Snowy Mountains in winter

Platythere

Snowy Mountains in winter

Postby Platythere » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi All,

Hope this has not been addressed before or at least to recently. I have searched a bit, not much luck.

A friend and I are planning on tackling this trip end of August, beginning of September. We are intending to do the original route. that is "northwest via the isolated Goat Ridge Road" rather than through Jindabyne.

http://cycletraveller.com.au/australia/ ... ring-route" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are not (to) concerned about the cold, but we are unsure of whether there will be snow on these roads and if that is prohibitive to cycling. Like do Goat Ridege Rd, The Link Rd etc have much in the way of shoulders, and if there is snow does it cover the shoulder?

This is the section of road I am concerned about, for clarification.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Adam ... !3e0?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks in advance!

il padrone

Re: Snowy Mountains in winter

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Cabramurra in winter can look like this

August is still winter.

Cabramurra is at an altitude of 1448m. The other alternate route is over Dead Horse Gap, which is at about 1570m. Either route will have the chance of heavy snowfall through winter and even into September. Not guaranteed, just a likelihood.

I would revisit the timing of the tour, or look at another route choice. Jindabyne down the Barry Way to Buchan and Gippsland is another option.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Looks like a good route. Maybe you could come up with a plan B which could avoid any potential snow and then play it by ear. You could be lucky with the weather.

Platythere

Postby Platythere » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Cabramurra is at an altitude of 1448m. The other alternate route is over Dead Horse Gap, which is at about 1570m. Either route will have the chance of heavy snowfall through winter and even into September. Not guaranteed, just a likelihood.

I would revisit the timing of the tour, or look at another route choice. Jindabyne down the Barry Way to Buchan and Gippsland is another option.
This is good advice. Good good advice. Building on the suggestion of heading down Barry way I have put this together.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Myrt ... !3e1?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having no experience with this part of the world personally, What do y'all think? Is this realistic for 5 days ridding?

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:00 pm

I'd say you have a very high likelihood of encountering snow and ice on the Barry Way at that time of the year and it is often closed to traffic for extended periods. There was snow and ice on it a few days ago apparently. It's been an early snow season, with heavy falls down to 1,000m last week. I know because I felt it :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Would be a tough 5 days but doable. I think it's a great plan, give it a go.

Platythere

Postby Platythere » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:02 pm

silentC wrote:I'd say you have a very high likelihood of encountering snow and ice on the Barry Way at that time of the year and it is often closed to traffic for extended periods. There was snow and ice on it a few days ago apparently. It's been an early snow season, with heavy falls down to 1,000m last week. I know because I felt it :)
Whats the traffic like on the Barry way? We can live with some snow and ice for a day or two, but not if its combined with much traffic.

As for closed roads I have spoke to a few cyclists who basically take them to mean "dedicated bike path". Anyone have positive or negative experiences of this kind of approach?

Thanks for all the input everybody!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:47 pm

The Barry Way is generally a pretty quiet road in summer (maybe 5-8 cars per hour in daytime I'd guess) and I doubt that winter traffic would be any higher as people going to the snow will take sealed road routes by preference mostly.

The highest point at Ingebyra is about 1100m I think, so a good bit lower than the alternatives (1450, and 1570m). You could well get snow, but it will be lighter and less prolonged than on the higher roads. Winter snowfall mostly comes in from the NW and W. From these directions the Snowy River gorge is in a rainshadow. Ride it and you'll see - the vegetation is much drier, white cypress pine rather than moist rainforest.

Your route is a very achievable 5 day ride, for a fit cyclist on a loaded touring bike.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Aww, what's a bit of snow?

I like the ride Mirjam has been recently doing, most people think this is rugged enough in mid summer.

http://cyclingdutchgirl.com/2015/04/24/ ... -delights/

Check out her little movie called "Snow" near the bottom of the page to see what bike touring could really be all about.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:18 pm

GJ_Coop wrote:Aww, what's a bit of snow?

I like the ride Mirjam has been recently doing, most people think this is rugged enough in mid summer.

http://cyclingdutchgirl.com/2015/04/24/ ... -delights/

Check out her little movie called "Snow" near the bottom of the page to see what bike touring could really be all about.
Thanks for that now I feel like a real sook :roll: