Transwa Buses and Bicycles - An Update

Aushiker

Transwa Buses and Bicycles - An Update

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:02 pm

I just made a booking with Transwa for my Holland Track ride (crikey they are getting pricey but at least the bike still travels for only $15 on each leg. Still would be nice if they actually did something for that $15 beside having a bike in the luggage bay, e.g., load the bike, tie it down etc).

Apparently with their newer buses, one has to remove the front wheel. Shouldn't be an issue for most tourers so just a heads-up about the change.

Oh the bus fare was $255.30 ... :shock:
Andrew

rifraf

Re: Transwa Buses and Bicycles - An Update

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Thats a lot :!: :shock:

Did you "enter the promotional code websave1 when making your booking and any full adult fares will be discounted by 15%." :?:

"Terms and conditions:

You must travel between 1 August and 30 November 2016;
The promotion is valid on all Transwa rail and road coach bookings made via our website;
Full payment is required at the time of booking;
No further discounts are available with this promotion;
Bookings made prior to this promotion do not qualify for the discount and cannot be backdated or altered;
The discount will only be applied to full adult fares;
Up to 6 full fares can receive the discount per booking;
Changes to bookings can be made by telephoning 1300 662 205; and
Standard terms and conditions apply."
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:12 pm

rifraf wrote:Thats a lot :!: :shock:

Did you "enter the promotional code websave1 when making your booking and any full adult fares will be discounted by 15%." :?:
No. Wasn't aware of it but had to make a phone booking anyway due to the bike.
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:Thats a lot :!: :shock:

No. Wasn't aware of it but had to make a phone booking anyway due to the bike.
For future bookings, consider booking online first and then ringing to do the add-on luggage (bike/trailer/etc) and you'll still get any discount available as your extra luggage is simply an add-on with a standard price which from memory is $15 for the bike.

I was wondering why it was so dear, but it looks like your journey would include going to Esperance first and then onwards to Hyden?

Big trip on a bus, will you be staying overnight in Esperance to break it up? :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:18 pm

For anyone newish to the greater Perth area (not Andrew) and unaccustomed to bookings and price searches of the website, when you type in your location and destination in the drop down menu, click "East Perth" as it is the required location box for most travel via coach.
Clicking "Perth" will get you a message suggesting the service simply isn't available e.g.. Perth to Meekatharra

It took me a phone call to Transwa to find out why I was getting nowhere with my pricing :oops:

Hope this helps. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:39 am

Transwa has new buses. They are Volvo B11R with Irizar i6 bodies. What this means for bicycle tourists is that the 14.5m, 20-tonne, diesel road coach feature a Volvo chassis and engine, with bodies built in Brazil by Irizar are from what I experienced smaller in the luggage capacity area. This meant that it is most likely you will need to have to drop the front wheel and they are more likely to enforce the two bikes per bus rule. Booking of your bike in advance may be the difference between it going with you and it not.

Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi,

I wasn't aware you could take bikes on the buses, do you have to break them down and fit into a bike bag?

Seems strange if you can that they have the restrictions on the Kalgoolie train to just fold up bikes.

Do you get to drop off bikes at any point on the bus, as on the Bunbury train it's Perth and Bunbury only for offloading bikes?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:12 pm

Wixxy wrote:Seems strange ...
Welcome to TransWA. The fine print varies wildly from service to service and verges on the bizarre in places (as you've discovered). Last time I caught the train from Perth to "somewhere well east of Bunbury" I was supposedly prohibited from bringing "tools" on the train. And the evening service arrives after the last bus. So if you want to get to a hotel in the CBD, it's taxis only. The taxi fair was more than the train ticket.

A surreal experience.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Wixxy wrote:Seems strange ...
And the evening service arrives after the last bus. So if you want to get to a hotel in the CBD, it's taxis only. The taxi fair was more than the train ticket.

A surreal experience.
I had a similar experience some years ago taking a train from Sydney to Canberra.
I'd had to put up with weeks of a relative waffling about how great Canberra was and how it was the best planned city in Australaia blah, blah, blah, only to arrive in the evening by the one train of the day (back then), and the last bus having left over an hour ago.
I was still swearing about it weeks later, especially after the Canberra taxi driver attempted to deliver me "down town" via a scenic route.
Thankfully I'd agreed to share the taxi with a local who put the driver back in his place in no uncertain terms.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Wixxy wrote:I wasn't aware you could take bikes on the buses, do you have to break them down and fit into a bike bag?

No need to break them down, box them up or bag them. You will likely have to remove the front wheel but due to the size of the baggage bays.

Transwa policy on bicycles can be found at http://www.transwa.wa.gov.au/Prepare-fo ... ey/Luggage
Seems strange if you can that they have the restrictions on the Kalgoolie train to just fold up bikes.
Limited space in the carriages for luggage so completely different situation from buses ...
Do you get to drop off bikes at any point on the bus, as on the Bunbury train it's Perth and Bunbury only for offloading bikes?
Your bike gets off where you are getting off ...
Andrew