SET - Solar Trike Tour in US and Australia

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

SET - Solar Trike Tour in US and Australia

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:31 pm

A solar trike, an AZUB TRIcon is out on a long journey. Rob Longstaff will ride his trike across USA and Australia.

I suspect that the American winter, even in the south, is not the perfect testing ground for the solar aspect of the SET, although it is cloud cover (not temperature) that determines solar panel efficiency. I will make some final adjustments to the SET at a friend’s house in Baltimore, and officially begin the American leg of my journey in late January.
The real solar capabilities of the SET will be revealed late in the Australian summer; it has been estimated that in direct sunlight, the panels will add 80-100kms/day to my overall distance.
My Australian journey will either cover the east coast (North to South), a journey to the centre (I’ve never seen Uluru), or if I’m feeling particularly motivated and if I have time, a complete (land) circumnavigation of the whole country.

More at the AZUB blog.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 am

BNA

Re: SET - Solar Trike Tour in US and Australia

Postby FatGuts » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 am

Mmmm, 400km/day. Reasonably large ask. I wonder what the wattage is of that thing?

250w is the maximum allowable in OZ and he would need mor than that to obain an average of 40km/h over 10 hours.

Cool jigger though.
FatGuts

Return to Touring Australia