Munda Biddi fully opened. Any feedback?

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Munda Biddi fully opened. Any feedback?

Postby Vintagetourer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:33 am

This is probably old news to one and all on this switched on forum, but I was just reading in the Canberra Cyclist mag that the Munda Biddi Trail now runs (since April) all the way from Albany to Perth and is all off-road. It sounds great. 1000 car-free km!

The website is saying that it is suited to MTBs, or other bike types e.g. Hybrids with fatter tyres.

The question is, how suitable is the trail for loaded touring bikes?
My guess is that it'd be fine with the right tyres.
Does anybody have any recent, first-hand experience on the trail with a diamond frame touring bike with panniers.

My bike is a Thorn Sherpa. I also have a Bike Friday, but am assuming it would be completely out of contention for the Munda Biddi.
Vintagetourer

by BNA » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:23 pm

BNA

Re: Munda Biddi fully opened. Any feedback?

Postby Raffky » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Last Easter I did a short but very enjoyable ride from Boyannup to Jarrahdale (about 200k). I rode my touring Surly Trucker but switched to Schwable Land Cruiser 1.75s and from drops to flat bars (see the thread below with lots of helpful advice from Aushiker and others far more experienced than me). Anyway in my short trip, I quickly learned that I was very glad of the change to larger tyres for comfort and control. The pea gravel in places needs a bigger but lower inflated tyre.

The trail that I went on often meandered either side of a road and there were some sections where I decided I'd had enough of the same forest views and terrain and chose to ride on the dirt road. Each to their own I guess, but I still had a lot of fun. I reckon you could ride any bike on the section I travelled but thin tyres would be pain. Get the wider tyres. A MTB is ideal for this territory but I'd be happy taking my loaded touring bike with the right tyres. Plenty of others have done it before. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61044
Raffky

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:01 am

Interesting. Thanks Raffky.
Vintagetourer

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:This is probably old news to one and all on this switched on forum, but I was just reading in the Canberra Cyclist mag that the Munda Biddi Trail now runs (since April) all the way from Albany to Perth and is all off-road. It sounds great. 1000 car-free km!

Sorry but somebody has been telling porkies in Canberra ... this is not 1,000 km of car-free kilometres by a long shot. In fact you will see more road (bitumen, dirt, fire trails) than single track well and truly through to Manjimup and then it gets good for the section through to Nannup and then back to more roads of various types.

The question is, how suitable is the trail for loaded touring bikes?
My guess is that it'd be fine with the right tyres.

I wouldn't have any concerns riding my Surly Long Haul Trucker through to at least Donnybrook and really would do the whole Trail on it. Probably not as much fun further north but still doable.

Does anybody have any recent, first-hand experience on the trail with a diamond frame touring bike with panniers.

I have just completed Albany to Donnybrook but on my Giant XTC mountain bike pulling the Extrawheel Voyager.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks Andrew. Very helpful points.
Vintagetourer

Postby FatGuts » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:This is probably old news to one and all on this switched on forum, but I was just reading in the Canberra Cyclist mag that the Munda Biddi Trail now runs (since April) all the way from Albany to Perth and is all off-road. It sounds great. 1000 car-free km!

I was reading the same thing on the bus this afternoon (while hanging on, Ayrton Senna was driving). It looked nice. More pictures would have been nice.
FatGuts

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 pm

FatGuts wrote:... More pictures would have been nice.

Here you go :)

ImagePG

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Return to Touring Australia