Lightweight, Credit Card Touring From Melbourne

lrzewnicki

Lightweight, Credit Card Touring From Melbourne

Postby lrzewnicki » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:24 am

Hello everyone,

I was recently introduced to this forum by a friend out of Brisbane. I've done a bit of research and digging, but this is an impromptu trip so I thought I'd go right to the experts and source. This is my first time in Australia and I'm heading to Melbourne next week, December 2015, for around three months give or take. While I may head to New Zealand for a bit, my plan is to bike and see as much as possible while down there. A little about me, I was an avid cyclist in my former life (I've since become a traveler and haven't always brought my bike with me) and have done a number of multi-day tours across Europe; Spain, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Slovenia and Italy. These ranged from 4-12 days all with a lightweight rig or "bikepacking" as we like to call it.

My rig is a carbon fiber road bike, out fitted very lightly with minimal gear. I have 25mm tires, so I need to stay on tarmac with some minimal gravel if necessary. I'd like to keep it around 50-75 miles a day and am happy to climb if needed. I plan to credit card camp along the way as I don't plan on having any camping gear at this time. So, I'll need to be hitting places with hotels/hostels/places to stay along the way. Nothing too remote.

I'll be flying into Melbourne and would like to head out just before Christmas after getting my legs back with a week of cycling around Melbourne. I'm open on route, but have heard the coastal route to Adelaide is nice and I'm also interested in heading to Sydney. I'm looking for recommendations and even routes for either of these two options. I usually use Strava Heatmaps while touring, but between these cities there isn't much data listed. I am also looking to hit the best route for weather/wind conditions, road conditions, and things to see along the way. Open to taking down days as I don't have a fixed schedule at this point.

Would appreciate recommendations on the above and any answers to the below questions:

-Is the coastal route to Sydney an option?
-Is the best way to return to Melbourne via air/train/bus?
-What is the best pre-paid phone service to get for touring around Australia? Need phone and data.
-Anyone interested in joining?

Cheers,
Luke Rzewnicki

cyclotaur

Re: Lightweight, Credit Card Touring From Melbourne

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Here's a few suggestions, some are rougher than others (eg. Woods Point !) but there are plenty of options.

http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/searc ... cleTouring
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:50 pm

My suggestion would be to spend a month doing a lap of Tasmania, then head to NZ. You could comfortably do a top to bottom ride in two months.

Summer temps in Victoria and SA will not make for a pleasant tour.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:10 pm

G'day and welcome.
lrzewnicki wrote:-Is the coastal route to Sydney an option?
From Orbost inwards and for most of the NSW south coast you really don't get too much of an alternative to the Princes/Pacific Hwy. This is OK to ride, but probly not so pleasant. The Mallacoota-Eden section is quite hilly with only average scenery to compensate.

In my opinion the coastline west along the great Ocean Road to Warrnambool and even to Mt Gambier is a nicer route to tour. Longer distances and flatter roads in SA.

RonK's comments about the heat in summer are quite valid. Tasmania is really very nice - much less chance of summer heat waves, but you may get snow :P
lrzewnicki wrote:-Is the best way to return to Melbourne via air/train/bus?
There are some quite good inland routes if you want to ride it. For transport I'd take the bus or a day train service (overnight on the train can be a bit gruelling).
lrzewnicki wrote:--What is the best pre-paid phone service to get for touring around Australia? Need phone and data.
Telstra is the only one I'd recommend if you want coverage outside the major cities and main highway routes.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

lrzewnicki

Postby lrzewnicki » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone!

cyclotaur - thanks for the link. I'm looking to do more then 3 day tours, but I will check this out if I have some time in Melbourne to explore first.

RonK - good suggestions, my only questions about Tas are:
-Is there a good route to do as a loop?
-Is it possible to do this credit card camping? Seems pretty remote to me in areas and I don't plan to have camping gear.

Il Padrone - I see what you mean, here's a route I'm merely toying with. It needs to be finessed of course and I understand what you're saying about SA being better for touring. I have a friend who wants me to visit Tathra, so I'm thinking I would do this along the way if I take this route:
https://www.strava.com/routes/3761880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thoughts?

