From Launceston to Hobart

LG

Re: From Launceston to Hobart

Postby LG » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Not sure if you've gone through yet, but a couple weeks ago the Weilangta Road was quite rough(potholed and rocky), ride-able but a fair bit of care needed to be taken on descents.

If you are riding the Weilangta Road I'd suggest taking the road via Spring Beach and Reban, its slightly further but you avoid a major hill and half is asphalt with fantastic views over Maria Is. Once you hit Bream Ck road at the other end the dirt is very well maintained all the way to the Falls site.

I'd also suggest to take Marion Bay Road to Dunalley then travel along the coast via Connellys Marsh and Carlton/Dodges Ferry for the ride to Hobart. This is a fair bit further than taking the highway but a lot more pleasant, especially with all the post Falls traffic on the highway.
LG = Low Gear

EwanH

Postby EwanH » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:35 am

Yeah, the Weilangata Road was pretty horrendous to get through, rocky and rutted descending and some steep and slippy climbs too. I camped the night at the picnic ground in the middle of those two massive climbs. I'm so glad I took that option as both climbs in the one ride would take some serious strength. I turned left at Bream Creek Rd and tried to get thru only to be turned around and sent back to the main road by security! Total joke. Lovely bit or road though.
So I ended up with all the traffic on the highway and idiots who can't drive their hire campers on narrow roads. The scariest 4 km I've ever ridden.

LG

Postby LG » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:14 am

Weilangta Road near destroyed me coming through. I had a deadline to meet my partner in Dunalley though, so ended up with that being at the end of a 160km day - Bicheno to Dunalley. Absolutely ridiculous them not letting a cyclist through the roadblock on Bream Ck Rd. Good to know though, as I was planning to ride a circuit through there tomorrow.
LG = Low Gear

Matty

Postby Matty » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:32 am

I did this route in early February and it was very nice. First time to Tassie and a great way to see it. The cycling was varied and some nice hills around Launceston.

The Imperial Hotel and Branxholm was really nice to have a feed and a clean bed for the night. The owners were very friendly. Only other tip I could add was that the Hobart Virgin check in did have a bike box for purchase, but sadly no lounge to get a shower, apologies to the person sitting next to me on the way to Melbourne...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:32 pm

EwanH wrote:Yeah, the Weilangata Road was pretty horrendous to get through, rocky and rutted descending and some steep and slippy climbs too. I camped the night at the picnic ground in the middle of those two massive climbs. I'm so glad I took that option as both climbs in the one ride would take some serious strength.

We rode from Triabunna through to Kellevie, with my daughter aged 15. She told us on Day 2 of the tour that her shoes were too tight. We offered to buy her new shoes in Launceston, but she said "No. I'll just ride in thongs" !! She did 101 kms from Scamander to Coles Bay..... in thongs. Then later on, the Wielangta Road in the one day. All those hills.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Titus Anglesmith

Postby Titus Anglesmith » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Wow! This is great, a massive thank you for all your contributions. I've just recently become interested in tour cycling after a recent 4 week cycling tour through South East Asia. I thought of doing something similar again, and thought tasmanias east coast would be ideal. Not every going before, I googled the trip from Launceston to Hobart and your forum was the first to come up in the search, and WOW! What a weath of information you've all provided.

Reading through all the post I'm definitely inspired to get out there and give it a go. Thank you again to everyone for sharing there experiences.

sdfh2354lsdf1

Postby sdfh2354lsdf1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:03 pm

Thinking of doing this route in a 'supported' fashion via this:

http://www.cycling-tasmania.com/price_t ... coast.html

With kids, (girls, 10 and 5), starting on Jan 15 (anybody wants to join?).

The main worry is traffic, will it be too stressful with children?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:55 pm

I have ridden the east coast from Launceston - Hobart in late February. I didn't have children with me, but traffic seemed fairly light and it didn't bother me much at all.

If your children understand and observe the road rules I don't think you will find it stressful.

It is a very pleasant ride and the places mentioned in the itinerary are certainly worth visiting.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

sdfh2354lsdf1

Postby sdfh2354lsdf1 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:17 pm

RonK wrote:It is a very pleasant ride

Thanks for the advice

Warin

Postby Warin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:56 pm

sdfh2354lsdf1 wrote:Thinking of doing this route in a 'supported' fashion via this:

As they provide a support vehicle .. they can pick up the kids any time the traffic/road conditions are a worry. So you should be well catered for. There are some hilly bits that might tire them, put them in the support vehicle just before they get really tired .. and they can ride down the other side.

MollyPAT

Postby MollyPAT » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my Launceston-Hobart adventure in 4 days and I am overly excited. I decided to follow suggested itinerary I found in some free online booklet "self-guided cycle touring in Tasmania". Second day of cycling it's suggested i take A3 from Scottsdale to St. Helens and i will have around 600m of climb, however, google maps suggest i avoid A3 and go:

<broken link removed - iframe embeds don't work, instead use the googlemap embed option which appears above when you write a post>

I cant find much information about this roads, does anyone have any suggestions what should i do here?

LG

Postby LG » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:37 am

Link not working so aren't sure of your proposed route. The A3 between Scottsdale and St Helens typically isn't that busy, is quite scenic and a nice ride. I would take the rail trail out of Scottsdale to its end near Legerwood then ride on through Branxholm, Derby and Weldborough. Derby in particular is a nice little town which is now booming based on the MTB tracks developed on the edge of town.
LG = Low Gear

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:36 pm

If you are feeling adventurous you could take the C roads GMap suggests, be aware that there will be few supplies along the way.

I'd be sticking to the A3.

I used the booklet you mentioned some years ago. It's an excellent guide and was put together by people who know the place, so the advice given is well-founded and much more reliable than Google Maps.

You are in Tasmania. Hills cannot be avoided. Embrace the climb.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...