Hobart

STC

Hobart

Postby STC » Sun May 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi,

I'm planning a short trip from Launceston down to Hobart. Last day will be coming through Richmond and heading for Constitution Docks/Salamanca area.
Just wondering what is the best way to ride into Hobart central as there appears 2 options of bridge crossings at Montagu Bay and Risdon.
Not looking to necessarily get a shorter route, just ease of riding and sight seeing.

Thanks

RonK

Hobart

Postby RonK » Sun May 03, 2015 7:50 pm

My choice would be to ride over Grasstree Hill, which brings you down to Risdon and cross there on a flat and fairly lightly trafficked Bowen Bridge, then join the intercity bikeway at Elwick.
The Tasman Bridge is steep and the bike path is very narrow.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rangersac

Re: Hobart

Postby rangersac » Mon May 04, 2015 10:22 am

What Ron said. From the Bowen Bridge there's a fairly straightforward back route through Goodwood to meet up with the bikeway if you do a bit of map studying.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 04, 2015 12:16 pm

Yes, I would continue along Goodwood Road to the Brooker Hwy, and at the traffic lights turn right then almost immediately left onto Elwick Road. You will find the bikeway on the left a short distance along Elwick, it will take you all the way to Salamanca Place.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Mon May 04, 2015 1:50 pm

My group's usual route is to turn on to Howard Rd after coming off bridge, and continue through Howard Rd/Gepp Parade until you get to the Derwent Park Rd intersection, then go along Derwent Park Rd to Sunderland St and get off the bike track from there. Probably slightly more complicated for someone from out of town though.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon May 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Just had a look at that route 2 wheels and noticed the bike path takes you into the city passing McVilly Drive. Do you know if that street is named after the late great Graham McVilly?

RonK

Hobart

Postby RonK » Mon May 04, 2015 4:21 pm

That area of the Derwent is known as the Regatta Grounds and I suspect the access road is named for Cecil McVilly, a champion sculler who competed in the 1912 Olympics.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon May 04, 2015 5:08 pm

...brother of the famous Billy McVilly. [emoji52]
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

STC

Postby STC » Mon May 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. Over the Bowen Bridge it is.

Sounds like there are some locals here so I might just run one other concern I have. We are coming down from Staverton thru Deloraine, Longford to Campbell Town all via relatively quite looking roads. There is one stretch between Campbell Town to Oatlands which has no other alternative but the Midland Hwy - it looks like a 60km stretch. My research suggests it will be busy but not unmanageable so we were just going to put our head downs and ride for this stretch (stopping at Ross & Oatlands) - unless the locals suggest don't do it !!

We had decided on that route due to some time restrictions and our preference to see some of the historical villages rather than "east coast" experience.

Thanks

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon May 04, 2015 8:51 pm

If you are coming from Longford and Cressy I presume you'll be heading for Campbell Town down the C522. If so I wouldn't bother turning off to get into Campbell town, and instead continue down Ashby Rd which practically spits you out in Ross. Campbell Town is nothing special in my book, Ross is far more picturesque and has a good bakery for hungry cyclists, plus you skip a bit of the Midland Hwy by doing this. However from Ross to Oatlands you'll have to do the hwy. It'll be busy, although if you avoid peak times it should be quieter, and you'll have a good shoulder for at least most of it to get out of the traffic.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket