Panniers

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Panniers

Postby Davidkmendel » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:43 am

I was wondering just how crucial it is to have front and rear panniers as opposed to just rear panniers as regards handling/safety. I have a deuter 30l trans alpine backpack, medium handlebar bag and about to purchase rear panniers. I know "get the weight off your back" etc but would this be ok until I can afford better touring bike etc.
Davidkmendel

by BNA » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 am

BNA

Re: Panniers

Postby r2160 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 am

I ran for over 2 years with just rear panniers. I only noticed it was harder up hills. The bike obviously handles a little different, but it never bothered me at all.

(I also have a pair of ortlieb rear panniers for sale if you are interested)

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong
r2160

Postby geoffs » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:31 pm

If you pack well rear panniers are fine. If you are carrying all your camping gear, food cooking gear etc you will need front panniers as well.
I've been touring for over 25yrs and have tried lots of panniers. Just buy Ortlieb and then you wont be buying something else and then buying ortleib :-)
geoffs

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Almost anything will be "OK until I can afford a better touring bike" but the consideration is what you want, what is ideal, and what you are prepared to put up with.

I began my touring with just rear panniers, but after a year or three I spent some money on the front panniers - when I could afford it. Initially I saw it as just an additional load carrying option. But after using them for a few years, and especially once I began using the then new 'low-riders' I realised the huge benefits in terms of handling and stability compared to just the rear panniers. Over the years I have also seen a number of rather nasty falls when people have been riding at some speed down a hill, where the lack of front panniers contributed very much to the fall. As a general rule, if I am to carry camping gear and food I will always use the front panniers. If I'm doing a tour staying in accommodation with no camping I will use just the rear bags and handlebar bag.

Backpacks are a no-no. I will use one for MTB day-rides and have done some MTB overnight rides staying in accommodation where I used the backpack with a handlebar bag and saddlebag. That is the only role of a backpack on a bike for me.

Most of my fellow touring cyclists do it the same, for similar reasons. Experience is a good teacher.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby geoffs » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:07 pm

I started with front and rear Karrimor panniers and I still have a photo somewhere of what I thought I would be able to fit in them hahaha
I was fortunate that I had 4 cyclists who had ridden from London to Sydney go through my kit and weed out all the extraneous rubbish.
We manage quite well on the tandem with to rear panniers when we go credit card touring. Total weight of our kit including bags is normally around the 12kg mark. You learn to pack very well when you have a Tandem. Two people but the storage for one :-)
geoffs

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:33 pm

geoffs wrote:We manage quite well on the tandem with to rear panniers when we go credit card touring. Total weight of our kit including bags is normally around the 12kg mark. You learn to pack very well when you have a Tandem. Two people but the storage for one :-)

Yes, it really does depend on the style of touring you plan to undertake. Four pannier bags, a rack-bag, and a handlebar bag are required if you wish to carry gear and food (plus maybe water to camp) for up to 6-8 days away from any supplies. For tours in settled districts, with daily resupply, you don't really need as much space. Sometimes it's a handy thing to use to carry produce away though :wink:

But my comments on stability and safety of handling still apply. Front panniers (low-mount) generally stabilise your steering. I have had in excess of 7kgs in each front bag and the bike handles very well, rides in a controlled manner downhill, able to sit or stand on the steep climbs. The rear panniers are destabilising as the weight goes up. If you put more than 15kgs on the rear with no front panniers the 'tail wags the dog'. Don't even consider doing a standing climb with this load, and be careful trying to race down a mountain at speed. Braking on gravel roads is very skatey.

Tandems are a bit different in this regard as their much longer wheelbase, and greater rider payload, means the load distribution has less affect.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:22 pm

I'm wondering what sort of tie-downs you use on your rack bag IP? I've noticed them in several earlier photos.
In preparation for an upcoming trip I have been patching holes in my bag today. The steel occy strap hooks have worn through my rack top bag.
Tim

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Ah that'd be the looprope.

I used regular occy straps with hooks for many years, mostly no problems but always that nagging worry about any hook being suddenly released. It is a safety issue to be aware of. People have lost eyes and such :( A couple of years back my local hardware stores actually stopped selling occy straps over the safety risk..... but they brought them back.

Looprope avoids all this - it has no open hooks. It is also a good deal more versatile than simple occy straps. One looprope does me for the bike - I'm using the 5 foot version, it comes with two of their double-clip carabiner-style hooks.

The loops can be used to secure clothes and extra bits:

Last edited by il padrone on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il padrone

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Such a good source of info are the members of this forum.
Thanks, I'll be tracking one of them down soon.
Tim

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:03 pm

I've bought three* now. Bought them direct from their US website - no worries.

*Do not ever try to take one of these onto a plane in your carry-on bag. Bye-bye looprope :cry:
il padrone

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:19 pm

il padrone wrote:*Do not ever try to take one of these onto a plane in your carry-on bag. Bye-bye looprope :cry:

Well what do you expect?
You could tie-up (or down) the entire cabin crew with just one of them. Or perhaps launch six grenades, all at once. :D
Tim

Panniers

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:59 pm

These ROK Straps are great. I've used them for years on motorbikes and now on my touring bikes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Return to Touring Australia