Advice for a 3-Week Solo Australian Bicycle Tour

hygmonster

Postby hygmonster » Mon May 19, 2014 2:28 am

Greetings BNA Cycling Community! I am planning a three-week, self-contained, solo bicycle trip in Australia (in July of this year) and am looking for some local, expert advice. I have done multi-week trips in Europe, the US, and Canada and am stoked to do the same in Australia. I fly in & out of Sydney, but am not locked-in to starting my ride from there and in fact, will not do a loop ride, meaning I will take a train back to Sydney regardless of the route I take. After much research & reading, the two routes I am considering are listed below:

#1 VIC/SA Coast:
Geelong to Millicent (Shorter to Portland or longer to Tailem Bend). Advantages: Consistently rated as a top 10 cycling tour on the planet: Great Ocean Road, moderate route, very scenic. Disadvantages: Requires long train ride (or one way car rental) to get to & from Sydney, reducing cycling days.
https://goo.gl/maps/szGu4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
References:
http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Gr ... es/Cycling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://traveldestinationbucketlist.com/ ... cean-road/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#2A East Coast NSW: Newcastle to Coffs Harbour (Longer: start in Gosford and end in Beenleigh). Advantages: Easy to get to start from Sydney, route is along scenic beaches & National Parks, close to Sydney-Brisbane rail line most of the journey, and good variety of accommodations (pubs, B&Bs, caravan campsites, etc.). Disadvantages: High traffic, some of route along the Pacific Highway.
https://goo.gl/maps/i4h8A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
References:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Br ... -Tour-2008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.peteandianhittheroad.co.uk/2 ... melbourne/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#2B: East Coast NSW Option 2: https://goo.gl/maps/1rARY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Forester NSW to Mundoolun QLD) Some of same coastline as above, but more remote and inland (less traffic) closer to Brisbane.

Any advice from cyclists who may have done routes similar to the above? In other words, anything from "This looks like a good plan because..." to "You are a complete idiot because..." As reference, I tend to do 40-80 miles per day, depending on conditions and terrain. I don't mind hills or unpaved roads, but tend to avoid fast/high traffic roads with no shoulders (i.e. I don't mind "cheating" to do shorter, spectacular rides vs. long slogs on busy roads). I plan on staying in hostels, pubs, etc., but will also be carrying camping gear.

My main priorities: Meet cool people, see cool things, take time to get to know the local culture & character of the place, and do it safely. I have done a good deal of internet research for this journey, as well as read Ian Duckworth’s “Cycling Australia” book, but have always benefitted greatly from local input when planning a cycling tour.

Thanks for any input you can provide! Cheers.

il padrone

Re: Advice for a 3-Week Solo Australian Bicycle Tour

Postby il padrone » Mon May 19, 2014 6:10 pm

July is definitely the wrong time to ride the Great Ocean Road to Millicent. Cold, stormy, and headwinds. Also there is no train to or from Millicent, so your transport hook-up will take extra time. I have ridden from Geelong, along the coast to Adelaide (and beyond) in April-May. We were a bit too late - the weather changed and we had headwinds for an eternity. July would be the same, just colder and wetter.

At that time of year I'd consider going as far north as you can for the best weather and scenery. Why not just fly up to Cairns and cycle to Cooktown, do the Barrier Reef, and maybe sample some of the inland by riding the Atherton Tablelands and even out to Undara Lava Tubes?

Of your options I'd probably go for the combination of 2A and 2B. It is quite possible to ride from Sydney to the Gold Coast area in three weeks. I have done this myself
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 19, 2014 6:46 pm

PM your email address and I'll send you a copy of the Melbourne - Gold Coast route.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

hygmonster

Postby hygmonster » Mon May 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks very much for the advice! My work (school teacher) dictates that I come in July, so I knew it would not be great weather. I do plenty of of winter riding, but it is admittedly not my favorite, unless the scenery makes up for it.

Per this and a couple other forums, I'm thinking the Newcastle towards Brisbane ride is my best option, although I am also considering il padrone's advice and starting further north to do the Queensland Coast instead - basically the same logistics as my original option 1, only pointed north instead of south - i.e. start ~Townsville and ride south, taking the train back to Sydney to fly out after the ~3 week ride.