Great to know on the train and cell service.

Regarding temperatures, I'm showing the average in these parts to be 25-30 degrees. I know that's warm, but does it get much hotter? I was touring northern Spain this summer at upwards of 40 degrees. That was unpleasant, but 25-30 doesn't sound that bad to me.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:28 pm

lrzewnicki wrote:RonK - good suggestions, my only questions about Tas are:
-Is there a good route to do as a loop?
-Is it possible to do this credit card camping? Seems pretty remote to me in areas and I don't plan to have camping gear.
Yes, it is known as the Giro Tasmania. Riding a lightweight road bike it quite possible to do it as a credit card tour. I used my tent only twice, but concluded that it quite feasible to tour without camping even on my loaded touring bike. You can read about it in my journal. In Tasmania.
lrzewnicki wrote:Regarding temperatures, I'm showing the average in these parts to be 25-30 degrees. I know that's warm, but does it get much hotter? I was touring northern Spain this summer at upwards of 40 degrees. That was unpleasant, but 25-30 doesn't sound that bad to me.
Yes, 40 degrees is not unlikely in January. It's an El Niño summer and Australia is currently experiencing one of the hottest years on record. Already there have been major bushfires in WA, SA and Victoria.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Summer temperatures of 35-40+ are quite possible, and can occur for 2-5 days in a row. We have had warnings of a strong El Nino which would give us drought and higher temps this summer. Time shall tell. You should be prepared for the chance of at least one very hot spell of several days,

That route you post is very detailed....... very flat roads through West Gippsland. I'd get bored witless. For a much nicer exit from Melbourne - put your bike on the train to Lilydale (outer east). Ride the Warburton Railtrail to Yarra Junction (gravel surface but very good - I've ridden it on 20mm roadie tyres) then go through Powelltown to Noojee and on through Neerim South to Warragul. I would never go through Gippsland and miss the Strzelecki Ranges south of Warragul and Moe. You could ride the western section of the Grand Ridge Road, and stop at Mirboo North for the Grand Ridge Brewery. That western section is almost all sealed road now. Between Bairnsdale and Orbost that route follows the East Gippsland Railtrail - a great ride, but it is all gravel surface from Nicholson onwards. The only alternative for most of this section is the Princes Hwy - main road, crappy heavy traffic especially in Christmas to early Jan. period.

All along the coast you are going to need to consider checking any accommodation and booking ahead if you are planning to do the credit-card touring thing. Summer time is peak tourist season. Many places will be booked up months ahead. This is another reason why many cycle-tourists do the camping thing - it is much easier to find basic campsites or bush camps that are available to use, even in peak season.
Mandatory helmet law?

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:50 pm

lrzewnicki wrote:https://www.strava.com/routes/3761880
Thoughts?
I can't help on any of the big picture questions because I haven't done any long distance touring. But I'd suggest that your route out of Melbourne could be improved. If you're travelling light and up for a little bit of climbing, something like this would be a picturesque route for the first few days, and is about the same distance as what you'd plotted out:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11439735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It goes something like:
0-5km: ride up the beach from St Kilda to the Sandridge Rail Trail and follow the route of the 109 tram into the city
5-28km: follow the Yarra River past Abbotsford Convent, Collingwood Children's Farm and Fairfield Boathouse to the Koonung Creek (this section is navigationally tricky)
28-49km: follow the Koonung Creek and Mullum Mullum Creek to Ringwood
49-63km: on main roads for a bit from Ringwood to Mt Evelyn (someone may be able to suggest a nicer route here)
63-87km: follow the Lilydale-Warburton Rail Trail to Yarra Junction
87-182km: take the back road via Noojee and Willow Grove to Moe. This section is spectacular but hilly.
After Moe, take the rail trail to Yallourn, C103 to Glengarry and then follow the Gippsland Plains Rail Trail to Stratford.

(Note: I haven't ridden all of this route - although now that I've plotted it out, I'd rather like to!)

[edit: il padrone's suggestion is probably better again]

lrzewnicki

Postby lrzewnicki » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:44 am

Thanks again everyone. I think I'm going to get to Melby and settle in there to decide. All the options, including heading west sound nice, but I should take weather into consideration. I think I will try and get some minimal camping gear, light weight bag and tarp to have that as an option as well. Better safe then sorry.

