South Gippsland Delight

il padrone

South Gippsland Delight

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Last April I did a five-day Strzelecki Wander, exploring a selection of backroads in the hill-country and climbing the ranges three times. It was a delightful series of days riding with excellent quiet roads and a few interesting discoveries.

This was the route that I took.

I began off the train at Moe, had lunch there before riding through the Haunted Hills, then cut across to Yinnar.

Yinnar Railway Station Reserve

Then I rode on to Boolarra

The Old Pub

The operating pub will allow cyclists and travellers to camp on their tree-shaded grounds.

I headed up the Morwell River Road

For the first night's camp I ended up playing the 'troll under the bridge' as I had passed a number of camping sites but they were all taken by groups, and then there was a long stretch with no sites and steep valley sides.

Next morning I was disturbed on my constitutional by a logging crew dropping in.

The valley ride in the morning was gorgeous

Up on the Grand Ridge Road I turned off down the Gunyah-Toora Rd

and took in the view from Mt Fatigue

That night was a very quiet camp at Dingo Dell

Morning sun

I met a few of the locals

Checked out the view back down towards my camp

Then after a big climb back to the Grand Ridge, headed off down the Albert River Rd

Soon I dropped in at Hiawatha

At the Falls of Minnie Ha Ha, I had a long chat and lunch with a local couple from McLaughlins Beach over past Yarram who were in charge of looking after the Falls Reserve. They told me a bit about the users of the reserve and its significant popularity on long weekends.

Then I rode out through Jacks River to Yarram and had a caravan park campsite

Main street Yaram on a wet morning

The courthouse (now the tourist info centre) was very attractve

I continued out to a lunch-stop at Devon North by the hall.

Next stretch was the delightful ride up Tarra Valley, which I had not ridden for over 20 years. You forget how lovely some roads can be.

At the Tarra Valley Caravan Park I got a coffee then asked about a campsite. I was stunned to find they were fully booked - not even space for my one small tent (Thurs before Easter :( ) It was still early, so I decided to make for Balook, another 20kms up the range. Along the way I stopped in at the National Park, which was deserted, and was the sole walker on the trail to the Tarra Falls.

Climbing to the Grand Ridge again was a fern-lined delight

Then at the ridge I was riding through the dead stags left from Black Saturday

At Balook it was now late, getting cold, and I hunted around for the old Balook school site. I found it but was quite surprised by what was there.

I needed water and was looking for a tap or tank. Down the slope was a toilet block.... then I saw a hot-water unit :o Inside were showers (not working, no water in the tank). Back at the school building I found a HUGE tank, but no tap. The taps were in the building. I really did not have quite enough water, and I found a widow un-latched. Pushed it up. And climbed in and filled up the water bucket, then realised it was warmer in here. So I ate dinner and spent the evening inside

But it was like an armageddon movie. This was an abandoned school camp. It was used right through from the late 70s until 2009. There was still plenty of food in the pantry, but all use-by-dates of 2009. The Black Saturday fires had stalled the camp, and destroyed the dormitory blocks. Then the food handling, fire protection, and other OHS regulations made the whole school camp idea just too difficult. A colleague of mine it turns out was the Outdoor Ed Coordinator for much of this time for the school that ran the camp.

The other option if you plan to stay at Balook is to drop in at the Tarra-Bulga Guesthouse. The people who run it are a lovely Danish couple. They have rooms available, but also have a very nice grassed area out the back
Last edited by il padrone on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Espresso_

Re: South Gippsland Delight

Postby Espresso_ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Great route and great documentation.

Thanks for posting.

E

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks IP.
Transplanting my reply in the Great Southern Rail Trail thread to here.
Great set of photos. Not enough time right now to absorb the whole lot including the commentary.
This has definitely cemented my thoughts on touring through the Strzeleckis as soon as possible.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Great photos padre and even one of you!!!

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks for the enjoyable post. It looks like a great route. The tree fern prop is well placed.

If you have been wondering what the crayfish is? It is a South Gippsland Spiny Crayfish, Euastacus neodiversus.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Bewdiful country...thanks for a great post! Felt like i was back there reading and seeing your ride blog...

I'll add to the ID's - the little green tubular flower you photographed is Fieldia australis - its not all that common...it typically grows on the trunks of tree ferns and is pretty much restricted in Victoria to areas of cool temperate rainforests hence its rarity...its actually in the same family as African Violets...those things our mums (and dads) used to have growing in their bathrooms...

Perhaps we should call it the South Gippsland Tree-fern Violet...works for me!

Thanks again for the post...great trip & beautifully captured!

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Beautiful country out there Pete and excellent pictures.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Lots of memories from my childhood in that trip.

Cheers.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Great trip report IP, and fantastic pics. :) I had never seen this thread.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:11 pm

I really enjoy these short 3-5 day tours... :D

Further to IP's earlier all-camping effort last autumn, here's a report on our recent 3 day CCTour in the Strzelecki Ranges. Unfortunately rain nobbled our plan for day 4, but we'll do that soon. ;)

http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/2015/ ... r.html?m=1

...and the route...
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/930305639

There's no doubt that this Sth Gippy region is a great touring area with good rail links from Melbourne making access really easy to a number of start/finish points.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:53 am

WarrenH wrote:Thanks for the enjoyable post. It looks like a great route. The tree fern prop is well placed.

If you have been wondering what the crayfish is? It is a South Gippsland Spiny Crayfish, Euastacus neodiversus.

Warren.
What?
No recipe Wazza? :P
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:02 am

This was the route I rode across the Strzelecki Ranges.

http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3100918 ... ki-wander/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:39 pm

Just saw this thread and loved it. Looks like a great route. A little bit unsure as to who was dropping logs in your first comment but some lovely photos there.