My college roommate from years ago lives in Sydney, so that's why it is my "homebase." But I'm not locked-in to starting from there. I'm bringing my touring bike to Australia, so any prefered experience on getting me and it as far north as possible in a reasonable time and on a teacher's budget (train, one way car rental, domestic flight, etc.)? In other words, a Queensland ride would take me longer to get to & from, but would things like warmer weather and possibly better scenery make for a more enjoyable, albeit shorter ride?

Thanks for the help! Cheers!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon May 19, 2014 10:49 pm

hygmonster wrote:although I am also considering il padrone's advice and starting further north to do the Queensland Coast instead - basically the same logistics as my original option 1, only pointed north instead of south - i.e. start ~Townsville and ride south, taking the train back to Sydney to fly out after the ~3 week ride.
I'd hate for my suggestions to lead you into a storm, so it would be wise to scrutinise the Bureau of Meteorology wind roses for July.

Here is Townsville - 9am

and Townsville - 3pm

So watch out for those morning southerlies, and afternoon westerlies and north-westerlies. Cairns has mostly morning southerlies and afternoon south-easterlies. The general recommended route in the dry season is south-north.

I have not ridden the Qld coast south from Townsville (but have done it on a bus tour many years ago). My general impressions and recollections are that the northern NSW coast would be more attractive country, closer towns and better beaches.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

TCAT

Postby TCAT » Tue May 20, 2014 4:55 pm

I would be tempted to keep the ride to the north of Sydney. Just because the chance of wet & cold weather increases the further south you go at that time of the year.
If you could combine your options 2 and 3 that would make an excellent trip. The north east of NSW would be my pick of the best scenery and from Grafton north (via Summerland Way) would have less traffic. If you are into trains you could end the trip at Kyogle and catch the XPT back to Sydney or continue onto Brisbane (another 2 days ride) and catch either the train or fly. Or from Kyogle you could ride to the Gold Coast and pass through some excellent scenery and fly from there.
Flying will be cheaper than other forms of transport within Australia. Air and train will require your bike will need to be boxed up though. If catching a bus you don't need to box the bike up but it does cost more if left unboxed.

Enjoy your trip.

fh6162

Postby fh6162 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:38 pm

dont go the coast road...Sydney - Brisbane = boring... minor dirt roads are the go the ones between Pacific Hwy & New England Hwy....it will be hilly, colder & in some parts longer between services but alot quieter more scenic & safer...look on crazyguyonabike for ideas

hygmonster

Postby hygmonster » Tue May 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks all! This feedback is most helpful! Based on it, I have decided to do one of two options: either a Melbourne to Sydney route or the Sydney to Brisbane route. Assuming that I have and will bring good 4 season gear, thus making weather less of a deciding factor, which would you personally recommend? Again, my preferences are good scenery, cool things to see along the way, and not so much high speed traffic that it detracts from a safe & pleasant ride. Hills are fine (I live and train year-round in the Appalachian Mountains in the US) and occasional non-camping food & accommodations are a nice change of pace. Given my teaching salary, this may be the one time I can afford this journey for a while, so any help to nail down the best "bang for the buck" would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Ben

hygmonster

Postby hygmonster » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:09 am

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for the priceless input regarding my Australian cycle tour! I just returned from my trip and had a life-changing experience. Australia is an amazing place! Here's the blog I updated with the trip details and pics, in case anyone is interested: http://bicycletouringguides.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,

-Ben

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 am

Good to know your tour went well Ben. And it's always interesting to see your own country, the things you take for granted, through the eyes of a visitor.

I've experienced that sense of "anxious anticipation" you speak of - it's what makes a tour a real tour and not just a ride round your backyard. Touring solo is a liberating but sometimes daunting experience that requires you to engage much more with local people. After a while though you begin to relish the independence. It's definitely become my preferred touring mode.

Of course you've just seen a tiny part of a big land. You'll have to come again Ben. :)

Jennifar

Postby Jennifar » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:55 am

I haven't been here for almost 3 years but recently went for Australian bicycle Tour. It was really fun for me. I got the advise from Trip advisor and i am really impressed with their services.

UKJoe

Postby UKJoe » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi Jennifar

How did you get on with your solo ride? Which route did you end up taking? I am sort of thinking about a three or four week trip this September/October. I thought Brisbane to Melbourne, following the coastal roads, might be a good bet? I've done a fair bit of touring before but this will be my first visit to Australia so any hints and tips would be welcome.

Cheers

Joe

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:10 am

Joe, I suspect that post is a tout. PM me with your email address and I'll send you some information.