Il Padrone/CameronP - I'll take both of your entry route suggestions in mind if I head towards Sydney. Mine is detailed because I used Strava and their heat maps with avoiding elevation. That being said, I don't mind to climb especially when it's worth it for road conditions and views.
-Do you have route/exit suggestions for heading west towards Adelaide?

RonK - your Tassie giro looks incredible. My only concern is flying an additional time with my bike and those hefty baggage fees.
-Any insight to what airline is the best/cheapest for this? My bike and case weigh just under 30 kg as I have a hardshell.
-When did you tour Tas? I see you hit some rain and January looks a bit rainy there (perhaps everywhere).
-The roads we're tarmac or did you hit gravel? I saw you took a Surly Long Haul CX with some knobby tires, which I definitely won't have. I've also seen on other sites that talk about this ride and talk about using an MTB.

Appreciate the tips and as I generate some routes, I'll try to run them by you all here. Would appreciate any local insight on best roads to take and conditions.

m@

Postby m@ » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:50 am

Tassie is a good tip. You can expect the possibility of rain any time of the year, but late January to mid February is the most settled time of year. There will be a bit of traffic on the roads though.

As for airlines, cheapest isn't necessarily best... JetStar will have the cheapest upfront fares, but have a $60 surcharge for "sporting equipment other than golf clubs", higher baggage charges with lower weight limits and lost my bike the only time I flew with them. They also charge extra to select your seat, pay with a credit card etc. Virgin fares are more expensive, but they don't charge extra for bikes (although their weight limit is 24kg - if possible you'd be better off splitting some gear into a separate bag and pre-booking online; this also saves your and the baggage handlers's backs).

There are a lot of gravel roads in Tassie but you can do a complete lap without leaving the tarmac. I'd suggest there are more fun and interesting routes if you're willing to hit some gravè though - a 25C tyred roadie is more than capable of rolling on dirt ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:51 am

lrzewnicki wrote:RonK - your Tassie giro looks incredible. My only concern is flying an additional time with my bike and those hefty baggage fees.
-Any insight to what airline is the best/cheapest for this? My bike and case weigh just under 30 kg as I have a hardshell.
-When did you tour Tas? I see you hit some rain and January looks a bit rainy there (perhaps everywhere).
-The roads we're tarmac or did you hit gravel? I saw you took a Surly Long Haul CX with some knobby tires, which I definitely won't have. I've also seen on other sites that talk about this ride and talk about using an MTB.
Rather than fly, probably the most economical option would be to take ferry across Bass Strait and begin the Giro in Devonport. You can simply ride on to the ferry in Port Melbourne and off again in Devonport. It costs $5 for the bike plus your passenger fare. Check the Spirit of Tasmania site for ferry information.

If you don't have a place to store your hard case in Melbourne it's likely a local forum member or perhaps a Warm Showers host could oblige.

I toured Tasmania in spring, when the weather can be quite unsettled. In January the weather should be more settled but the odd showery day is quite possible. Don't let yourself be put off by it.

The roads along Giro route are sealed all the way. My bike for the tour was fitted with fast and light Marathon Supreme tyres, not knobbies.

Oh, one more thing. I noticed you mentioned avoiding elevation. Tasmania is quite hilly - but the scenery absolutely justifies the effort and makes it very worthwhile.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:43 am

Aldi mobile is excellent value for phone and data. They use the Telstra network and if you buy the sim card after the 16th Dec their options are changing so you get more calls and data for the same money. Both pay as you go and their plans are worth looking into and neither have any contract period.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/newplans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:56 am

You could also consider adding the Great Ocean Road into your itinerary by catching the train to Warnambool and cycling back to Queenscliff and ferry over to Sorrento. From there you can head either north to the city or continue east and take another ferry across to Philip Island. From there you'd continue to Wilsons Promontory and then head through some lovely rain forest in the Strzlecki ranges via Tarra Valley and Balook.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:01 am

Aldi mobile (like most of the cheap deals) is only 3G.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:12 am

Does speed matter? I've used maps and it loads almost instantly. I think 4g is also limited to mostly around cities and large towns. Aldi also have very cheap international rates. Last I looked it was 2c per minute to places like the UK or USA. To either land line or mobile phone.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:39 am

A speed may not matter to some. It does to me.

