Hervey Bay - Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - October 2008

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Hervey Bay - Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - October 2008

Postby phillipa47 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Anyone want to join me?

I'm a 30-something New Zealander moving from Bulgaria, it will only be my second tour and first in Australia, so am a tad inexperienced. Would be good to have a bit of knowledge and company along the way.
phillipa47

by BNA » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:54 pm

BNA

Postby banjo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:54 pm

phillipa, I'll be riding the opposite direction Melb - Syd -Bri at the same time. I start early Oct. What route are you taking? I'm still not locked in to anything at the moment but I'm keen to ride as close to the coast all the way, ie the Princes Hwy and or roads close to it.
banjo

Postby phillipa47 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Heh, I haven't quite got to the planning stage yet, I'm moving to Australia in Sept so I'll look into the detail when I get there.

I'm guessing it's not allowed to bike on the main motorways right? Coastal road sounds good, I have to reassure my Mum that whatever route I take won't be full of trucks going over the speed limit. Is that possible?

How about going the other way then?
phillipa47

Postby banjo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:41 pm

The coastal road I'm talking about is a highway and there will be traffic. I'll use smaller side roads where possible but as long as there are shoulders I'm not fussed. I've ridden a stretch from Lakes Entrance to Melbourne before and had no worries (except head winds!)

Trucks don't worry me too much. I keep an eye on my mirror and make allowances for them. The bigger worry is the quiet country roads where locals drive at rediculous speed because they "know" the roads.

I road for a short stretch on the Calder Highway in April on a tour and it was a shocker. No shoulders at all in many spots. Even then though my two near misses were simply losing concentration and drifting near the edge of the sealed road where it drops in to dirt.

I make sure I'm highly visible and I stay cautious. As far as going the other way I'm set on starting from Melb so I ride towards the warmth of QLD. I also have family and friends up there so I'll be spending some time with them at the end.

I found a good site on the net a few days ago called Mapmyrun. Seems perfect for what I need. Allows you to plot routes and print maps in terrain, street, topographic and elevation profile views. Might be worth a look when you start planning.

Stay in touch and let me know what you're going to do.
banjo

Return to Touring Australia