Inland/off-road route planning Melbourne/Sydney to Adelaide.

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Inland/off-road route planning Melbourne/Sydney to Adelaide.

Postby TomG90 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some help to find an interesting, challenging, and possibly mainly off-road route to take me from Melbourne/Sydney to Adelaide.

Departure from Melbourne/Sydney: ~20th February.
Arrival Adelaide: 4th April, latest.

My current situation is that I am in Hobart after cycling from Adelaide to Melbourne via the coastal tourist route, and then from Devonport to Hobart along the east coast. I will be heading along the west coast of Tasmania, starting in a few days time. I will be leaving Tasmania around the 20th or so. My only deadline is that I have to be back in Adelaide by the 5th of April, other than that, I'm happy to fly/ship my way to Melbourne, Sydney, or even Brisbane if there is a track that suites. I'm really not interested in taking the well trodden tourist track back again, and have found the off-road tracks I've taken along to way here to be far more fulfilling than cycling highways.

I'm getting a bit lost just staring at the map for possibilities, and it would be great to hear from someone who has tackled similar.

My bike is well equipped for off-road touring and I have ample luggage space to carry plenty of supplies if I need to be entirely self-supported for a days at a time.

Thanks!
TomG90

by BNA » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:58 am

BNA

Re: Inland/off-road route planning Melbourne/Sydney to Adela

Postby jemo27 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:58 am

It might be a bit warm but I did enjoy following the Murray River. I did it in mid April from Adelaide to Renmark via Mannum. I basically tried to avoid the Sturt highway. Between Renmark and Miodura there are options to avoid the Sturt hwy, either follow the river either side of it or go south to Morkalla and cycle to Red cliffs following a former railway line.

You can go inland to Kingstone SE via Naaracoorte, maybe visit Grampians, Mount Araplies along the way. When you cycled along the coorong did you stick to the hwy all the way or did you take the old coorong rd. from memory it's about 40kms of gravel road between the sea and the princes hwy. however you still have to spend 100kms on the hwy after that to get to lake Albert.

There the two routes I took between Adelaide and Victoria.
jemo27

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:42 am

Are you after real off-road riding (very rugged fire-trails, away from towns almost all the time) or just quieter minor roads?

If it is the former there is the Bicentennial National Trail, which runs from Healesville near Melbourne to Cooktown. You could ride it from Melbourne to Sydney, or on to Brisbane. However I would estimate that it would take you at least 4-6 weeks to do Melb-Syd. It is extremely rugged riding through the Victorian ranges, you'd expect to have a lot of off-bike pushing involved.

In that link Michael Rogers took from Feb 14 to April 6 to ride from Melbourne to Canberra.

Personally there are lots of nice quiet roads to ride that are more enjoyable IMHO.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:03 am

I'm getting a bit lost just staring at the map for possibilities, and it would be great to hear from someone who has tackled similar.

See GJ Coop's travel journal for offroad from Adelaide to Melbourne "zig zag across Australia" on crazyguyonabike....pages 362 to 408
Uncle Just

Postby TomG90 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I've been reading the zigzag accross Asutralia blog and I think the Murray River route is ideal.

I'm assuming the cycletrails website is run by the same bloke? In any case, ill use that as a guide to the route once I get back to the mainland. Time to head north!
TomG90

Return to Touring Australia