Bathurst-Goulburn

schroeds

Bathurst-Goulburn

Postby schroeds » Mon May 11, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm looking at a one way ride (roadies) involving train to/from either Bathurst or Goulburn.

Options are 2 days via Abercrombie caves which would make a good spot for an overnight stop. Or else 3 days (from N to S) Blayne, Cowra, Boorowa, across to Crockwell and down.

Wondering if anybody knows either route, I believe there may be 10km of easy grit unsealed around Abercrombie?

We'd ride on the weeeknd...hoping traffic would be light? (we'd avoid any public hols weekends).

Any info appreciated, cheers
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

schroeds

Re: Bathurst-Goulburn

Postby schroeds » Tue May 12, 2015 8:39 pm

bump

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 12, 2015 8:54 pm

I would love to help schroeds, but it is too long since I was out that way. I thought all of the Goulburn - Oberon Rd was now sealed, but could be mistaken.

Perhaps if I said something deliberately stupid, others will jump in to correct me :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Tue May 12, 2015 9:22 pm

That often works. ..haha

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed May 13, 2015 5:28 pm

A good ride both options. Can be a bit tough in and around Trunkey Creek but well worth it.
Camping at Abercrombie River can be pretty bloody cold so bring the warm stuff. I think the train to Bathurst is back up and running but only once a day in and and once a day out? If not a start at Lithgow to Abercrombie River via Oberon is doable
If me would be going a wide a tyre as you can fit just in case it is wet. If dry you will be fine on the width you normally ride.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed May 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi Baabaa, thanks for this...Yes having ridden around Blayney I've leaned this is definitely a Summer trip!

The Bathurst train is every two hours :)

Your comment about tyres in the wet indicates some dirt?

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed May 13, 2015 6:44 pm

Hmm I would double check that again before you go as I think it it is train to Lithgow then Lithgow to Bathurst by coach? Would work if the bus will take your bikes.
re dirt well was the last time I rode it but pretty sure that it has sealed it ? Anyway it was good dirt, not pea gravel or sharp gravel but a few corrugations around the bends but well formed by a grader. Not that much truck traffic nowadays so it avoids getting cut up in the wet

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed May 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks appreciate the info

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sat May 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Schroeds, G'day Mate. If you haven't seen these reports? ... please enjoy the read.

Both Vintage Tourer aka Graham Smith and I have toured sections (interdependently) in the region during the last two years, that you're intending to ride.

Graham rode from 'Goulburn to Katoomba' ... and you can find his excellent report on Crazyguy' ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=k ... 11918&v=7g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Fuller and his young bloke rode from Goulburn to Crookwell on the Grabben Gullen Road and then returned to Goulburn via Roslyn and the Middle Arm Road ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=k ... 13349&v=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter Webber and his nearest and dearest on their epic tour, visited the Abercrombie Caves ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=k ... 12139&v=Gi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In June 2013 I intended to ride on the Great Dividing Range from Cullarin, just west of Goulburn (starting out from Canberra) to as far north as I could make in a month. I expected heavier than normal rainfall, following the BOMs long term forecasts but not even the BOM predicted so much rain. Of the 30 days when I was away it rained for all bar four days. On two of the dry days, mid tour, it was wind storming. It also rained for several hours on most nights as well and when the rain stopped, everything turned to ice. Until it started raining again.

Camped beside the Wiaborough at Hogans Flat. I spent a couple of days here. This is where I made a big mistake ... I should have crossed the Wiaborough and then set up camp. I'm just a sucker for soft grass.

One of the things that I catered for on that trip was knowing that when the many low level crossings over the rivers and creeks like the Abercrombie, Wiaborough, Kialla and the Tarlo flood, if between any of the low level crossings, one is not going anywhere, until the water levels drop. I was equipped to sit out extended periods. I had no need to resupply. I did make it to Hogans Flat relatively quickly between the showers, then both the Wiaborough the Abercrombie flooded ... twice. When the Wiaborough flooded, I headed back to Taralga to sit it out and dry out. Then when the all clear was given for the Wiaborough, I rode back to cross the Wiaborough and it flooded again.

The innocuous looking Wiaborough crossing on the Jerrong Road.

Here are some of the tarmac roads, that my pannier-pig enjoyed when the sun was sort of shining. The traffic was light in the Upper Lachlan Shire, even on the Taralga to Oberon road. There was one tarmac road that I would't recommend, the Range Road from Grabben Gullen to Goulburn. I did a small section between Bannister Lane and Kialla Road. Too many heavy trucks and earth moving equipment ... and no shoulders.

