Has anyone riden the Dargo High Plains rd?

thecaptn

Has anyone riden the Dargo High Plains rd?

Postby thecaptn » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone riden the Dargo High Plains rd from Dargo to the Great Alpine Rd?

What is the road like, is it really steep?

What's the country like, is it nice or rough?

Are there any decent camp grounds and water sources along the way?

Also does anyone know of a track which links the Great Alpine rd with the Bogong High Plains rd? A fellow cyclist I met in Omeo mentioned a well maintained track which linked the two above snow line, either I can't locate it on a map or I misheard him.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Warin

Re: Has anyone riden the Dargo High Plains rd?

Postby Warin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:03 am

thecaptn wrote:Hi All,

Has anyone riden the Dargo High Plains rd from Dargo to the Great Alpine Rd?

What is the road like, is it really steep?
Define 'really steep'? The main rise is from Dargo up to the ridge. A few ups and downs along it too. Use google to get yourself a profile. Dirt along the top. Tar out of Dargo at the start .. gets you part way up.
thecaptn wrote:What's the country like, is it nice or rough?

Are there any decent camp grounds and water sources along the way?
I like it. But I like it 'natural'. Camping .. well your along a ridge line .. can be done - best off the side where the winds won't harass you so much. There are a number of side tracks and some picnic tables too. Water? No - ridge line .. you 'll need to go off to the side to find water .. some places it is a long way down for it.
thecaptn wrote:Also does anyone know of a track which links the Great Alpine rd with the Bogong High Plains rd? A fellow cyclist I met in Omeo mentioned a well maintained track which linked the two above snow line, either I can't locate it on a map or I misheard him.
There are a number of tracks .. Hotham to Anglers Rest? You'll need a good map. 'Well maintained'? Ummm suitable for 4WD? 8)

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Doesn't sound too bad :D

It's about 70km from Dargo to the Great Alpine Rd and starts at about 200m rises to about 1400m and then runs along the ridge as you say.

I was hoping to go from Hotham-Dinner Plain to near Falls Creek but it looks like Mt Beauty or Anglers Rest are my options.

Thanks for the reply Warin, my plan needs a bit more work.

Pete

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:41 pm

Ridden that road twice both times in early November 8 years apart. First time was warm in ideal conditions so you could enjoy the peaceful surrounds and views and the second time it was raining hard and getting very cold, almost snowing and with deep mud closer to Dargo. My disc brake pads on the mtb were gone by the end.
We rode north to south on these occasions from Dinner Plain to Dargo and you are losing altitude all the way which is always my preferred route. The race from Stratford to Dargo finishes on the very steep climb out of Dargo and is rated as tougher than Baw Baw. Didn't camp on the high plains, choosing to stay at the Dargo pub.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Thanks Uncle Just,

sounds like good advice. There's plenty of tracks heading up to places like Porapunkah or Myrtleford which could be better ways to get across the divide and then come back through Dargo. I've found the newer version of BikeMap has more acurate topography than it used to so I'll do my best to plan a route for easier climbing.

Pete

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:00 am

This is a real ancient thread resurrection, I know. but just came across this discussion. We rode the Dargo High Plains Rd for the first time about three years ago. We rode North to South, and it had some steep climbs to get to the high plains, then a long plain section, with some steepish undulations closer to Grant. After Grant the descent to Dargo (now sealed) was one of the steepest, most radical descents that I have done in a very long time. Sustained steep grades, generally at greater than 10% and up to 20%. On the brakes hard most of the way down. I would not like to try to climb this, though at least now it is sealed on the steep grade.

BTW, there are no practicable crossings of the divide west of the Dargo High Plains, until you get to the route near Mt Stirling and the Cobbler Plateau. This would involve crossing the actual Great Dividing Range at Matlock or over Mt Skene.