst keeping the contents 90% dry (bit of water does leak in through the flap during a river crossing .. I know this the hard way)

I do remember one particularly bad night in the border ranges, pitching a hootchie on a 25% slope of pure mud in torrential rain, and having to 'sleep' with my webbing on tied to a tree so I didnt roll down the hill during the night. I didnt exactly sleep properly that night, but I was still half dry when it came time to stand to. Hmmm ... Fact is, if it is raining, then you are going to get wet at some stage, most important thing is to have a reserve of dry clothes stashed away deep in your pack.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi

Those East German tarps look heavy as ... really need to get modern if going down that path I reckon. Something along the lines of the Henry Spires Tarptents

Cavebear (on here) has one, but can't remember which model.

or that likes of an Integral Designs SilDome tarp tested at Backpackgeartest.org

For lightweight gear BackpackGearTest.org (test gear only, no selling of gear) and Backpacklight.org are well worth checking out. Both mobs have Australian gear testers too.

Andrew

steveoc

Postby steveoc » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:05 pm

+1 looks like good value, and not much messing around to drop it and get moving. For $199, I think I still have room in the xmas stocking. I like that one a lot. Thanks Andrew.

With the military equipment, there is a requirement (that you wont find in the more sensible shelter equipment), of being able to drop the tent in seconds .. and secondly to be able to quickly roll it up and pack it without standing up or otherwise sticking your head up too high. Also being able to do this at short notice in the middle of the night is essential as well, so you wont find poles or semi-complicated parts with mil equipment. Not exactly a big deal for the real world though, but old habits do die hard. I like to get fully packed and moving by sunrise. (dont you hate that when you are out bush with others, and they are still fiddling around packing things away, cleaning up and trying to organised - and its 12 oclock already ! - half the day gone !)

I am tempted to dissapear out bush for a week with the 4WD and the mountain bike after Tour Down Under, any equipment hints greatly appreciated.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...

mylesau

Postby mylesau » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:10 am

steveoc, take a look at the hammock forums - 2 minutes to pitch 2 minutes to pack (or less). Most of the guys over there are seriously into light weight gear, many do snow camping so hanging is no problem in the cold either with the right setup.

justD

Re:

Postby justD » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:22 am

Aushiker wrote:
il padrone wrote:If you hunt around the better outdoor shops it should be no problem finding a 2 man tent that is even 2.5kg, or if you wish, a 1 man tent that is 1.8kg.
You can get much lighter and good quality tents now days ... anything over 2.5 kg for a two person is heavy in my view and anything over 1.2 kg for a single person is also heavy.

I am happy with my Black Diamond Mesa (two person) but it is on the heavy side IMO and but my single person one is a good weight. It is a Big Sky Products Evolution 1P and I am very happy with.

Regards
Andrew
Alright, I almost got excited about that 1.2kg 1 person tent. Your second link doesn't work though. But having a look at their website, it just looks ridiculously expensive (IMO). Probably looking at over $400 from what I can see on their site.

My 2-man Lynx tent weighs 2.4kg, but has never been out of its carry bag so I can't really comment :( Guess it's time for a test run.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:03 am

Wingnut wrote:I'm thinking of getting one of these single man tents, either the One Planet Gunyah 1V or the Exped Vela 1 which I plan to use for both hiking & touring. I'm not sure which one though? Both weigh below 1.4kg & are a similar price...

Go for the Exped. A friend of mine has one and it has better usable space inside and a much larger vesibule to store your gear.

Personally I don't mind carrying that bit of extra weight to have the luxury of a two-man tent. I use the Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow.

Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Re: Re:

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:54 pm

justD wrote:Alright, I almost got excited about that 1.2kg 1 person tent. Your second link doesn't work though. But having a look at their website, it just looks ridiculously expensive (IMO). Probably looking at over $400 from what I can see on their site.
Hi

Price sounds about right. There is, it seems a inverse relationship between weight and price :(. In my experience walking there is a strong "you pay for what you get" angle to backpacking gear, e.g., tents etc. For me, whether riding or walking I prefer to enjoy the experience and part of that is keeping my weight down. As I bushwalk my focus is on lightweight gear and hence I buy with that emphasis. If I was just riding I might be less focused on weight, but at the end of the day, my tent is my shelter and often that will be my only shelter. I am not going to skimp on it; just not worth it my view.

Andrew

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:18 am

I don't know... I was in K-mart today and saw a 2.2kg 2-man tent for $38. It's big enough for you to sleep in with your panniers inside the tent (I wouldn't leave them on the bike outside overnight away from home).
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:23 am

Martin, do not buy this tent! As Andrew has mentioned, 'you get what you pay for' with tents. It may look fine on the showroom floor, but out in the bush on a wet, stormy night, the cries can be distressing :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:07 pm

hartleymartin wrote:I don't know... I was in K-mart today and saw a 2.2kg 2-man tent for $38. It's big enough for you to sleep in with your panniers inside the tent (I wouldn't leave them on the bike outside overnight away from home).
These are a great buget mozzie/sun shelter and will even handle light rain NP, I stayed in a GF's buget dome tent; and for a $25 dollar tent I was impressed as it didnt leak when it rained (My expectations were so low though).
I have spent many years of tent camping, including cylones and below zero. from tents that took half a day almost to erect and weighed a ton! to light weight domes. In heavy rain with a sewn in floor a puddle on the floor was always normal, so was digging trenches around the tent in the middle of the night (non sewn in floor canvas tents). Tents have developed more than skyscapers in the last 30 year if you ask me.
Where the value in this tent hits the floor is durability none of the stress points will be properly reinforced; where your corner peg loops are sewn in and your fly securing loops, will literaly rip out of the tent material. Usally after a few uses (trust me it dose'nt take long) Also in my opinion their main weakness is wind more than anything else. some of these cheap dome tents will lay flat in any sort of strong wind.
For $130 online you can get a reasonable lightweight 2 man hiking tent with alloy poles. for this you get lighter weight, smaller packed dimensions. better waterproofing/wind resistance. At three times the price it will last for 10 times the uses and do a better job.
If you really want to do a tight a$+e tuesday then buy a mega cheap single skin dome for rrp $19.95 form one of the discount shops it will be lighter weight and easier to put up, and wont try to pretend it is a real tent.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm tossing up between a Hilleberg Akto and MSR Hubba HP... both three-to-four season, ultralight soloist tents; neither is cheap ;)

The Akto is bombproof by reputation and looks roomier at the ends; the MSR is taller in the middle, possibly better ventilated but looks a bit fiddly to set up.

