Tasmania tour, january/february 2014

obikiller
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:54 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Tasmania tour, january/february 2014

Postby obikiller » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi all!
i' will be shortly (in january, don't know exactly whan) go to tasmania and do the full lap in the map in about 3/4 weeks. I have plenty of time and would like to really enjoy being outside in the nature, so i'm getting geared with all the stuff i need to camp.
Other than some advices, is there anybody planning to do the same? Maybe we can meet and share part of the tour.
Don't be shy!

Matteo

BigPete
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Tasmania tour, january/february 2014

Postby BigPete » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:03 am

I am planning a similar 4 week ride of Tasmania starting mid January. Apart from Hobart, I don’t plan to travel the east coast but rather stick to less travelled routes like the west coast area, Southwest National Park and the Great Western Tiers region.

Be aware if you plan to travel between the far north west and Strahan that the Western Explorer Highway is closed until March 2014.

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22738
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Tasmania tour, january/february 2014

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:22 am

BigPete wrote:Be aware if you plan to travel between the far north west and Strahan that the Western Explorer Highway is closed until March 2014.

Hey really?? Why is this the case? Any links or info on it?

That road is a pretty brutal ride, but worth it in the end. Just be sure not to ride over-loaded, most of the climbs are really horendous in the southern 50kms. And the only other option to get to the west coast (the Murchison Hwy) is a really nasty, heavy truck-traffic sewer now. I got a real shock riding it 4 years ago, having previously ridden it in the 1980s when you could ride for half an hour between cars. The closure of the Burnie-Roseberry rail line has not been good for this road.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8240
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Tasmania tour, january/february 2014

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:26 am

il padrone wrote:
BigPete wrote:Be aware if you plan to travel between the far north west and Strahan that the Western Explorer Highway is closed until March 2014.

Hey really?? Why is this the case? Any links or info on it?

There has been a landslip and part of the road has been carried away. There is a journal on CGOAB with some pictures, and the bikes were able to pass the slide, but once repair work starts this may no longer be true.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22738
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Tasmania tour, january/february 2014

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:37 am

Ah, OK. Found it. Here it is now
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."


obikiller
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:54 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Tasmania tour, january/february 2014

Postby obikiller » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:35 pm

BigPete wrote:I am planning a similar 4 week ride of Tasmania starting mid January. Apart from Hobart, I don’t plan to travel the east coast but rather stick to less travelled routes like the west coast area, Southwest National Park and the Great Western Tiers region.

Be aware if you plan to travel between the far north west and Strahan that the Western Explorer Highway is closed until March 2014.


Thanks a lot for the info!
it's very important, as i'm starting to plan the stages in more details.
I'll start from Launceston (got friends there), but still don't know exactly when i'll start. Do you have a gpx file of your plan?

BigPete
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Tasmania tour, january/february 2014

Postby BigPete » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:32 pm

I don’t have a GPX file but do have the planned route on ‘google maps’. I will PM you with the link to the map.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users