Tassie advice sought

maxknott

Tassie advice sought

Postby maxknott » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:24 pm

I have 10 days to further my tas experience, plan is devenport to cradle Mountain, then over to the east coast. Loop back to dev for the boat back.
Any route tips or suggestions welcome.
Thanks

rangersac

Re: Tassie advice sought

Postby rangersac » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:07 am

Cycle Tasmania has a route guide here which is a good place to start. Obviously any itinerary depends on your fitness, for example Devonport to Cradle can be done in a day, but it is a big day fully loaded at 80km distance and well over 1000m of climbing. Routes also depend on whether you are happy on gravel, and are you planning or camping or credit card touring? Assuming roughly 80km a day is the distance you are aiming for I'd recommend this. Be warned though, Tassie has lots of hills, and they generally aren't nice.
1. Devonport to Cradle
2. Cradle to Deloraine, nicest route is via Mole Creek, but this means you have to do both the Gog and Cethana climbs which Ron will be along shortly to tell you about how much he liked them (his journal which covers some of this itinerary is here), and it's a 100km day.
3. Deloraine to Evandale, via Bracknell
4. Evandale to Fingal via Upper Esk. Again a 100km day but mostly flat once you've climbed out of Evandale in the morning, otherwise there's good camping on the C423 at the Esk River crossing, just off the Fingal Rd.
5. Fingal to St Helens
6. Rest Day
7. St Helens to Derby/ Branxholm
8. Derby/ Branxholm to Pipers River
9.Pipers River to York Town/ Beauty Point
10. York Town to Devonport.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes, Cethana Gorge and the Gog Range sure make for a fun ride. But hey, this is Tasmania, what do you expect but a few hills. And you do get to see Paradise - what more could you ask for.

That would be a nice route you have suggested, and is probably as much as can be squeezed into a 10 day itinerary. Perhaps a bit too much, as I'm sure you would want to spend a day at Cradle Mountain.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Sorry double post
Last edited by maxknott on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Fantastic info, thanks very much. Pics will be @vagabondingmatt. Instagram that is
I will be camping,and i will use this as a blueprint for my trip. My main aim is to see the aurora australis