Any opinions welcome ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:47 pm

m@ wrote:I'm tossing up between a Hilleberg Akto and MSR Hubba HP... both three-to-four season, ultralight soloist tents; neither is cheap ;)

The Akto is bombproof by reputation and looks roomier at the ends; the MSR is taller in the middle, possibly better ventilated but looks a bit fiddly to set up.

Any opinions welcome ;)
Hi

The Hillebergs are designed for European conditions (or were) and hence the fly tends to come down close the ground, significantly reducing the ventilation: end result being condensation in our conditions (well maybe not in Tasmania), i.e., being rained on. So if condensation is an issue in your camping areas I would go the MSR over the Helleberg. There is an owner review on the MSR here which might be worth a read.

The MSR looks nice but is still to heavy in my book :)

Andrew

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:59 pm

How about making your own?

I'm quite keen to try out Ray Jardine's build it yourself tarp design.
He reckons they keep you drier than a tent due to less condensation, and he has done some serious expeditions with them.

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Tarp-Kit/index.htm

Would definitely need the insectproof inner in Australia.

In WA being too hot in a tent seems to be an issue more often than too cold.

Moocar

Postby Moocar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:The MSR looks nice but is still to heavy in my book :)
I bought an MSR Carbon Reflex 2 on a whim (I was on tour and thinking in the moment). It's really really well constructed and I think it IS the lightest 2 person tent on the market (1.5kg I think). Apart from being super expensive, it fails on many of my musts for a bike touring tent, which I've listed below

1. Free standing - For the inevitable setup inside an undercover concrete camp kitchen.
2. Dark colours - for stealth camping
3. 1 phase setup - You want to be able to setup the tent in torrential rain without the inside getting wet.

The Carbon Reflex fails all of these, however I'll keep it for backcountry hiking. The Hubba IS a free standing tent which is a huge plus, but it still fails on the dark colours and 1 phase setup.

If anyone knows of a tent that satisfies those criteria, lemme know!

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:30 pm

Aushiker wrote:
m@ wrote:I'm tossing up between a Hilleberg Akto and MSR Hubba HP... both three-to-four season, ultralight soloist tents; neither is cheap ;)

Any opinions welcome ;)
Hi

The Hillebergs are designed for European conditions (or were) and hence the fly tends to come down close the ground, significantly reducing the ventilation: end result being condensation in our conditions (well maybe not in Tasmania), i.e., being rained on. So if condensation is an issue in your camping areas I would go the MSR over the Helleberg. There is an owner review on the MSR here which might be worth a read.

The MSR looks nice but is still to heavy in my book :)

Andrew
Thanks for the reply - the Hilleberg is popular in Tas for obvious reasons (our 'European' climate ;)) - that said I am about to move to the ACT so that does kinda makes the decision easier! I believe they've improved the ventilation recently, and there is a mesh inner available now though, so it should be at least 'usable' in mainland Aus conditions.

The MSR was the lightest three+ season tent I could find that I thought would be a comfortable place to hole up for a few days... Originally considered the Terra Nova Laser Comp (AT) 940g but it's a bit on the tiny side. I guess there are other, lighter options but it's a balancing act between weight, comfort and price - I think the MSR will win out unless I have completely missed another option? Three season/dual wall is still a requirement as much of my walking will still be in Tassie (so many walks I meant to do and never got around to :( - South Coast track this summer though :)).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:52 pm

m@ wrote:Thanks for the reply - the Hilleberg is popular in Tas for obvious reasons (our 'European' climate ;)) - that said I am about to move to the ACT so that does kinda makes the decision easier! I believe they've improved the ventilation recently, and there is a mesh inner available now though, so it should be at least 'usable' in mainland Aus conditions.
Mesh inners are fine, but you still need to get the airflow to them and that is where the fly going to the ground is an issue.
The MSR was the lightest three+ season tent I could find that I thought would be a comfortable place to hole up for a few days... Originally considered the Terra Nova Laser Comp (AT) 940g but it's a bit on the tiny side. I guess there are other, lighter options but it's a balancing act between weight, comfort and price - I think the MSR will win out unless I have completely missed another option? Three season/dual wall is still a requirement as much of my walking will still be in Tassie (so many walks I meant to do and never got around to :( - South Coast track this summer though :)).
I am pretty happy with Big Sky Evolution 1P but it may be too small for you. Oh it weighs in at around 916 grams + a little bit more for a free standing double wall tent. The Evolution 2P (two person) weighs in at 1.265 kg.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:22 am

Hi

Another option is the apparently lightest 2 person tent on the market at 2.39 lbs, the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Ray (excellent gear tester in my view) has a report on it at BackpackingLight.com (have to pay for the full review).

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Just lashed out and bought myself the Exped Vela1 at a very good price from Moontrail in the US. RRP is about $500 in Australia and I'll get it delivered for $356 :D

Mandatory helmet law?