Our planned second trip to OZ

mbev51

Our planned second trip to OZ

Postby mbev51 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi,
We are pensioners from the UK. We followed the Murray on our last trip, this one we want to start in melborne and head to canberra via snowy river. I've looked at two blogs on this route, we will basically just do that route. We will stay in. Canberra a few days then head off south to Adaminaby via Shannon flats, to Jindabyne, Tom groggin then down to Albury to pick up public transport back to melborne. Can anyone give us any advice.

mbev51

Re: Our planned second trip to OZ

Postby mbev51 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi, meant to add we will be looking to start in late October.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:22 pm

It is not uncommon for there to be fronts come through in october/ november with snowfall, which can make the high parts of the road from jindabyne through to tom groggin closed except for 4wd and vehicles with chains, and not an option for a bike. It doesn't happen often, but this year for example the peak snow depth was in mid october. At that time of year if it snows the road will clear in a day or so. It just means you will need to keep one eye on weather forecasts, and have a plan B in the unlikely event of your timing coinciding with a potential blizzard.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:30 pm

mbev51 wrote:I've looked at two blogs on this route, we will basically just do that route.
Which blogs - I mean, what exactly is the proposed route?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mbev51

Postby mbev51 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi
One was crazyguyonabike, the other blog was a cycling couple who took a similar route

http://cycletraveller.com.au/australia/ ... ute-page-2

The difference is we'll be going from Melbourne, I believe there are two cycle trails (great southern rail trail and east Gippsland rail trail) to follow before the snowy river. We will not be leaving canberra until late November so snow probably would not be an issue.

Thanks for the replies

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:08 pm

Ah yes, Graham (VintageTourer) is a member here and will probably be along with advice sometime.

That route is also discussed in this thread and in this CGOAB journal.

If you would like to PM me with your email address, I can send you a route with maps to get you out of Melbourne and as far as Jacobs River.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:44 am

A couple of my mates and I rode from Bairnsdale through to Canberra last year - we stayed on the blacktop from Jindabyne to Canberra so the route is not exactly the same but from Bairnsdale through to Jindi it'd be pretty close to what your likely to do. We rode the Tulloch Ard Road from Buchan to Gelantipy which was a lovely (hilly) diversion.

The rails trails are wonderful - the Great Southern now goes all the way to Welshpool - If you wanted an indirect but beautiful diversion through to Sale (Rosedale) you could head north from Yarram to Tarra Bulga NP and take in a section of the Grand Ridge Road - the climb out of the Tarra Valley is i think one of the finest roads around - beautiful - lined with tree ferns and towering Mountain Ash...

Anyhow here is our link to our Bairnsdale though to Canberra ride blog https://cyclingtocanberra.wordpress.com/

Cheers
Last edited by VeloGiro on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:52 am

VeloGiro wrote:A couple of my mates and I rode from Bairnsdale through to Canberra last year - we stayed on the blacktop from Jindabyne to Canberra so the route is not exactly the same but from Bairnsdale through to Jindi it'd be pretty close tho what your likely to do. We rode the Tulloch Ard Road from Buchan to Gelantipy which was a lovely (hilly) diversion.

The rails trails are wonderful - the Greta Southern now goes all the way to Welshpool - If you wanted an indirect by beautiful diversion through to Sale (Rosedale) you could head north from Yarram to Tarra Bulga NP and a section of the Grand Ridge Road - the climb out of the Tarra Valley is i think one of the finest roads around - beautiful - lined with tree ferns and towering Mountain Ash...

Anyhow here is our link to our Bairnsdale though to Canberra ride blog https://cyclingtocanberra.wordpress.com/

Cheers
Velogiro, what an awesome tour....wow you guys are so lucky to have those trails down there, absolutely fantastic.....thanks for posting this up, couldn't stop reading so done the whole blog while having brekky.

I'm contemplating doing a tour on my Motorcycle this coming late April, it's to do with our annual gathering for our Suzuki V-Strom forum group I've been involved with for the past 5 years and this year happens to be the 10th anniversary so the Halls gap at the Grampians is the selected area. So after reading your blog on bicycles, it seems most of where you rode is also accessable to Adventure touring style motorcycles too? I've had little to no experience in Victoria whatsoever so I'm really looking forward to exploring your State....keeping away from Melbourne, that'll be another trip i'll do one day flying down with the Mrs.

Would I be running into any snow by the last weekend in April and would it be too cold by then? Thinking doing some of that trip you did through the snowies then cutting accross westbound towards the grampians.
I'll be allowing 2 weeks from Sydney back to Sydney with the Halls Gap part to be in the middle weekend.
I know I'll be doing this on a motorcycle rather than a bicycle in which i love both modes, but time constraints and reason I'm going is for the Motorcycle trip. I hadn't contemplated going via the snowy till I read your blog....now it's high in the plans...just hope I don't run into Jayson :lol:

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 pm

RonK wrote:Ah yes, Graham (VintageTourer) is a member here and will probably be along with advice sometime.

That route is also discussed in this thread and in this CGOAB journal.

If you would like to PM me with your email address, I can send you a route with maps to get you out of Melbourne and as far as Jacobs River.
None of the places you mentioned in the first post (Shannons flat, Adaminiby, Jindabyne, Tom Groggin) are along the route described above. So you must be planning a different route?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:06 pm

robbo mcs wrote:[None of the places you mentioned in the first post (Shannons flat, Adaminiby, Jindabyne, Tom Groggin) are along the route described above.
If you read the post carefully you will see that is the proposed return route.

mbev51

Postby mbev51 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi
Thanks for the replies. I'm now focussing on the first few days in melbourne. The airport is on the north west side of the city. We will probably be bringing our own cycles, the alternative is to buy new in the city. We would then sell them in NZ. We did that for the last trip, which worked out ok. I prefer our own 26 inch rockhoppers for touring. There is a top 4 caravan park not too far away, we could get a taxi there. We need about 4 nights to sort ourselves out and see a bit of Melbourne.

http://cycletraveller.com.au/australia/ ... mment-1052

At the end of the above blog there is a comment about an alternative route into Melbourne. I've turned it around as we will be exiting the city. I've looked at it on a map, it could be a possibility. It seems to use some rail trails.

