Hakea and Mamang Walk Trails - Fitzgerald River NP, WA

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 21904
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Hakea and Mamang Walk Trails - Fitzgerald River NP, WA

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:59 pm

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with either the Hakea Walk Trail or the Mamang Walk Trail or both walk trails? Just interested in an idea of the walking conditions etc. Thinking of the possibility of riding these tracks along with interconnecting 4WD tracks on my fatbike as a way of getting through from Hopetoun to Bremer Bay. I know there is 4WD access to various points along here but would like to go east west if possible.

Also pre the re-development of Point Ann there was a water tank there. Does anyone know if there is still one there by any chance?

Finally there was a suggestion of limited water at Hamersley Inlet Campground. Can anyone confirm if a water tank is in fact there?

I gather there is no water at Whalebone Creek Campground or Fitzgerald Inlet Campground.

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

redned
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Hakea and Mamang Walk Trails - Fitzgerald River NP, WA

Postby redned » Mon May 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Aushiker wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has experience with either the Hakea Walk Trail or the Mamang Walk Trail or both walk trails?


Every time I have been out that way these tracks have been closed due to fires or flooding.

Aushiker wrote:Also pre the re-development of Point Ann there was a water tank there. Does anyone know if there is still one there by any chance??


How recent is redevelopment? When I was at Point Ann January 2015 there was a water tank, at the day-use area, not the camping area.

Aushiker wrote:Finally there was a suggestion of limited water at Hamersley Inlet Campground. Can anyone confirm if a water tank is in fact there

I gather there is no water at Whalebone Creek Campground or Fitzgerald Inlet Campground.


I don't know Hamersley Inlet or Whalebone Creek, but here wasn't water at Fitzgerald Inlet.

redned
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Hakea and Mamang Walk Trails - Fitzgerald River NP, WA

Postby redned » Mon May 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Checking with someone I know in DPAW fire services, if it isn't too late for your trip!

User avatar
rifraf
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Hakea and Mamang Walk Trails - Fitzgerald River NP, WA

Postby rifraf » Mon May 01, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm sure there will be more than just Andrew who will be looking forward to your update. :)
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

redned
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Hakea and Mamang Walk Trails - Fitzgerald River NP, WA

Postby redned » Thu May 04, 2017 5:48 pm

The word I have is that there is still a tank at Point Ann (it will be the one in the day use area not the camp) but DPAW says not to rely on it. The two occasions I have been there in January there was good water.

As suspected, no water at Hamersley Inlet, Whalebone or Fitzgerald Inlet.

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 21904
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Hakea and Mamang Walk Trails - Fitzgerald River NP, WA

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 04, 2017 6:04 pm

redned wrote:The word I have is that there is still a tank at Point Ann (it will be the one in the day use area not the camp) but DPAW says not to rely on it. The two occasions I have been there in January there was good water.

As suspected, no water at Hamersley Inlet, Whalebone or Fitzgerald Inlet.


Thanks. It was at the old day use area so good to see it is still there. I am not planning to go through to around November so hopefully no flooding and no fires :)
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

User avatar
GJ_Coop
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: geez, I seem to be in NZ
Contact:

Re: Hakea and Mamang Walk Trails - Fitzgerald River NP, WA

Postby GJ_Coop » Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Aushiker wrote:I am not planning to go through to around November so hopefully no flooding and no fires :)


Some of the FRNP tracks were closed due to dieback, to 4WDs, not necessarily due to fire, by my recollection. That might be an ongoing issue.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users