Has anyone cycled from Perth to Brisbane?

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Has anyone cycled from Perth to Brisbane?

Postby sissybar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:47 am

Have been researching how long it takes to cycle from Brisbane to Perth (Pretty much coast to coast). Firstly, has anyone done it? How long did it take? What is the record for lowest amount of days?

I did find an old article from 1897, it only mentioned partial way of the journey... and finished the story with... 'Mr.Virgin hopes to arrive at destination in 3 weeks time'.

Have found plenty of forum questions and queries of people through Googlemachine talking about doing the trip, but no proof that they eventually did the ride from either Brisbane to Perth or Perth to Brisbane. I am talking about the most direct route as well, through Broken Hill, Port Augusta onto Eucla and then Perth.

There's lots of references to a guy called Clyde Pellew, who I think is from South Africa, but his post journey links are no longer live on the web.

Would love to hear from anyone who knows of someone that completed the ride from Brisbane to Perth, and more importantly how many days of cycling and how many days of rest it involved.

Cheers
sissybar

by BNA » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:45 pm

BNA

Re: Has anyone cycled from Perth to Brisbane?

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Look through this forum and you'll find plenty of discussion about Trans-Australia tours. Probably not specifically Perth - Brisbane, but Perth - Adelaide/Melbourne/Sydney and Mebourne/Sydney - Brisbane.

You will also find quite a few journals on crazyguyonabike.com - start here.

Peter Heal cycled Perth - Sydney in 12 days, then followed up with around Australia in 49 days.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby GJ_Coop » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:27 am

Perth to Brisbane is 4,345 km.

How long it will take depends on a myriad of things, some outside your control, ie, time of year, how much daylight, wind direction which is usually different depending on time of year, etc, and some which you decide about, how long you want to ride each day, how many hours you can actually sit on a bike seat day after day, how much stuff you want to take, where you will stay, what width of tyres and what type of bike you have, etc.

Many tourers would think that an average of 120 or 130km a day, day after day, is sufficient and that if you want to do more than that consistently you are doing something different than bike touring. If you have a decent tail wind you might get 200km+ but it's hard to do that if you are biking into a headwind regularly.

Some people start off furiously and then collapse, mentally as much as physically.

3 or 4 weeks sounds achievable.
GJ_Coop

Postby maxknott » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 pm

to me cycle touring isn't about getting from A>B,its about what happens in between,but there's plenty of others more qualified to offer an opinion.
to the op's question, no idea but it sound like a fun journey
maxknott

Return to Touring Australia