The main problem for me with the other route used by both blogs is the traffic and poor shoulder between Welshpool and yarram as mentioned. I would think that road may be busy from Toora. Has anyone any knowledge of the backroads just north of the main rd, that we could use to avoid that section. Thanks

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:57 pm

You may find the Wikicamps app useful for locating campgrounds and accommodation. There is an NZ app too.

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Those roads down south gippy wont be too busy unless your taking the south gippy highway. And even that aint so bad except for long weekend and commuting times. The main issue i would be contemplating is water availability.

And ronks advice regarding the wikicamps app is fine advice. Was about 3 bucks iirc.

mbev51

Postby mbev51 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Just thought, from end of October, will we be ok with the prevailing winds?

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:50 pm

mbev51 wrote:The main problem for me with the other route used by both blogs is the traffic and poor shoulder between Welshpool and yarram as mentioned. I would think that road may be busy from Toora. Has anyone any knowledge of the backroads just north of the main rd, that we could use to avoid that section. Thanks
As VeloGiro mentioned the rail trail has been extended to Welshpool.
I have ridden the roads north of the Sth. Gippsland Hwy between Yarram and Welshpool several times on a loaded touring bike.
I don't recall the exact route but it is just a matter of zig zagging your way between the two towns. Pick the most direct course. It is further and tougher terrain than the highway but pleasant, quiet countryside.
You will encounter an extended steep climb heading north out of Welshpool and undulating hilly roads once heading east on the way to Yarram. Fairly certain I rode the Hedley Range and Tap Tap Roads, amongst others. The road surfaces are both bitumen and dirt, but all easily managed for me on 35mm tyres.
I've also ridden between Toora and Yarram on the highway. At the time the traffic was fairly heavy, mid-week, lots of trucks and the road surface was appallingly bad. Quite literally falling apart. No shoulder. This was after heavy drought breaking rain and roadworks have since been completed.
I still wouldn't ride the highway. The back roads, although quite some distance longer than the highway route are peaceful and scenic. The only stress will be hill climbing. Get used to it, you're heading for the Alps. A good warm up. :D

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:59 pm

mbev51 wrote:Just thought, from end of October, will we be ok with the prevailing winds?
The winds to worry about in South Gippsland are the very strong SouthWest and Westerly blows.
It can really blow down there, hard and often. Actually, from my experience, at that time of year the wind can be strong from either the East or West, but it mostly blows onshore (off the sea) later in the day.
Check the BOM wind rose;
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climate/c ... t=Get+Rose
The linked rose is for East Sale, the nearest record I could find.
You will be close to Wilsons Promontary which is the windiest location in Australia (I'm fairly certain).
You might get lucky, you might not.
That's what bike touring is all about. :D
Oh, and did I mention that Sth Gippsland is one of the wettest and dampest locations in Victoria. :D
I've known it to rain and drizzle for weeks on end.
Dairy and potato country.
One last recollection, truthfully, I once had to get off and push my bike into a howling headwind, downhill. :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Not to mention, there could be snow in the high country in October...

mbev51

Postby mbev51 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:56 am

Hi
Thanks for all your help. My biggest problem is to convince my wife that she really wants to do it.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:36 am

I hope I haven't painted too gloomy an impression of Sth. Gippsland.
My intention was just to convey the type of terrain you will encounter and possible weather conditions.
On only one of my four bike tours down there have I experienced really bad weather, in November. Typically a Southwest change (cold front) arrives, blows for a day or two and then subsides for a few days (or longer) until the next front rolls in.
October is on the cusp of the transition from winter Westerly dominated weather patterns to summer Easterly dominance. Springtime is unpredictable, glorious one day and horrid the next.
It isn't that bad and if luck turns your way and the weather behaves the country is really quite beautiful and enjoyable. Most of your journey through there will be on rail trails and gently undulating and often dead-flat roads.
I love touring down there and hope to go back some time soon.

mbev51

Postby mbev51 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Tim, you have not put me off, I like to know things before I get there. This route sounds awesome especially for our age group. We had a great time on our first trip, this one should be better. Just need to talk the wife around.

Malikaal

Postby Malikaal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:56 am

There are numerous back roads linking Welshpool through to Grand Ridge Road, Tarra Valley National Park, then onto Rosedale or Traralgon. Yes there are hills, the area gets lots of rain, but you are rewarded with spectacular tree fern lined roads under a canopy of mountain ash and crisp fresh air!! The weather can change every hour around these ranges, I know because I live there.....I have sent you a PM.

mbev51

Postby mbev51 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi, my wife is now adamant she doesn't want to go. Is it I advisable to go alone along this route?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 pm

You wouldn't be the first trip do it solo. I guess you need to know yourself to decide.

But if you are uncertain, a lap of Tasmania might be a pleasant alternative.

mbev51

Postby mbev51 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:54 am

RonK wrote:You wouldn't be the first trip do it solo. I guess you need to know yourself to decide.

But if you are uncertain, a lap of Tasmania might be a pleasant alternative.
I've been around Tasmania, albeit a month in a campervan. I'm really excited about this trip.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:26 pm