SYD-MEL

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

SYD-MEL

Postby mountain tamer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Hey everyone,

A group of mates and I are in the process of planning a trip form Sydney to Melbourne.

has anyone done this trip before? what route did you take?any advice?

cheers,

MT :)
mountain tamer

by BNA » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:59 pm

BNA

Postby mountain tamer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:59 pm

changed our minds,

we have been enlightened to the fact that the idea is stupid and dangerous for inexperienced riders. i think we were just caught up in a Tour De France frenzy.

new target,

Sydney to Woolongong(or similar) . maybe next year due to HSC exams

MT
mountain tamer

Postby timbo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Thinking about Sydney to Wollongong? Try www.gongride.org.au
timbo

Postby Caelum » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Where's your sense of adventure?!

I'm going to be doing a Perth > Brisbane as my first 'big' tour...

Syd > Mel is a walk in the park! :P :lol:
Caelum

Postby mountain tamer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Caelum wrote:Where's your sense of adventure?!

I'm going to be doing a Perth > Brisbane as my first 'big' tour...

Syd > Mel is a walk in the park! :P ::

lol

We are only 17 and think we are too young to die :D . If not due to our legs disintegrating into a blob of jelly, it would probably an 18 wheeler coming 120km/h round a blind corner!(Hume HWY)

none of us have never ridden on the road before and we thought it wise to take it one step at a time.

Have you organized the details of you trip yet? please fill us in,

MT
mountain tamer

Postby Caelum » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Haven't planned the smaller details... but i've worked out what i need, both from a biking point of view, and from a camping point of view.

This is where my scouting background comes out - been involved with them for the best part of 10+ years, involving some fairly isolated hikes.

My suggestion to you guys would be to pack yourself a tent(or two), enough food for two days, along with all the cooking gear, and bike spares you'll need(spokes, tubes, etc) and ride out bush one day, as far as you think you can comfortably ride day-in-day-out for a month or two. So probably between 75km and 150km, depending on terrain etc.

Find yourself somewhere to stay(maybe research this before hand on google maps, find a few 'possible' locations) and set yourself up camp.

Learn how to cook on your camp stoves, using food you'll be taking on the longer journey, and enjoy the night out bush.

Do this a few times, maybe even some 3-4 day trips, if you can make time, before your big journey to melbourne.

Do that, and you're certainly on your way to getting enough experience, both on the road, and camping. You'll learn thing you've never thought of(toilets? camp spots? food/water supplies?), and you'll find items you can leave at home, lightening your load(beer? :P).
Caelum

Postby banjo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:58 pm

Don't let people "enlighten" you too much. If you're reasonably fit and determined pick a destination and go. There's plenty of sites on the net with lists of what you need, and people to give you tips. This forum has a wealth of info.

Getting out there and tackling the day to day issues of touring is what its all about. If you can laugh when things go wrong and look at it all as an adventure you'll blaise trails.

I was 19 when I did my first big tour. Canberrra to Melbourne starting on a xmas day with 3 others. Don't remember all the details now but I have one photo of me on tour and I remember that it was an epic!

Remember, once you've completed your first day, you ARE experienced, you just have to build on it.

Safe Riding
banjo

Postby timbo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:39 am

Geez, at 17 we were out drinking (no I haven't been drinking Dad), planning our first car purchase and chasing girls, and you want to go out and do healthy stuff like ride bikes.

I don't know whats wrong with young people these days.
timbo

Postby mountain tamer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:54 am

maybe all that health education at school these days subconsciously works :?

we all love nothing more than getting out into the fresh air and feeling the burn :D
mountain tamer

Return to Touring Australia