Carrying Bike on Overland train to Murray Bridge

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Carrying Bike on Overland train to Murray Bridge

Postby Mulgabill » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:56 pm

Some years ago! in another life, :roll: I caught the Overland train from Murray Bridge to Melb and was able to just roll on the bike into the parcel van for the journey.
I'm wondering is that still the case or do they also now require bikes to be boxed??? :?: I may have to try and speak with someone at the Great Southern Rail
Mulgabill

by BNA » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25 pm

BNA

Re: Carrying Bike on Overland train to Murray Bridge

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25 pm

You can do either - box it or not.

Great Southern Rail wrote:SECTOR COST

BICYCLE – PACKED
$30.00

BICYCLE – UNPACKED
$40.00

https://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/si ... o_pack.jsp

To save $10 I wouldn't bother boxing the bike. It remains what I think must be the highest cost for land transport of a bicycle anywhere in the country :shock:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:58 pm

In 2009 I took my bike from Melbourne to Adelaide and rode back to Melbourne.
AFAICR at that time it was double the boxed rate to wheel it into the luggage van with four panniers in place. The cost for the bike was more than I paid for my concessional ticket but the overall total was still less than the best air fare that I could find at the time and i like riding on trains anyway.
But as Pete says, an expensive way to get your bike to/from Adelaide.

Mike
Mike Ayling

Postby Mulgabill » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks Peter and Mike!
Since posting this, I have finally received a return phone call from GSR who have advised that the bikes are now considered part of your baggage allowance and can be rolled into the luggage van and no longer "have to be" boxed.
I agree Peter, there appears to be a conflict with the advice given to me by their Customer Service Officers and their web site :? . I will check again tomorrow, If I can!! :roll:
Mulgabill

Postby Mulgabill » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:35 am

Wow OK! I have just got of the phone from GSR (after being on hold for some time). I have been given some additional info by a different CSR who advised that yes the bike is part of your 2 bag 40 kg allowance, however, panniers must be removed and packed in separate lager bags and these also form part of your allowance. So if your panniers fit into 2 larger bags then one of the bags will be outside your allowance and cost $25. Also all this has to be confirmed at the time of booking to ensure that space can be allocated for your gear.
I hope this info is useful to someone else.
Mulgabill

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Well that totally sucks!!!

My bike with panniers is one item, really quite managable in the luggage van. But removing the four panniers and rack bag will require a very large bag to stow them in - one that will be very unmanagable, and require storage at the destination; not likely. Why do transport operators persist in making multi-mode SUCH a damned chore. No wonder few people choose the train. Grrrrrr :x
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby FXST01 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:34 pm

I just checked out the cost from Adelaide to Perth, yikes and I haven't figured in the touring bike addon cost.

No wonder people fly.
FXST01

Postby Warin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:47 am

FXST01 wrote:I just checked out the cost from Adelaide to Perth, yikes and I haven't figured in the touring bike addon cost.

No wonder people fly.

And factor in the food + drink ...

The train line for most of the way is a single line that carries lots of freight .. so the line is a bit rough .. meaning you can have trouble sleeping due to carriage movement. Unless your a train person I'd fly, cheaper, more comfortable and faster.
Warin

Postby Mulgabill » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:28 am

il padrone wrote:Well that totally sucks!!!

My bike with panniers is one item, really quite managable in the luggage van. But removing the four panniers and rack bag will require a very large bag to stow them in - one that will be very unmanagable, and require storage at the destination; not likely. Why do transport operators persist in making multi-mode SUCH a damned chore. No wonder few people choose the train. Grrrrrr :x

I agree Peter!
It also makes you wonder about the accuracy of the info you receive from some CSR!! :( The first told me that the bike and all bags fitted within the 40kg allowance and when I asked if the bike had to be boxed I was told, "that is no longer required". :roll: I will check again if my plans come to fruition
Mulgabill

Postby Warin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:19 am

Mulgabill wrote:It also makes you wonder about the accuracy of the info you receive from some

Wonder what the officials actually on the train do? Think you'd want the information in writing .. with the person writing it title and contact details. They are not making it easy.
Warin

Postby Mulgabill » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Mmmm! maybe "this phone call is being recorded for future evidence in the event of a dispute with operational staff" I wonder if that would work???
Mulgabill

Postby Slammin Sammy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 pm

il padrone wrote:Why do transport operators persist in making multi-mode SUCH a damned chore. No wonder few people choose the train. Grrrrrr :x

My sentiments exactly Pete! I keep waiting in vain for the revelation in train marketing circles - "Hey, you know what? Cycle touring is booming globally. What if we made it really easy for cyclists to ride our railroad?" Perhaps a dedicated compartment or even a carraige equipped with tie-downs that will take fully-loaded bikes in reasonable numbers, with an easy roll-on/roll-off ramp? I'm quite prepared to pay appropriately for the service, and I'm sure the rail company would be well ahead.

