Re: Short tour from Geraldton - Mullewa- Bindoonker

ausrider

Re: Short tour from Geraldton - Mullewa- Bindoonker

Postby ausrider » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:09 pm

retracted

[admin says: as a thread which has gained community responses, the heading has been reinstated.]
Last edited by ausrider on Mon May 01, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Re: Short tour from Geraldton - Mullewa- Bindoon over Easter 2017 on a Surly disc trucker

Postby rifraf » Mon May 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi Ausrider, great to hear you had a trip and enjoyed it.

A little commentary to go with the pics would be great.

What sort of daily Km tally, what you cooked, anything you learned for your next trip?

How was the weather? Any rain? Any tent leaks?

What times of the day did you ride mostly and what were the temperatures like?

You bused it from Perth to Geraldton? What was the fare? How much extra for the bike?

That looks like quite a strip-down of the bike you had to do. I'm thinking you caught one of the new buses I think it was Andrew (Aushiker), telling us about which has a much lower locker space.
The couple of buses I've caught, I didn't have to strip my bike down at all, nor from memory remove the front wheel.
At what stage did you realise you'd need to strip it down? :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Re: Short tour from Geraldton - Mullewa- Bindoon over Easter 2017 on a Surly disc trucker

Postby RonK » Mon May 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Nice little trip, but so much gear. Interesting route through Carnamah, a place which I've had cause to visit myself since my brother once worked there.

But no, not bikepacking. This is bikepacking.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon May 01, 2017 3:18 pm

RonK wrote: ...but so much gear.
Phewy. :D
Be prepared, for every possible eventuality, that's my Boy Scout bike tour motto. :D
Helinox chair, I approve.
Satellite phone, big tick, high approval rating, I want one.
I also approve the dietary choices; Meat pies, Coca Cola and flavoured milk, champion touring food. :D
Were they vegetables I spotted? Leave them at home, they weigh too much.
There are three types of bike touring. Bike packing, fully-loaded touring and over-loaded touring. Guess which I subscribe to? :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Fine until your joints wear out from pushing the load. And they will.

I have achieved touring nirvana. I've spent a month touring and there is not one single piece of gear I carried which remained unused.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon May 01, 2017 6:46 pm

All intended in jest.
That's an impressive looking rig Ron.
Were I to start from scratch no doubt the bikepacking route is the one I'd take.
In actual fact my gear has been whittled down to robust (read heavy) necessities and one or two comforts. There is nothing superfluous in my load, I use everything. It's all good quality though comparatively heavy and sometimes bulky.
Until it all wears out (or I do) I'll be lugging it about for a good while yet.

ausrider

Postby ausrider » Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Looks like this will be the last thread I'll contribute to this section of the forum.

Too much of an eliteness attitude from reading the replies. I do it my own way.
I'm from long distance hiking background (think 1000km and more) so I'm fully aware of the weight and I do it my own way. Every piece of my equipment serves a purpose.

Good luck.

Tim

Re: retracted

Postby Tim » Mon May 01, 2017 8:59 pm

Ease up, I think you've misinterpreted the tone of my and the other's replies.
No offense was intended, just some differing perspectives and a request for more information.
We all do it our own way. If it doesn't agree with yours so be it.
That's what a forum (and life) is all about.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue May 02, 2017 12:58 am

ausrider wrote:Looks like this will be the last thread I'll contribute to this section of the forum.

I'm from long distance hiking background (think 1000km and more) so I'm fully aware of the weight and I do it my own way. Every piece of my equipment serves a purpose.

Good luck.
Oh come on Ausrider, come back with a thicker skin.

No one in here bites (much) :lol:

Welcome to the forum.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue May 02, 2017 7:46 am

ausrider wrote:Looks like this will be the last thread I'll contribute to this section of the forum.

Good luck.
Yes, the elitist attitude of the long distance hiker comes through strongly. :wink:

Apparently the long distance hiker looks down his nose at mere touring cyclists, thinks he knows everything already, and does not believe he could learn anything from our considerable collective experiences. :roll:

He would do well to talk realise that many here come from similar backgrounds and experiences, and do have a pretty good idea what they are talking about, whether it be on foot or on two wheels. :D