Camping in safety - Monaro highway

Torana68

Camping in safety - Monaro highway

Postby Torana68 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi all,
I'm in NSW Australia, on a biggish property near the Monaro Highway , I see quite a few people cycling up and down from all over the planet. I know there is no were nearby to camp safely. I'm thinking of opening a section of our place to cyclists to camp on cheaply and safely. Where would I advertise? any European forums you know of? Chinese forums? I have chatted a few times to lone cyclists but I think they may have watched "Wolf creek" once too often and they don't like to chat..... the Chinese , so far , have limited English. If any of you guys have any suggestions, whare to post the upcomming availibility or what you might expect to find a a camp site, please speak up
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

RonK

Re: Camping in safety - Monaro highway

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:48 pm

I was going to say Warmshowers, but if you are going to charge I don't think you can list there.

You could list on Wikicamps, and I think crazyguyonabike has a commercial section.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:39 pm

no it costs to do a toilet and shower so not something I can do free , plus annual insurance......up till then Id be happy for anyone stranded to cycle on in.....

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Torana68 wrote: I know there is no were nearby to camp safely.

I'm genuinely interested in why you think it is unsafe?
Stealth camping can be achieved safely in all sorts of places.
Surely they can pull off the road out of sight and harms way.
I've camped many times in places that aren't permitted; private farm land, roadsides, busy holiday foreshore areas, rail trails, football grounds, all over the place. A small tent, wait till just before nightfall, keep lighting down and nobody has a clue as to your presence.
There are patches of bush and quiet, removed from sight potential campsites everywhere.
Last edited by Tim on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Tim wrote:I'm genuinely interested in why you think it is unsafe?
Stealth camping can be achieved safely in all sorts of places.
Surely they can pull off the road out of sight and harms way.

+1 I have never had a problem finding camping spots even in farming areas. In my experience I can normally find a reserve that I can use as a camping spot (or plan on using one in advance using Google. For example planning on camping in the Pallinup Nature Reserve later in the year on a ride). Maybe things are different on the Monaro Highway?

I have also on more than one occasion simply camped off the road where there is a few trees or the like, e.g., just north of the Shark Bay Road turnoff on the Great Northern Highway. I was between the fence line and the road (somewhere along here), so I guess somewhere between 50 to 100 metres of the highway with all its traffic, mainly trucks going through all night (the mining boom was still on then). Had a quite peaceful sleep in fact.
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:24 pm

the edge of the road doesn't lend itself to camping , if the alternative is to sneak into someones property its not something I can recommend . Between Cooma and Canberra there isnt anything much that I'm aware of, there is a rest stop but I wouldn't call it safe ( and its pretty busy) . Me I would prefer to be off the highway , its very busy with trucks and lunatics...seems popular to ride on though. If you happy doing it rough on the side of a busy highway no toilet no shower and no security , go for it, this is the alternative, you don't have to choose it :D

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Looking at Google maps and earth I agree. The Monaro between Cooma and Canberra doesn't look very inviting from a camping perspective.
There isn't any bush.
At a glance though if I were looking for a spot the Murrumbidgee just off the highway has potential.
I'd be heading off down the side roads looking for patches of scrub and possibly water in one of the numerous gullies.
I'm sure I could camp unobserved and safely somewhere off the main road but it isn't a route I'd choose in the first place.
I sometimes wonder about the planning skills of some of the bike tourers I see in my area.
I frequently see them slogging it out on the Princes Hwy between Bairnsdale and Orbost (Vic) when only meters away is a top notch rail trail quietly removed from the maniacs and bogans.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 pm

it may also depend on if your just trying to cycle as many miles per day or see a bit more than tar and dead Kangas

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:58 pm

"Tim" Looking at Google maps and earth I agree. The Monaro between Cooma and Canberra doesn't look very inviting from a camping perspective.
There isn't any bush.

there is but its all private property , were in a valley near the river but access is all (bar one spot that's 4wd only) at property owners discretion, and a lot are not visitor friendly. Some will actively chase you off......

I'm sure I could camp unobserved and safely somewhere off the main road but it isn't a route I'd choose in the first place.
I sometimes wonder about the planning skills of some of the bike tourers I see in my area.

Most I see are from OS and seem to be doing Cooma- Sydney, via Canberra, perhaps they also did Melbourne to Cooma which would be nice. The roads may be chosen to make it harder to get lost? or maybe to avoid dirt?

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm unsure which bits to open as we have a good number of endangered species .....but this will give you an idea

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Does the old Canberra-Bombala railway line run through or near your property?

