The Great Ocean Road in Winter

wesdain

The Great Ocean Road in Winter

Postby wesdain » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:23 am

Hey there everyone,

I'm new here and trying to keep up to date with what's going on in the cycling community.

Question.
Has anyone ever cycled the Great Ocean Road during winter?
If you did, what was it like, and is it suicide to attempt it during the winter? :roll:

Mike Ayling

Re: The Great Ocean Road in Winter

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:05 am

I have not ridden it in Winter but my first thought would be that the traffic would be much quieter than in the January holiday season!

I have ridden it in October and experienced rain, wind and some hot days.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/9790

Lots of other journals for the GOR on Crazyguy.

If you wear and carry enough warm/weatherproof clothing it shouldn't be too bad.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:58 am

I've ridden GOR in May and although day temp was around 15c it was easy riding although windy and wet at times. I imagine some areas get very blustery but I wouldn't let it stop you. Winter in this part of Australia is not like a European or Canadian winter although night temps can drop below 8c. Definitely no snow.

This thread has some useful links about weather and averages etc.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89542&p=1353119#p1353119

Depending on your plans it's possible to catch the train to or from Warnambool/Melbourne and ride with the prevailing wind for that time of year.

kicyclist

Postby kicyclist » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:16 am

Like Mike said the roads were quieter. I cycled Adelaide to Melb via the GOR in June and had some days of fair weather. When the inevitable front did hit there was a tailwind for about 3 days. Camping was cold, you will need a good tent and wet weather gear but the trip is doable and worth the effort.