Budget Hobart Accommodation Recommendations (cycle friendly)

rifraf

Budget Hobart Accommodation Recommendations (cycle friendly)

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Any suggestions or recommendations for cycle friendly accommodation (budget) in Hobart.

Not worried about being super central as hitting the night life isn't what I'll be doing.

I just got off the phone to a backpackers and was a little gob smacked at their suggestion I park my bike down the road where there was a "hitching post" what ever that is. :shock:

Needless to say, I wasn't too interested in having my bike off site from where I stay, let alone outside on the street.

What do/did others do when they were in proximity to the city.

I'm thinking at this stage a few days in or around Hobart to explore the city and its environs.

I wanted to have a look around South East Tassie to determine if its somewhere I might consider moving to.

RonK's link to an inland North to South Tassie ride has awakened a desire to get motivated and seriously consider the hitting of the pedals.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93714

I'm only at the preliminary research stage currently.

My thoughts are to go during winter so as to see and experience it at its worst, weather-wise to better make an informed decision as to its suitability for a longer term stay.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

Trevtassie

Re: Budget Hobart Accommodation Recommendations (cycle friendly)

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Don't come during or close to Dark Mofo, the place is as full as a fat lady's sock. Depending on teenagers, you might be able to crash at our place for a few nights. We're bike friendly and we do Warm Showers anyway.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:07 am

i'm pretty sure some of the backpackers have bike lockups so ring around. Other than that 'budget' options might be a bit limited in town, Hobart has a stupidly high room occupancy rate at the moment so prices are high. If you are prepared to stay out a bit there are some cheaper weekly rentals I know of, PM me for details of these. I can also potentially help you with a secure bike lockup in the CBD during business hours.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Claud Butler Sovereign | Titus Motolite

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Trevtassie wrote:Don't come during or close to Dark Mofo, the place is as full as a fat lady's sock. Depending on teenagers, you might be able to crash at our place for a few nights. We're bike friendly and we do Warm Showers anyway.

rangersac wrote:i'm pretty sure some of the backpackers have bike lockups so ring around. Other than that 'budget' options might be a bit limited in town, Hobart has a stupidly high room occupancy rate at the moment so prices are high. If you are prepared to stay out a bit there are some cheaper weekly rentals I know of, PM me for details of these. I can also potentially help you with a secure bike lockup in the CBD during business hours.

Thanks guys.

Just knowing theres some locals I can get some advice from is huge.

Expect some PM's at some stage with the usual silly "from out of town" questions. :)
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:37 pm

My suggestion is warmshowers (https://www.warmshowers.org/), there are numerous hosts in and around Hobart... What a pity that you're not planning to venture up to the NW!