NSW Blue mountians

The Seattleite

NSW Blue mountians

Postby The Seattleite » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Hey guys I am from Seattle Washington and love to bike, I live near Blacktown and will be staying in beautiful Australia for 2 years.
I was wondering if anybody knows of any good routes to get up to the blue mountains without having to ride on the highways. I mean highways are fine but I'm not sure how people drive over here yet and i wouldn't like to risk it without getting proper input.
Thanks guys!!

Tourer

Re: NSW Blue mountians

Postby Tourer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 pm

I hate highways.
The link below is a ride we did a few years ago. As we didn't start in Blacktown you will have to work out your own route to connect to this one. I would suggest that if you get to Windsor you could follow the river to Lower Portland. The main roads across the Blue Mountains do not interest me, & are often very bike unfriendly.
Other than a bad section on the Bells line of road from the Mt Wilson turn off to the Darling causeway (8km), the riding is on quieter roads or roads that have no vehicular traffic.
Since we did this ride the bridge at Bowens Creek has been closed. When we were there last someone had cut through the mesh fencing that prevented access across the bridge. If this has been reinstated it would mean a steep carry into & out of the creek, otherwise the crossing would be no problem. Long steep grind from Bowens Creek to Mt Irvine, but plenty of shade.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=t ... =9954&v=3x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Depending on your style of riding, a little further afield you may be interested in:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=t ... 12139&v=Gi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun
Regards
Peter

The Seattleite

Postby The Seattleite » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:25 am

These rides you sent me look amazing and I will defiantly do them as soon as I get some dirt tires, are there any good sites for more paved paths?
Or rides about the same distance but on paved roads?
These rides look like a ton of fun, thanks!

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:36 am

Tourer wrote: Since we did this ride the bridge at Bowens Creek has been closed. When we were there last someone had cut through the mesh fencing that prevented access across the bridge. If this has been reinstated it would mean a steep carry into & out of the creek, otherwise the crossing would be no problem. Long steep grind from Bowens Creek to Mt Irvine, but plenty of shade.
My in-laws have a place in Mt Wilson. Left early one morning and the traffic had picked up by the time I got to Bilpin. GPS showed me the old road across the creek to Mt Irvine so I thought why not? Very rough. Definitely not recommended on a road bike. The bridge wasn't fenced off particularly well but is half rotten. No phone reception so let people know of your intentions.

tomalophicon

Postby tomalophicon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:44 pm

I worked in penrith for 3 months and rode up and down the mountains every day, sometimes all the way up.
The highway is fine. The drivers on the whole are considerate.