If so get on board the campaign to have it converted to a rail trail. :wink:

If I was cycling ACT-Cooma I'd look at Tharwa and Bredbo as stops and avoid the Monaro Hwy where possible. On a recent drive in the area we stopped for a break at Bredbo. I reckon you could easily camp somewhere around there.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Now that's my kind of campsite.
Tiger snake habitat. :D

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 pm

cyclotaur wrote:If I was cycling ACT-Cooma I'd look at Tharwa and Bredbo as stops and avoid the Monaro Hwy where possible. On a recent drive in the area we stopped for a break at Bredbo. I reckon you could easily camp somewhere around there.

AFAK you can't get to Bredbo via Tharwa (unless you use a fire trail and climb the locked gates) don't think there is an alternative from Bredbo to Cooma either , due to the valley........
Snakes , well yes we have snakes , they keep the frogs in line, no tigers seen YET, browns and red bellies yes :)

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:24 pm

This might be why the tourists stick to the highway.
East Gippsland Rail Trail.
He's well over six feet long. :D
I like Red bellied black snakes. Brown snakes are a different matter, not nice.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:10 am

I know there is no were nearby to camp safely.

Torana68, G'day Mate.

Perhaps you don't know that camping is still allowed on the NSW Travelling Stock Routes and in the TSReserves? There are eight Travelling Stock Reserves, the old drovers' campsites beside the Monaro Highway, between Canberra and Cooma.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:34 pm

I know where the Michelago one is I think, is there a locaton map? not what Ill be offering though, not really great and nothing to see. If I can redirect people I will but sounds like its not an option for someone who needs a spot to rest now......
Last edited by Torana68 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:21 pm

... but to get things back on track, if your happy to sleep in the open on the side of the highway , do so, this is not what I want info on. I want to know what you, as a camping cyclist, would want in a paid camping spot :D

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:16 pm

Torana68 wrote:I want to know what you, as a camping cyclist, would want in a paid camping spot :D

A shower, potable water, peace and quiet, pleasant natural surrounds and a level tent site. No Brown snakes or bogans. :D
Nothing else.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Maybe put your place up on
https://youcamp.com/
I dunno I find the roadside rest stops between Cooma and Canberra fine for my needs, the nighttime highway trucks make a bit of noise but with a bike you can normally find a spot up and away from the tar parking spots.
South of Cooma both east (have biked across to Bega and Eden) to the coast and west to the mountains (biked across to Jindabyne and Batlow) gives you plenty of options beside the road and even better in the national parks and state forests with the toilet blocks and wood burning fireplaces (I do get a bit nervous in a tent under those big, big, bigger trees when the winds begin to blow.)
A bed, as is showering is always good but during the cooler months, meh...
Oh and Mr Blake was still out and about last week just east of Boorowa.

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Torana68 wrote:I know where the Michelago one is I think, is there a locaton map?

They put out a book .. IIRC "The Long Paddock" google .. Ahh
The long paddock : a directory of travelling stock routes and reserves in New South Wales / Rural Lands Protection Boards in association with NSW Agriculture Rural Lands Protection Boards ; NSW Agriculture, Resource Information Unit, c2001

In a paid campsite ...
a clean hot shower
potable water
a well grassed site with good drainage
camp kitchen
laundry facility with hills hoist
local shop
pub
bike wash

ummm sunshine during the day without being hot. It can rain when I'm in my tent.

Oh .. and cheap cost wise. :P

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:58 pm

An area to prepare food, to cook and to eat, under cover.

Will your future income from camping, cover the possible change to your insurance coverage. It might pay to request a quote from your insurer.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 pm

WarrenH wrote: It might pay to request a quote from your insure.........

..........................the cycling bit is to help cyclists probably $0 profit once I add in the additional insurance and other bits and pieces..............insurance already looked at and will be included in other enterprises not cycle related. :D ....... when you say cook there wont be a full kitchen available (unless you want a room for the night) maybe a gas BBQ in summer , maybe wood fire BBQ in winter would that do?

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:41 pm

I was going to suggest a rotunda type structure with BBQ and wash-up facility.
A sheltered table with bench or chairs is nice after grovelling around living and cooking at ground level for several days, weeks or months.

Your snake looks like a six footer too babaa.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm

contact Pedal Power Canberra (via their website). ask if you can ask members or do a 'what would you like to see?' story in their newsletter.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:12 pm

What are you trying to achieve here? Do you want to start a business? If you are going to provide facilities, will there be enough visitors to justify your investment?

Seems to me you can't be half-hearted about it - if you are going to spend money then you have to attract enough for visitors for it to be economically viable.

As an example of what can be done, during my last visit to NZ I stayed at Hu Ha Bikepackers - a farm where the old farmhouse has been converted into farmstay/lodge, and Pedallers Rest, a former sheep farm where the old shearer's quarters have been converted to a farmstay/lodge.

Both of these properties are located in places where there are long distances between camping/accommodation opportunities. But of course these are people repurposing facilities they already had.

If you just want to do the right thing and help out the odd passing cyclist then it would probably be best to just sign up as a warmshowers host. Let visitors pitch a tent in your garden and use the bathroom.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...