But what is important is that people are aware that a cheap service may not give what they want or expect.

Most of the discounted Telstra services offered by resellers are only 3G.

lrzewnicki

Postby lrzewnicki » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:20 am

I ended up purchasing a Telstra pre-paid SIM and am having it shipped to my place in Melby so I have it when I arrive. They seem to have good range/data plans and speed really shouldn't matter to me, just about the ability to access phone/data hopefully in most places. I will have my Garmin 810 which I'll outfit with the routes and turn by turn for ease of navigation. I will probably get a paper map of where ever I end up as backup.

M@ - good to know on the flights, that's kind of what I figured looking into JetStar. I'll look into Virgin, but I think RonK's idea of the ferry might be more economical, ease of travel and I have the time. I prefer the tarmac, but I know what you mean. Maybe I'll look into a tire swap before I leave or bring a back up pair. Just again, the weight issue and wanted to minimize when traveling.

RonK - I love to climb, hence the lightweight rig. Sometimes when using Strava Route Builder, I just select the minimize elevation option as it cuts out some unnecessary climbs. My thinking on my bike case is just as you mention. I'm a member on WarmShowers so hopefully I can find someone or another friend there to store it for me if I go that way. I'll definitely use your blog as a resource, very helpful and specific.

Leaf T - yes, this is the other idea I will into. Sounds like an interesting route and it seems like the two favored options are Tas and Great Ocean Road. I trust you all against my judgement of thinking the route to Sydney along the coast is the way to go. That being said...a two more questions come to mind:

-Is there a nice scenic way to do the Great Ocean Road leaving Melby on bike? I don't mind taking a train if necessary, but as I understand I have to box my bike up just for that.
-Is there an inland/tarmac route to Sydney? I'm supposed to meet a friend there in January, so the idea of heading that way still appeals to me. Again, this might fall into the same concern and watch out with high temperatures, but I thought I'd ask. I've seen some online, but they all specify stretches where you must avoid the tarmac. So I'm just curious.

Thanks again everyone! Very helpful and I already feel like I have a good lay of the land out there.
Luke

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 am

lrzewnicki wrote:RonK - I love to climb, hence the lightweight rig. Sometimes when using Strava Route Builder, I just select the minimize elevation option as it cuts out some unnecessary climbs. My thinking on my bike case is just as you mention. I'm a member on WarmShowers so hopefully I can find someone or another friend there to store it for me if I go that way. I'll definitely use your blog as a resource, very helpful and specific.
I have updated some broken links on my Tassie journal, in particular the Self-Guided Cycle Touring map link. This map tells you just about everything you need to know, and if you string together and follow the two-week east coast and west coast itineraries no camping will be required. You should be able to pick one up from a Discover Tasmania visitor information centre. It would probably pay phone and book accommodation a few days ahead though since it will be peak tourist season. The route is slightly different to the Giro route, but just as appealing. If you take the ferry to Devonport then you would be at day 13 of the west coast itinerary.

Oh, and when reading the map:
A - major sealed highways.
B - secondary sealed roads.
C - often unsealed.
On your road bike it will probably be best to avoid C roads.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:40 am

lrzewnicki wrote:I trust you all against my judgement of thinking the route to Sydney along the coast is the way to go.
I would not necessarily say that - Syd-Melb via the coast is still an option. Do be aware that along the coast the prevailing summer winds tend to be SE. This may make the Victorian coast section a headwind; once heading north from Eden this is likely to become a tailwind.

Winds do make the Melb-Adelaide route a nice run in summer.
lrzewnicki wrote:That being said...a two more questions come to mind:

-Is there a nice scenic way to do the Great Ocean Road leaving Melby on bike? I don't mind taking a train if necessary, but as I understand I have to box my bike up just for that.
Take the train to Marshal (south of Geelong). No need to box your bike at all, just roll on (will need to remove panniers).

