Ultralight Bicyle Touring

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:53 pm

G'day all
Just wonder if anyone has had any experience with ultralight Bicyle touring, which as the name suggest takes a road bike and ( load )it very lightly with the barest of necesity for say overnight , weekends or even long long hauls of touring. If so what was it like?
Just asking as i stumbled across an interesting blog thats got me a little intrested.

http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:02 pm

I've done 3days/2nights on a road bike with just a small backpack, staying in pubs or YHAs. Any longer and I take a small rear rack bag as well.

If weather looks dodgy I may need some extra gear but no camping for me, so lightweight is the way to go.

My touring bike is a CX bike which runs 35 tyres as standard but I have done road tours on 25s.. Standard bike weight is 9.3kg.
Last edited by cyclotaur on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

cranky-1

Re: Ultralight Bicyle Touring

Postby cranky-1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Yep see that's what i was meaning. Bloody great blog you have there mate, have put it on the favourites so i can read through a little later. have to say that is great site and well done.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:58 pm

I'm also new to this touring caper. Closest I've done was a 4 day credit card tour with some mates from Lilydale to Wangaratta on my CX bike last year.

http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au/201 ... r-nov.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:24 pm

dalai47 wrote:I'm also new to this touring caper. Closest I've done was a 4 day credit card tour with some mates from Lilydale to Wangaratta on my CX bike last year.

http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au/201 ... r-nov.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Geez
There is some beautiful surroundings there with very lovely bush lands. it shows how lucky we are in this country to have all that on our doorstep. All this came about as i was investagating tyres for gravel trail, rough roadsides, and general trail riding with a bike i noticed was much like one i have. So tried a 28c tyre i had laying around and whamo ,it runs pretty well over bike paths gravel or pathed. :D Of corse i did post about bike packing with bags on the mountain bike at some stage but dosn't seem to matter which way you go i suppose, just being out and about on a tour seems the life alright. :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Nancy has done a heap of road bike touring - weeks in Europe, Canada, and UK, with less on her bike than I'd take on a typical day ride. She does stay in hotels, B&Bs, Warmshowers, and hostels. Not a camping tourer AFAIK.

Last edited by il padrone on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:15 pm

Try 32mm tyres if you can fit them. You'll roll much better on gravel.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:54 am

il padrone wrote:Try 32mm tyres if you can fit them. You'll roll much better on gravel.
Thanks for the tips mate, yeah i was told i would only be able to fit a 28c in that frame as rear brake holder fo calliper would rub :?: Anyway i fitted the 28c i had and it didnt look like there was going to be much more room for a larger tyre? Anyway if there is any Resonable priced touring STYLE tyre anyone can recomend i would be most thankful as i am looking at a lot more gravel and path runs on the old cheap roadie.