Bikes on NSW Trainlink buses.

surly56

Bikes on NSW Trainlink buses.

Postby surly56 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Hello folks,
Planning to take a bus to Bourke to start a ride later this year.
Checked the NSW TrainLink website and it lists the maximum bike box size as: Height 720mm, Length 1290mm, Width 200mm.
This is smaller than both Trek and Giant cardboard bike boxes I have at home (both around 780 x 1350 x 200) and very significantly smaller than the Qantas bike box I was intending to use.
Even if I could obtain a NSW Rail bike box here in Victoria, I am very sure my touring bike would not fit.
When I booked via phone, the person to whom I spoke was insistent they quote me the acceptable box size and weight even though I told them I already had the information from the web site.
Has anyone out there travelled on a NSW bus with their bike and if so, did you use your own box/bag and what was your experience?
Did they measure or weigh the box?
Thanks, Ross.

baabaa

Re: Bikes on NSW Trainlink buses.

Postby baabaa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:08 pm

So, by bus from...?
If you catch the train to say Dubbo and then transfer onto the Bourke bus with the same paid tickets I cant see anyone at Dubbo getting out the scales and ruler. What comes off the train would just go onto the bus.
BUT trackwork on the western line may throw this off as you would be starting out on a bus. I would try and work around a day without trackwork.
Country people really don't get that fussed about this sort of thing so I would just take a punt and chill out on...
https://youtu.be/DWSceMtAjPw

surly56

Re: Bikes on NSW Trainlink buses.

Postby surly56 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks for the reply.
Flying in to Dubbo, bus to Bourke.
Might be the TrainLink guy was just being a pedant but it would be reassuring to have someone say "I travelled on a NSW bus with a Qantas bike box and had no issues".
I really don't fancy riding Dubbo to Bourke.
Cheers, Ross