Esperance - Parmango Rd - Balladonia in WA

bagelonabike

Esperance - Parmango Rd - Balladonia in WA

Postby bagelonabike » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:11 am

Hi all

I'm currently route planning a Perth - Adelaide tour for a mid April departure, with the Nullarbor crossing in May. One route I'm considering is the Paramango road connection from Esperance up to the Balladonia road house - if, and only if, it hasn't rained too much by the time I get there, and I'm in good shape myself.

Has anyone done this recently? I'm especially after recent information if possible as I read the road got maintained last year in April, but who knows to what extent!

It looks like some caravaners went though OK last month, and I saw this post from 2014 viewtopic.php?t=79356 and some older ride journals generally indicating it was difficult and slow but brilliant. Also I found a good desecrption here but I cant tell how recent this is

Any advice would be brilliant...thanks!

RonK

Re: Esperance - Parmango Rd - Balladonia in WA

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:32 am

What is doable in a 4wd is a different to what it doable by bicycle.

Nonetheless it probably is doable if you are well prepared to cope with adverse conditions and possible emergencies.

You will be limited by the weather conditions and how much water you can carry. It would be unwise to rely on obtaining water along the way.

I'd take Baabaa's advice, which is given from a cyclist's perspective, but I'm sure he'll be along soon to tell you himself.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Hmmm rant starts;
FWIW I have been raised on a farm so know isolation and would say am pragmatic in my bushcraft.
I understand how to cope with real heat and cold, wildlife, limited food and rubbish water. I felt somewhat and then at times very isolated on this road and I knew more or what to expect as I have been in and around Esperance for several years prior.
This road is not like most unsealed roads and while may seem like an adventure I can’t see how it would blend in with the other parts of your ride. You really need two different sets of equipment. Wet or dry I don’t think it would make much difference to you on a bike as it is mostly sand and rocky gravel. To me great / wonderful/ spectacular riding can be had east of Esperance so plan to spend time in these magical coastal parks like Cape Le Grand. They are bliss and can be done with whichever bike you take from Adelaide. You will see the same scrub as the road on highway around the Balladonia roadhouse and if you want more of it, you could head up north from the Fisheries Road and spend a day or two in one of the nature reserves and then head back to Esperance and continue west.

If it helps, and I was planning on doing this road now, it would be plodding along on my single speed 29er with 37- 40 wide touring tyres, with all my bikepacking frame bags and also small front and rear panniers on the front and back. You just do not see other people on this road and the farmers are so widespread you just don’t know how far you need if you need assistance. Not sure if you know motor bikes but I would suggest as any low geared, sit up, big fuel tank that can cart a heavy load Ag bike as ideal for this road. Like my 29er I would not like to ride this type of motor bike from Adel to Perth in discomfort just so I could be prepared for one part of the ride which is a part of the adventure which you could still experience by going via highway number 1 and down to Salmon Gums then picking out the parts you wish to see, and not end up hating yourself for choosing.
Rant stops, Yes do this ride but look well beyond what you read on the interwebs.
Call people in Esperance, talk the locals. They thought I was mad and these people knew me. I now think they were right.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:03 pm

I would have no issues going through there on either my Surly Long Haul Trucker (done plenty of outback riding on that bike including pulling 35 litres of water and 20 days of food out of Gascoyne Junction, e.g., my Chasing the Dirt ride) or on my Salsa Mukluk bikepacking bike.

I have also ridden the Esperance to Perth route via the Norsman- Hyden Road on my Surly and the Hyden to Kalgoorlie route via the Holland Track but that was on my Salsa Mukluk. Could have done it on the Surly but the sand sections wouldn't have been much fun.

Finally I suggest you check out GJ Coop's writing which shows that all this and much more is possible and he is actually ridden some pretty amazing outback country particularly on his 12 month zig-zag around the place.

Enjoy the challenge!

bagelonabike

Postby bagelonabike » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks for the information everyone it is much appreciated. Its not an option to be taken lightly that's for sure, and some local knowledge closer to the time will also be gold if I can get that in Esperance.

Aushiker: I have already been reading GJcoop's epic blog , and his journal on crazyguyonabike has some photos of the very same road. Slowly working through your blog also! Some great info there.

Of course plenty of people have done this route already by bike. I have found a few journals from cyclists taking it on but they are all a few years old. None of them are saying it was easy:

This couple sound like they enjoyed the challange
As did Fergus Kerins
And this far more detailed descriptionfrom 2013 is very useful.
Finally, this quite amusing account from someone a little less prepared on this occasion but clearly as tough as nails

As for me I am not deciding anything as yet, but checking out all options :)