Touring with a dog?

hangas7

Touring with a dog?

Postby hangas7 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:54 am

Hi, just looking at getting a Jack Russell dog to go touring with me. I plan on towing a BOB Ibex Trailer (for our stuff) and put my dog in a milk crate on a back rack or maybe even a front rack.

Does this sound alright?

Would like to hear from people who have toured with dogs. How did you do it etc. Photos would be great.

Cheers
The choices we make, not the chances we take, determine our destiny

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:08 pm

I had grand plans of touring with my dog too. He's a very chilled out little terrier. I bought a trailer for him to share with some gear. He hated it. Tried it twice and haven't put him back in it.

If you want to tour with a dog I'd suggest you make sure he gets used to the trailer or carrier from a young age. I'm sure there are heaps of others who have succeeded though and will give you tips.

Good luck.

Postman Pat

Re: Touring with a dog?

Postby Postman Pat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 pm

hangas7 wrote:Hi, just looking at getting a Jack Russell dog to go touring with me. I plan on towing a BOB Ibex Trailer (for our stuff) and put my dog in a milk crate on a back rack or maybe even a front rack.

Does this sound alright?

Would like to hear from people who have toured with dogs. How did you do it etc. Photos would be great.

Cheers
just a thought a mate had a dog on his single wheel trailer and every time the dog moved he wobbled all over the road he has since bought a dual wheel trailer to solve the problem.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Yes, check that the dog is happy with travelling on your bike first.

Maybe try a 'milk crate' storage box on the rear rack (if you have one) to carry him. Make sure his lead is secured. Take him for a short local ride first, then try a longer 1/2 day or day ride. As with kids, make sure there are some rewarding stops, snacks and play for him. If he enjoys this then things ar looking promising.

A friend of mine did take his dog (an elderly 3-legged Scottish terrier cross) on quite a few tours - day rides and some weekend trips. One memorable trip Roger brought Mactavish along on the Easter tour to Mitchell River. Surprised me, and had some difficulties, because the Mitchell River is a National Park. Dogs not allowed. We had to sweet talk some rangers at one stage :oops: .
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Frogz

Postby Frogz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi I carry my dog in a dog carrier on the back pannier. She travels well, I havn't done any touring with her but she is fine on day trips. For touring I would use a trailer as when my dog moves the bike wobbles. I would deffinately use a lead to secure your dog. I also have a backpack that she sits in for shorter ride. (She is a small dog Maltese X Mini foxy). Good luck.

hangas7

Postby hangas7 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:39 pm

I went looking at a few dog shelters today and nothing caught my eye. I'm beginning to think that maybe I will need to get a pup and train him right from the start. I was hoping to get an older dog so they were over the puppy stage and a bit more mature.

I think I will put him on the back in a milk crate. I will make him wear a dog harness to ensure he doesn't fall out.

I will also like to teach him to be able to travel in a backpack. As I travel a lot by bike/train and will need to hide him while on the train.

Will let you all know what I decide over the next couple of weeks and how it pans out.

Thanks for your ideas and keep them coming.

Cheers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 am

hangas7 wrote:I think I will put him on the back in a milk crate. I will make him wear a dog harness to ensure he doesn't fall out.
Actually I meant to say, do this as preparation to see if he's OK with it first, before buying a trailer. On a tour the BOB trailer is a better idea, keeps the dog's weight lower, allows you to carry your panniers and gear easier and easier to get him in and out.

My friend Roger was touring with Mactavish in a BOB. The dog really seemed to love it :lol:

Omigod! Just did a search, as I knew some trailer manufacturers mad basic trailers for pets. Burley in the US make this stunner for your prize pooch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by il padrone on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:08 am

I had a mate some years ago whose dog was trained to jump off and run up the hills, then jump back on and coast down the other side.

Do you reckon you could get a bigger dog and train him to carry your panniers up the hills for you? :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Wollemi

Postby Wollemi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:10 am

No, no, no, no, no, no... No!

I shall try to constrain myself here, but you must be reminded here that that dogs are illegal in National Parks. Surely you know that. Or are you like the other Sandgropers I saw at Dead Horse Gap (within the spectacular Kosciuszko NP) who opened the door to their towed caravan - and out leaped their pride and joy.

Noooo... Of course... Sorry. We never knew. We're from Western Australia. We didn't know it was illegal to bring a dog into New South Wales National Parks... We were just travelling through, down to Thredbo, then up to Canberra, like... It's very beautiful here... We've never seen snow before... I'd love to get a picture of our dog playing in it! It's OK if Fluffy has a little run around, isn't it? We'll be going soon...

And the time I copped yelling abuse from another bloke at Govett's Leap (an amazing lookout in the Blue Mountains National Park) when I dismissed his initial excuse for having a dog there as he was from West Australia, and didn't know local NSW rules. Even when only metres from BM NP HQ at the time!

Just where are you going to go touring? Home - cafe - home?
Home - Goldfields - wheatfields - coastal highway - home will probably take you through a National Park or three, even in Carpenterland.
Think side diversions to historic sites or picturesque waterfalls. Dogs are illegal in Australian National Parks, and National Parks are often a focus of interest for cycle tourists. Leave the dog at home after taking it for a walk in the morning. Please.
And, for the record, I do tend not to speak up in public about dogs anymore. They might well be from Western Australia.
Last edited by Wollemi on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:24 am

It's not such a disastrous idea really. Sure national parks are out of bounds, so he'll have to plan out his tours to avoid them. But there still is a whole load of beautiful scenic cycle touring to be done, travelling country roads in farming districts, visiting State Forests and crown land where dogs are quite legally allowed. My friend Roger took his dog on many tours away, visiting all sorts of places. He only made the national park mistake once I believe, and life was much less stressful for the dog when he was touring, as he was part of the pack with Roger.
Last edited by il padrone on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:28 pm

G'day

There is a blog on a guy who rode around the South Island on a Xtracycle with his dog. Google should turn it up.

Andrew

hangas7

Postby hangas7 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:49 pm

Wollemi

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:10 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, no, no, no, no, no... No!

I shall try to constrain myself here, but you must be reminded here that that dogs are illegal in National Parks. Surely you know that. Or are you like the other Sandgropers I saw at Dead Horse Gap (within the spectacular Kosciuszko NP) who opened the door to their towed caravan - and out leaped their pride and joy.

Ease up Wollemi, I didn't say anything about taking my dog into national parks and have no plans to.

I plan on doing a few 2-3day tours locally just testing out my gear and training up my dog. My main aim is to ride from Perth to Horsham (in Victoria) mid to late next year when i'm in between jobs.

I adopted a 2 year old Jack Russell from the pound a week ago and he is going really well. He is toilet trained, doesn't bark or nip and seems to be learning quickly. I haven't tried training him to go on the bike yet, as i'm still getting used to him (and vice versa).

I named him Cadel :D

I think i will get Cadel on the bike in a couple of months.

Cheers

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Wollemi wrote:No, no, no, no, no, no... No!
Mate, they were spinnin shite! There are no NPs here in WA where dogs can be legally taken - they were just too lazy to book their dog into a kennel for the day and didn't think anyone would confront them about it. You did the right thing - dogs and NPs don't go together.

However, hangas never claimed he was going to tour in NPs with his dog, so "heel boy". :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....