Not really a scenic route at first, but for lower traffic, take the Horseshoe Bend Rd south to Torquay, then head west to the Great Ocean Road.
lrzewnicki wrote:-Is there an inland/tarmac route to Sydney? I'm supposed to meet a friend there in January, so the idea of heading that way still appeals to me.
In summer? Any sealed road route is going to be mighty hot. Yes there are some nice route options that way, that keep you away from the main highways.

Best choice may be something like:

Melbourne - take a suburban train to Hurstbridge.

Ride to Kinglake, Flowerdale, Yea, Maroondah Hwy (or unsealed Great Victorian Railtrail) to Mansfield, Tolmie, Whitfield, Milawa, Beechworth, Yackandandah, Allans Flat, Bandiana, High Country Railtrail to Tallangatta, Granya, Jingellic, Tumbarumba, Batlow, Tumut, Wee Jasper, Yass........ then on to Sydney. I do not know the NSW section so well, but the Tumby/Batlow/Tumut/Wee Jasper route is a very nice touring route. Beyond Yass a sealed-road route is probably going to be something like Crookwell, Goulburn, Marulan, Bundanoon, Moss Vale, Shell Harbour, then north along the coast to Sydney via the Royal National Park. There are other options of course.
Mandatory helmet law?

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:54 am

For the train to or from Warnambool you won't need to box up your bike. You can wheel it on and they have basic bike storage section with a big velcro strap in some of the carriages. On weekends the bike spaces can fill quickly so best catch the earliest train. In Melbs the trains depart from Southern Cross station. You can also catch a suburban train to Geelong and ride from there if preferred.

If you head east after the GOR and go via Wilson's Prom and Balook you can continue to Bairnsdale and further east to Cann River but be aware there may be lots of holiday traffic. The hwy from Rosedale to Cann River is not good riding unless you like putting your head down and clocking up the distance. I rode the rail trail this time last year and from Heyfield to Maffra the road was a better option.

I've not ridden further east than CR but did come down from Sydney via Canberra along the Monaro Hwy. A nice ride but others with more experience may be able suggest better options.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:55 am

Ahh IP beat me to it.

edit- This might be of interest. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:31 pm

Leaf T wrote:For the train to or from Warnambool you won't need to box up your bike. You can wheel it on and they have basic bike storage section with a big velcro strap in some of the carriages.

I
The Warrnambool line is loco hauled and it does not have the big velcro strap option at the end of some carriages. This feature is on the DMUs.
Even better is that there is a large luggage compartment which is at the rear of the train on the down(to Warrnambool) which become the front of the train just behind the loco on the up.

You have to wait at the luggage compartment for the conductor to finish loading luggage then"if there is space" your bike gets loaded.
I have never heard of a bike not being loaded but the conductor will give you the spiel every time.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:39 pm

What a nice thread, love it. Great info.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

lrzewnicki

Postby lrzewnicki » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:41 am

Leaf T/IP - Finally in now scorching Melbourne...I'm thinking the Great Ocean Road looks the best for me. I have some camping gear now as well (sleeping bag and bivy sack) for ease of travel. I've found your camping recommendations on another thread, so I'll refer to those, but just a few more questions:

-Is coming from Warrnambool to Queenscliff still a good view and for winds? I realize I'll be on the not ocean side of the road, but Leaf T that is the way you recommended and I like the idea of coming back towards Melby but staying along the coast meaning I can see more of the southern region and if I really feel ambitious keep going to Sydney :)
-Do I need to book camp grounds/car parks in advance?
-How do I go about locking securing my bike at night?

Ron K - I think Tas is out for me. The ferry fees jumped up in price and the dates aren't too flexible. Maybe next month if I don't go to New Zealand, but thank you for the info. Sounds like a beautiful ride. I also think staying coastal and doing a more classic Aussie route (while it may be hot) will be a good idea. I came here for warmth and beaches, so it seems like a good fit.

Cheers,
Luke

lrzewnicki

Postby lrzewnicki » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Follow up,

Leaf T - do you have further camping recommends from Queenscliff onward to Sorrento, Philip Island, Wilson's Promontory, Tarra Valley, Balook?