Great Central Road entry permit (WA)

Wolt

Great Central Road entry permit (WA)

Postby Wolt » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:26 am

Does anyone have recent experience with the entry permit to cycle the WA part of the great central road? From the website: "For visitor safety, persons travelling alone on bicycles or walking will not be issued a permit, unless they are accompanied by a support vehicle." I know it has been done before though, would like to know how people managed to get through.

Thanks in advance,

Wolt

Boombibit

Re: Great Central Road entry permit (WA)

Postby Boombibit » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:11 pm

I got a permit for the Great Central Road 1½ months ago for my trip next year. The permit is for me and my bicycle, there is/was no talk about a support vehicle or the likes at all. In my permit my bicycle is noted with brand and color, so no secret there.

If they changed the rules since, I guess I am VERY lucky to have purchased the permit one year in advance :-)

Warin

Postby Warin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 am

I've never seen/heard of anyone being asked for their permit. I think it is a way of throwing people who cause trouble off by simply using their lack of a pass as the means. So for the GCR I don't bother. For less well used tracks it checks that your not going to disturb any cultural event. Have said that some tracks are closed - e.g. Colson Track .. closed for decades due to vandalism of cultural features.

Might find that the permit requires support vehicle for 'high risk' activities (like walking and bicycling :evil: ) due to legalist perceived liability .. if they don't give a permit then they are less likely to be held liable in a court of law. I fail to see how the support vehicle will prevent an accident, just minimizes the trouble of 'rescue'.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:32 am

If you check ou the application page for the permit it says "Great Central Road - Laverton to NT border, less than 3 days crossing aboriginal land". Now if you can tell me that you will travel this road in less than 3 days (even with support) you are a super-athlete.

Same applied for the Mereenie Loop permit in NT, but we were not allowed to camp at all in the 200km route. Of course we did, for 3 nights. These rules and red tape are a mockery of common sense. I used to believe we lived in a free country.

BTW, aboriginal Australians can't go walkabout without a support vehicle :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: "D'you see the irony in that?"
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:01 am

Jeez...we truly are the "Nanny" country...

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:11 pm

I cycled the GCR this time last year. The permit for the Mereenie Loop I got from Glen Eagle but you also can get it in Alice Springs. No problems at all.

The NT side of the GCR is no problem to get the permit. For the WA side from the border to Laverton I got a permit for 20 days, all I had to do was sign a waver in case something happened to me so I could blame or sue them. Also you don't need any support vehicle.

For security I used the SPOT andeverybody back home could follow my progress.