In Europe, I took such a train from Vienna to Passau, and the bikes were kept secure by the most polite, caring, charming female train guard I could ever imagine! This was a regional train that didn't even need to promote itself, as the service was well used by travelers and commuters. From memory, in that case we paid €10 each for the bikes.

Wake up, Australian rail operators! This vast country makes combined cycling/rail holidays a compelling proposition.
Slammin Sammy

Postby Mulgabill » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Slammin Sammy for PM!! :D No, perhaps not, as nothing happens when once they get elected! :P :P

But you are right SS. Most oz service related businesses only pay lip service to customer needs. :x
Mulgabill

Postby bagelonabike » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Wow that's a shame on the extra cost. I took my bike on this train this time last year and road back to Melbourne with no fuss other than the bike needing to be booked, but not at an additional cost.

...Hey I know, just add a child seat ontop of your panniers and call it a Pram?

ITEM SECTOR COST
BICYCLE – PACKED $30.00
BICYCLE – UNPACKED $40.00
SURFBOARD* $40.00
SURF SKI* $40.00
CANOES* $40.00
BOOGIE BOARD $15.00
ESKY** $15.00
BOX *** $15.00
EXTRA LUGGAGE ITEM*** $15.00
GOLF CLUBS $15.00
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $15.00
TOOL BOX $15.00
PRAM NO CHARGE
BABY COT (PORTABLE) NO CHARGE
CHILD CAR SEAT NO CHARGE
bagelonabike

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:19 pm

bagelonabike wrote:Wow that's a shame on the extra cost. I took my bike on this train this time last year and road back to Melbourne with no fuss other than the bike needing to be booked, but not at an additional cost.

That is quite unusual...... maybe you just got lucky ???

For many years this service has been renowned for their astoundingly high charge for bicycle carriage. At $30-$40 in the past it has amounted to more than half a full adult fare. Probably less now with fare rises.
il padrone

Postby Mulgabill » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Yes! it has been some time ago but I have had to pay IIRC $30 for fully laden bike. I even wheeled it on myself and the staff dealt with it from there. No faffing around with weight limits, bookings etc. etc.
bagelonbike, as il padrone said maybe you just got lucky!!!
Mulgabill

Postby bagelonabike » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:17 am

Mulgabill wrote:bagelonbike, as il padrone said maybe you just got lucky!!!

Or I am just going senile? Now, where did I put my keys...
bagelonabike

Postby Mulgabill » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:22 am

:wink:
Mulgabill

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu May 15, 2014 5:29 pm

I travelled on the Overland on 3 May and at the luggage check in there was a young woman with a loaded tourer. She said she was a MBTC member (any ideas Pete?) and she had the deal whereby the unloaded bike was part of her 40kg allowance and she was going to take her four panniers as carry on luggage so no need to include in a large bag as Pete was told. We saw her in the buffet car and she did not mention any problems with that course of action so presumably she succeeded with that course of action.

Mike
Mike Ayling

Postby Mulgabill » Thu May 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks Mike! Yet another differing scenario. When the time comes for me to travel they probably will change policy again. :(
Mulgabill

Postby il padrone » Thu May 15, 2014 11:32 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:I travelled on the Overland on 3 May and at the luggage check in there was a young woman with a loaded tourer. She said she was a MBTC member (any ideas Pete?) and she had the deal whereby the unloaded bike was part of her 40kg allowance and she was going to take her four panniers as carry on luggage so no need to include in a large bag as Pete was told. We saw her in the buffet car and she did not mention any problems with that course of action so presumably she succeeded with that course of action.

That was Claire, heading off to ride the length of the Mawson Trail. She would very readily organise her bike's safe passage - she has a marvellous way to smoothly persuade people.

Caaire has a bit of a rep in our club..... for running gentle little 200km day rides in the mountains :P
il padrone

Return to Touring Australia