Rosalyn Road. Wombats wearing gas masks?

Woodhouselee Road. Wombats with acne?

The Taralga Oberon Road. Here I turned off to head for Jerrong Road and The Great Dividing Range Fire Trail ... and the infamous Wiaborough.

The camping facilities at the Crookwell and Taralga Showgrounds were excellent. They were good places to hide from the rain and recharge the electronics quickly. My solar chargers don't like heavy overcast.

Another view from the Crookwell Showground. I was somewhat envious of the winter comfort some were enjoying.

Taralga Showground.

If you do want to include a bit of dirt, Schroeds here is the perfect opportunity to move over to the dark side. The Mount Rae Road and Middle Arm Road are First Class. Mount Rae Road and landscape couldn't be more beautiful. Jerrong Road, has a few wild spots, so I second baabaa's recommendation for fitting wider tyres. The dirt roads are the highlights in the Lachlan and Upper Lachlan Shires.

Mount Rae Road has good spots to camp beside the road. Water is limited unless you ask at a farm gate or stock up.

Middle Arm Road.

Mount Rae Road links to Middle Arm Road via Carrabungla Road.

Jerrong Road. 90% of the Kangaroos in NSW, live beside and on Jerrong Road.

When the Abercrombie flooded, and stayed flooded, the tarmac options heading North closed as well. So, I made the most of enjoying the landscape.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Mon May 18, 2015 11:13 am

WOW!!! What extraordinary photos. And so much info, thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to sit down with a coffee and some maps and go through all this. One thing you have done is confirmed my impression that this is some wonderful country, and Winter there is pretty full on!

avolve

Postby avolve » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:46 pm

I am looking at train to Lithgow, off-pavement riding/the Bicentennial National Trail to Goulburn, then train back towards Sydney (or could do in reverse)

I will be doing this on a Pug Ops (fat bike), so taking it a little slow (MTB pilfered). I am thinking three days, and not sure if this will give me enough time to enjoy being on the trail?? Three days is to accomodate work, and could be extended to four.

My initial plans were for a light weight overnight bike packing trip, and it seems this is the most accessible ride with public transport to/from the trailheads (From the Wollongong area) that is away from roads.

WarrenH any more details on your experience around this route greatly appreciated. I am thinking a weekend in November.

[Apologies for thread jacking]

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:49 pm

avolve, G'day.

I am looking at train to Lithgow, off-pavement riding/the Bicentennial National Trail to Goulburn, then train back towards Sydney (or could do in reverse).

Have you decided where you will join the BNT after Lithgow and then where you'll leave the BNT to head towards Goulburn? Knowing these two points, if you haven't decided already, will determine if it is possible to reach Goulburn in two days on the BNT. For example, staying stricktly to the BNT, if you join the BNT from the Great Western Highway, 4 kilometres North of Rydal and excited at Taralga, that's 141 kilometrers of BNT, plus Lithgow Station to the BNT is 15 klicks and leaving the BNT at Taralga then to Goulburn is another 45 klicks ... about 200 klicks. 86 klicks will be on tarmac. If you join the BNT South of Rydal from the Magpie Hollow Road, that saves 21 klicks.

If you do allow the extra time, stay on the BNT from Taralga, take the Taralga Laggan Road towards Crookwell (13 klicks of tarmac to Mount Rae Road) and then follow the Mount Rae Road to Carrabungla Road (turn South) to Middle Arm Road and follow Middle Arm to Goulburn. From Mount Werong, and before, if you're not boiling water or filtering water, which rules out the creeks because of stock grazing, Taralga is the next water ... unless you ask at farm gates.

Don't get confused at the turnoff at Mount Werong heading to Mount Chalker (Book#10 Map#3), to join The Great Range Fire Trail (now known as The Range Fire Trail) ... otherwise you might end up in beautiful Yerranderie ... with the ghosts.

Also, have you checked the BNT site to see if there are any recent changes to the route in Guide Books 9 and 10? When going through the State Forests of Hampton, Jenolan and Gurlang, sometimes the route changes when coupes on the route are being logged.

I haven't had a chance to look for changes to the route yet. I've recently returned home after visiting a few not rideable and rideable sections of the BNT in Northern NSW and SE Qld. I'll post shots on the BNT thread ... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

avolve

Postby avolve » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:04 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have quite a bit more planning to do (looking at Late November) and will have to check my BNT guidebooks to see which version they are, and any updates I need (I think they are maybe 5-6 years old). Also have to renew my lapsed membership.

Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and quite stunning pics